The years of discontent, 2022/23

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Where have I said otherwise?

Is the line of argument you guys are taking all about pretending I've said things that I haven't and then arguing against those things?

I ask because you're the 3rd person to do it in the last page or so.

Quite apart from anything else, if you genuinely cared about that group of people, you wouldn't be supporting these ridiculous pay rise demands because that group will ultimately be paying for them.

Don't get me wrong. When it comes to defending your desire to still be able to afford to buy bovril at the football to keep the entire economy afloat, I'll be on your side. But not when the reality of that means that would come at the expense of cuts to the NHS and schools.

It's time for many of you to stop thinking about yourselves and consider the wider societal impact of your pay rise demands. Way too much selfishness from people proclaiming to be left wing.

It’s not principled to accept a reduction in standard of living when things like giveaways to bankers and such occur. Sorry, but when costs are up 10%, I don’t feel bad asking for 10%…and if I’ve been stiffed for years leading up to that, probably more.

8 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I have to say, I wouldn't personally be comfortable being a position where I knew I'd screwed over the people at the bottom of society but telling myself "it's OK cos bankers are screwing them too".

Each to their own though.

You get used to it.

20 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's some schools in England dropping "less popular subjects" such as Art & Design, Geography, Drama, French and German with associated job losses now. I wonder if Scotland will do the same.

This isn't going to end well.

Art, drama and languages to become ‘preserve of private schools’ as state sector cuts bite | School funding | The Guardian

Are you suggesting this is because of teachers asking for pay rises? 

10 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Yup, money will HAVE to come from tax rises or cuts to important public sector areas. That’s the only place where they can cut money from to afford a pay rise.

What a load of utter shite. emoji23.png

Where else can the SG cut money from to afford them, then?

The Tories have done a right number on some folk - "Know your place, drones".

It’s a twisted societal Stockholm syndrome. Can’t actually believe people think there’s no way out of this that doesn’t result in the public sector shooting themselves in the foot.

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I will. You're an idiot.

TBF It's only about 116th time he's quoted some completely made up source to make an utterly pointless contribution in here. 

He'll learn eventually. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

Go on...

Not a permanent solution but an annual grab from the very top earners (talking multi multi millionaires) and “wealthy” businesses’ “profits” until the world situation stabilises. Possibly the wrong phrase to use “Robin Hood” tax as that almost implies it would be a one off thing but busking it on a football forum should allow some semantic leeway.

Moreover;

Do people on hear actually buy this?

b48afa5d328bf6d1aa4f4baf51b29861.jpg

7 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Not a permanent solution but an annual grab from the very top earners (talking multi multi millionaires) and “wealthy” businesses’ “profits” until the world situation stabilises. Possibly the wrong phrase to use “Robin Hood” tax as that almost implies it would be a one off thing but busking it on a football forum should allow some semantic leeway.

How much would that be likely to raise in Scotland, though? Are there a large number of multi multi millionaires here?

I'm not sure the bold bit is relevant either. You're suggesting a temporary solution to a permanent problem.

Edited by Todd_is_God

How much would that be likely to raise in Scotland, though? Are there a large number of multi multi millionaires here?

No idea; there’s definitely enough wealthy businesses making tidy profits that would no doubt ease the situation though.

Do you believe the rich will be making “the largest sacrifice” overall like the chancellor says?

4 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Robin Hood tax.

The Scottish Govt can't introduce a Robin Hood tax as they only have powers relating to (a bit of) Income Tax, Land and Buildings Transaction Tax, Landfill Tax, Council Tax, Non-Domestic Rates, Air Departures Tax and Aggregate Levy.

With no borrowing powers it's legitimate to ask how you divvy up our (almost) fixed budget.

We either get independence or cross our fingers that once in a generation England votes for a progressive government. 

It would actually be helpful for unions legitimately agitating on behalf of their members to put this explicitly at the door of 10 Downing St and help build a civic movement for at least greater devolution but ideally indepdence.

However, that would require them getting their heads out of their arses and not pledging fealty to Labour.

Just now, SweeperDee said:

No idea; there’s definitely enough wealthy businesses making tidy profits that would no doubt ease the situation though.

Do you believe the rich will be making “the largest sacrifice” overall like the chancellor says?

Please stop using anti-Westminster rhetoric in a discussion about the Scottish Government. You're repeatedly doing so when being asked where the SG should divert funds from.

The Scottish Government doesn't have the powers to implement some sort of additional/windfall tax on businesses. So if we could stick to solutions that are actually within the SG's disposal, rather rather than the ones that you would like them to have/wish they had, that would be great. 

The Scottish Govt can't introduce a Robin Hood tax as they only have powers relating to (a bit of) Income Tax, Land and Buildings Transaction Tax, Landfill Tax, Council Tax, Non-Domestic Rates, Air Departures Tax and Aggregate Levy.
With no borrowing powers it's legitimate to ask how you divvy up our (almost) fixed budget.
We either get independence or cross our fingers that once in a generation England votes for a progressive government. 
It would actually be helpful for unions legitimately agitating on behalf of their members to put this explicitly at the door of 10 Downing St and help build a civic movement for at least greater devolution but ideally indepdence.
However, that would require them getting their heads out of their arses and not pledging fealty to Labour.

I do realise this; it’s an ideal situation proposal. I find it funny when folk say the SG should raise income tax but when we can only raise it so much it wouldn’t be enough but they’d still be seen as “raising income tax” which is rarely a vote winner.

Cutting public services seems to be popular though.

Something drastic does need to happen, and something a bit more “outside of the box” needs to happen other than preaching Tory rhetoric like “the only way this can happen is through cutting the public sector and taxing the f**k out of nurses”.

Given that I work for a LA in a non-core service in a pretty well-paid job, obviously the potential for cuts would seem not that great, and I was worried about it for a while, especially when Angus revealed it's mental budget black hole. On the flip side however, I'd trouser an excellent redundancy package, and thanks to the SG's weird obsession with throwing funding at 3rd sector organisations like CAB I'd pick up a job there on similarish money pretty easily. 

I'd probably have to reign in my seethe at the funding CAB get a bit mind you 😂