The years of discontent, 2022/23

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Here in Scotland they are compensated with a salary well above the National average for their 39 weeks work so we can safely bin the faux concern for teachers' finances based on them having to pay a wee bit more for a summer holiday, especially when considering they can negate that almost entirely by driving a few hours to Newcastle or Manchester.

ย 

Show your work to justify โ€œa wee bit moreโ€, as documented increases for August versus June/July vary from 50 to 126%, depending on destination. In the U.S., the differences start at 23%, and can reach 50-60%.

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

Show your work to justify โ€œa wee bit moreโ€, as documented increases for August versus June/July vary from 50 to 126%, depending on destination. In the U.S., the differences start at 23%, and can reach 50-60%.

I don't think the teaching profession is unique in having to take holidays at peak times, many companies and organisations have fairly rigid holiday scheduling arrangements.ย  Indeed, in many smaller companies' staff would love to have the range of dates available to teachers for summer holidays.ย ย 

ย 

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm absolutely not going to sit and price up a variety of holidays for you.

Why don't you do it and show us all just how those poor teachers just can't afford to go on holiday.

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm absolutely not going to sit and price up a variety of holidays for you.

Why don't you do it and show us all just how those poor teachers just can't afford to go on holiday.

Funny, I just did a quick look at studies of average holiday costs on term breaks versus notโ€ฆso I just did. Sorry it upsets your apple cart.

39 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Funny, I just did a quick look at studies of average holiday costs on term breaks versus notโ€ฆso I just did. Sorry it upsets your apple cart.

Percentage increases alone do not equate to

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

really a nasty hit for... teaching staff.

champ, because their remumeration package, relative to the population at large, is more than generous enough to absorb them.ย 

If you need any real world evidence that this is not actually an issue then simply look at how many teachers manage to overcome this (not that) massive obstacle and go on at least one holiday per year.

It's almost as if those that earn considerably more than the average can afford to spend considerably more.

Edited by Todd_is_God

Is the Fair Fortnight still a thing anywhere?

Good luck getting the second two weeks in July if you weren't married had kids and were over a certain age.

I remember being denied it because some old biddy "always took it because her man didn't get any other holidays".

I could understand her dilemma had he been alive. It was less convincing long after his death.

17 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

With regards working hours, I do approx 35 hrs a week for most of year then significantly less during study leave. I genuinely don't know what people can be doing to work 45 hrs a week almost every week. I do not understand how can you be doing in excess of 20 hrs work a week in addition to your teaching time.

I have made this point to collegues in my faculty who are taken aback by my thoughts.

Also a secondary teacher and completely agree. Lots of martyrs to the cause in the teaching profession. I try to do it all within contracted hours and never do anything at home.

I came into it though in my 30s with my eyes open though: am happy just teaching my classes and not interested in promotion. Those in promoted posts spend much of their time doing mindnumbing admin (SQA, improvement plans, timetabling, etc) and dealing with misbehaviour. The best thing about teaching is.... teaching.

I see a lot of teachers who come in in their early/mid twenties with their eyes on the career ladder. Happy to work long hours at that time of their lives and it becomes their normal way of working. Often marriage and kids then comes along and they have to try and manage it all. The result being half of them look well on the road to burnout by the time they're 35. God knows how they'll manage to get to 67.

You make your bed you lie in it.

4 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Percentage increases alone do not equate to

champ, because their remumeration package, relative to the population at large, is more than generous enough to absorb them.ย 

If you need any real world evidence that this is not actually an issue then simply look at how many teachers manage to overcome this (not that) massive obstacle and go on at least one holiday per year.

It's almost as if those that earn considerably more than the average can afford to spend considerably more.

Really, I didnโ€™t realized they had received a 60-120% increase over the past few years. They certainly have not been remunerated at such a level in any recent times, champ. To suggest teachers are earning โ€œconsiderably more than the averageโ€ again calls for facts, m8.

9 minutes ago, TxRover said:

To suggest teachers are earning โ€œconsiderably more than the averageโ€ again calls for facts, m8.

Hahaha f**k off you absolute zoomer. The average full time wage in Scotland is ยฃ31,000

Teachers in Scotland earn considerably more than this.

