The years of discontent, 2022/23

You can tell Oaksoft loved negotiating wages rises with his employees.

"Careful what you wish for, son; I've only got so much money and it'd be a wee shame if I had to make you surplus to requirements, know what I mean?"

28 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

@DA Baracus, you can downvote that post all you like but you can't argue with Royal Mail's forthcoming £350 million loss this financial year.

That strike action has contributed to some of that and job losses are inevitable under those circumstances.

As with everything, be very careful what you wish for.

Are we back to you telling everyone when they can and can't strike?

Of course firing folk must be the only way to mitigate losses. There's definitely no other way to do that.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Are we back to you telling everyone when they can and can't strike?

Of course firing folk must be the only way to mitigate losses. There's definitely no other way to do that.

Might be worth starting with the people who mis-managed employee relations so badly that they've apparently managed to turn hundreds of millions of pounds of profit into a supposed £350m loss within months.

You can tell Oaksoft loved negotiating wages rises with his employees.
"Careful what you wish for, son; I've only got so much money and it'd be a wee shame if I had to make you surplus to requirements, know what I mean?"
Disclaimer: May not have happened

2 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

I'd pay good money to watch Oaksoft's TED talk on HR & labour relations.

Which one? The one where workers have nobody to blame but themselves for agreeing to work low-paid jobs, or the one where workers who demand wage increases to keep up with the cost of living should wind their necks in because they'll get the sack?

We've seen the precis for both over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be a short, inexpensive talk.
To employers it would be "treat your staff like shite and pay them too little and they'll walk out on you and your business will close down".
To employees it would be "if you don't like your job, stop whining and find a better one".
And I wouldn't be able to charge much for giving that advice either because the overwhelming majority of functioning Tories share those exact views and don't need to be told.

FTFY.

On 24/10/2022 at 19:25, Clown Job said:

When they scrap the workers rights going into 2023, I reckon that’s when you’ll see the real discontent 

Which wont matter, as the police will be able to arrest you for "maybe thinking about disorder".

My wife was talking about marching on Westminster yesterday til I gave her that wee bit of news in Sunaks new fascist state...............

That's some Unison healthcare members shat the bed and overwhelmingly agreed to accept the offer. Something like 94% in favour. I expect RCN members will be a bit closer.

I wouldn’t be so sure about the RCN. I’ve heard they’ve been recommended to strike.

9 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Which wont matter, as the police will be able to arrest you for "maybe thinking about disorder".

My wife was talking about marching on Westminster yesterday til I gave her that wee bit of news in Sunaks new fascist state...............

That wont be happening. There are a lot of leaders in the police who think that legislation is overstepping big time and I can see it being largely ignored. Remember the tories raging at West Midlands Police for refusing to use another equally shite piece of legislation along similar lines. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Teachers vote to go on strike

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63572743

If teachers get more money, then budgets squeezed for support staff and the EiS will be moaning that there isn't enough support staff.

They're a very powerful union but I'm not sure they've read the room here as teachers got a decent pay bump not that long ago. 

A particularly shite take from the BBC, as ever:

This dispute cast a shadow over schools for a long time. It took years for school sports, drama clubs and other extra curricular activity to recover.

The memory of this dispute - and how it affected many who are now parents, senior teachers and politicians - makes the mere threat of a strike a very powerful weapon.

Well no it doesn't, because the bulk of those extra-hours activities didn't recover. They just don't exist - a withdrawal of goodwill which was fair enough from the teachers' perspective.

The idea that a government will hand over money that doesn't actually exist just because somebody lost their school football team 40 fucking years ago is laughable. There are some rather more pressing issues than that. 

Edited by vikingTON

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I think the question has to be reasonably asked of those striking in public sector jobs in Scotland - what public services do you want to see cut and by how much to fund pay rises above those the Scottish Government is able to pay you from its fixed budget?

aye your right, they should just take what they're fucking given and be happy with it. 

maybe c***s who take 100+ million public contracts from their mates for shite that doesn't exist should be asked first

what do you think the bigger number will be