The years of discontent, 2022/23

The Scotrail thread was taking most of the chat about workers rights and industrial action more generally, so, thought it merited its own thread to track who is walking out when and if it will come to a head in a general strike later in the summer.

Already the Communication Union, Fire Brigade, NHS, RMT, Civil Service, Criminal defence lawyers receiving LegalAid fees, Airline staff and various Police Services have been pushing for wages that come closer to meeting inflation which is into double digits.

Are you about to walk out?

And do you support the workers or are you a member of the bourgeoisie?

Edited by 101

11 minutes ago, 101 said:

The Scotrail thread was taking most of the chat about workers rights and industrial action more generally, so, thought it merited its own thread to track who is walking out when and if it will come to a head in a general strike later in the summer.

Already the Communication Union, Fire Brigade, NHS, RMT, Civil Service and Police Service have been pushing for wages that come closer to meeting inflation which is into double digits.

Are you about to walk out?

And do you support the workers or are you a member of the bourgeoisie?

You forgot barristers.

15 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You forgot barristers.

So I did, interesting their looking for an increase to the amount of money legal aid pays them, I don't think they are in a particularly strong position of I'm honest most folk won't care unless they are a victim of crime or commit a crime and very few folk plan ahead to be either.

As I’m now retired I will not be going on strike but in sympathy I am taking part in a ‘go slow(er)’.

Don't think it will be to long until we hear demands from the rabid right for even more draconian anti-union legislation.  Something than Johnson might just pounce on to deflect from the rest of the shit show and which will appeal to his base.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

So I did, interesting their looking for an increase to the amount of money legal aid pays them, I don't think they are in a particularly strong position of I'm honest most folk won't care unless they are a victim of crime or commit a crime and very few folk plan ahead to be either.

Alternatively most folk won't care because they think all barristers are rich and middle class so are entitled to f**k all.

SG have offered nursing staff 5pct with no further negotiations.  Ballot to follow, though nurses generally being apathetic shitebags will accept the offer or as they usually do only about twenty percent will actually bother to reply to ballot.

Incidentally the Winter of our discontent by John Steinbeck is marvellous.
Problem with Nurses at the moment is there aren't enough of them, they are all working extra and a lot have had enough and left. A payrise won't fix that or morale.

Still having to wear masks isn't helping either.

1 minute ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

Problem with Nurses at the moment is there aren't enough of them, they are all working extra and a lot have had enough and left. A payrise won't fix that or morale.

It's a very strong negotiating position and to accept an offer of 5pct with the shortages, morale etc would be crazy in my opinion.

Let's not forget the almost ten years of pay freezes and austerity.  Wages are way down in real terms.

Acceptance of 5pct would be crazy.

17 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:

That's exactly why they should get more money.  They don't aren't paid enough to attract people to/stop them leaving the profession for the amount of work they have to do.

If they were paid more there could be more nurses and people might also return to the job.

Of course it isn't just paying more.  Investment would have to be made in more training places if more people could be attracted.

Finding the money for the above is of course the perennial issue.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

commit a crime and very few folk plan ahead to be either.

I seen a thing earlier today where a guy walked down the street and stabbed another man in the neck, took his bike and immediately rode to Argos where he purchased a radio then went to Asda and bought a book before flagging down the police van which was rushing to the scene of the stabbing to dob himself in. 

The radio and book were for himself in the cell.

Edited by Mr. Alli

The police not being allowed to go on strike might by why wages often look comparitably bad. 

On that note, what would happen if they just said f**k it and decided to go on strike? What are the Government going to do about it - sack them? 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

The police not being allowed to go on strike might by why wages often look comparitably bad. 

On that note, what would happen if they just said f**k it and decided to go on strike? What are the Government going to do about it - sack them? 

Arrest them all.

The Tory I work directly with at work to me yesterday - 

'Fucking joke the railway workers are striking.  And how does Mick Lynch know how much profit Network Rail made last year? He doesn't work there how does he know how much profit they make? Anyone could say that about any company and demand a payrise'

Me - 'Ummmmmm, the Companies House website m8?'

45 minutes ago, Tynie Tappertit said:

It's a very strong negotiating position and to accept an offer of 5pct with the shortages, morale etc would be crazy in my opinion.

Let's not forget the almost ten years of pay freezes and austerity.  Wages are way down in real terms.

Acceptance of 5pct would be crazy.

My gf’s just been on holiday with a mate who works in Aus who gets paid probably double what she does, plus paid overtime and generally better conditions. Think she was fairly sickened by it tbh. The number of her contemporaries currently over there is mental, and I can see her itching for us to move elsewhere at some point of things don’t improve comparatively here. 

The Tory I work directly with at work to me yesterday - 
'Fucking joke the railway workers are striking.  And how does Mick Lynch know how much profit Network Rail made last year? He doesn't work there how does he know how much profit they make? Anyone could say that about any company and demand a payrise'
Me - 'Ummmmmm, the Companies House website m8?'
The fact strike action is upsetting so many gammon faced Tories pretty much shows what side you should be on.