Away and take your poor teachers nonsense elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

And yet don't go on a red dotting frenzy when wrong.

Wrong about what exactly?

The purpose of the dotting function is to highlight really shite content. I can see why you feel threatened by this concept.ย 

10 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Hahaha f**k off you absolute zoomer. The average full time wage in Scotland is ยฃ31,000

Teachers in Scotland earn considerably more than this.

Away and take your poor teachers nonsense elsewhere.

Really, but you cannot quote a figure, eh? ยฃ35,841 is the average teacher pay that I see published, with starting rates as low as ยฃ28,000 rising to ยฃ47,000 after many years. So now we have a metric, 13% is โ€œconsiderableโ€, eh? That seems a bit low to compensate for an yearly expense thatโ€™s 60-120% higherโ€ฆor is it your contention that teachers arenโ€™t entitled to holidays?

If you perhaps quoted figures, and refrained from just insulting people and hinting that you have some mystical knowledge, you would be more believable. I havenโ€™t once said poor teachers, but have instead said there is validity to some of their complaints.

5 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Really, but you cannot quote a figure, eh? ยฃ35,841 is the average teacher pay that I see published, with starting rates as low as ยฃ28,000 rising to ยฃ47,000 after many years. So now we have a metric, 13% is โ€œconsiderableโ€, eh? That seems a bit low to compensate for an yearly expense thatโ€™s 60-120% higherโ€ฆor is it your contention that teachers arenโ€™t entitled to holidays?

If you perhaps quoted figures, and refrained from just insulting people and hinting that you have some mystical knowledge, you would be more believable. I havenโ€™t once said poor teachers, but have instead said there is validity to some of their complaints.

Ok, below is the most up to date pay table for teachers.

As you can see only probationary teachers in Scotland fall below the average.

If you cannot see that these salaries are "considerably more than the average" then I have to question what you would suggest qualifies as "considerable"

FWIW I'd quite happily argue that 13% above the average annual 48 week salary for the 39 weeks teachers work qualifies as considerable.

Off you pop.

Screenshot_20230311_151403_Opera.jpg

21 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

FWIW I'd quite happily argue that 13% above the average annual 48 week salary for the 39 weeks teachers work qualifies as considerable.

Oh dear, there you go again on the old 39/48 ploy. Youโ€™d think after being kicked around enough on that youโ€™d give it a rest, but no.

13 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Oh dear, there you go again on the old 39/48 ploy. Youโ€™d think after being kicked around enough on that youโ€™d give it a rest, but no.

Ignoring the facts you asked for being given to you I see.

Speaks volumes.

Please explain how 39/48 is a ploy btw?

35 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ignoring the facts you asked for being given to you I see.

Speaks volumes.

Please explain how 39/48 is a ploy btw?

Really, the facts matched my numbers, so that means you agree they arenโ€™t massively more compensated? The vast majority of that table is the smallest percentage of the group, heads and deputes(?).

22 hours ago, TxRover said:

On the other hand, the โ€œgoodโ€ holidays are all at peak expense times for tripsโ€ฆor, more accurately, companies raise their rates during school breaks. Same thing happens here in the U.S., the โ€œhigh seasonsโ€ for plane tickets and hotel rooms strangely seems to mirror school breaks. Itโ€™s really a nasty hit for families and teaching staff.

ย 

8 hours ago, TxRover said:

ย 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Wrong about what exactly?

The purpose of the dotting function is to highlight really shite content. I can see why you feel threatened by this concept.ย 

There's two red dots issued for something that's factually correct and that's just in the last 24 hours.

Neither posts would be considered shite content either.

Well done in not descending into name calling though.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Really, the facts matched my numbers, so that means you agree they arenโ€™t massively more compensated? The vast majority of that table is the smallest percentage of the group, heads and deputes(?).

๐Ÿ˜‚

Teachers in Scotland are, as demonstrated, compensated more for their services than the population at large by a considerable margin.

You can, therefore, take your faux concern about them being charged a wee bit more for a summer holiday in late August flying from a Scottish airport elsewhere.