The years of discontent, 2022/23

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Oh it does you know.

I'm not saying this to the accompaniment of violins because I recognise that the  holidays are terrific.

However, I have genuinely profound regret that I couldn't follow Queens to Denmark with my mates 15 years ago.  That would have been brilliant.  It seemed incredible at the time that we'd qualified for Europe and I knew then, as now, that it was an opportunity that was very unlikely to ever return.  

in almost any other comparable job, I could have gone.  In this one, I couldn't.  Having fixed holidays, even long fixed holidays, has drawbacks.

Sickie?

Just now, Sergeant Wilson said:

Sickie?

When I taught in London there was one guy who was never off except one day every year - Cheltenham Gold Cup Day.  It was a running joke - and the head knew as well.

I suppose he got away with it because he wasn't off any other time.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

In the home end. 

I think the entire trip would have been tricky. 

There were even some bloody Education Officers from the local authority who went.

They sacrifice teachers' generous holidays when they take that route, but in the unlikely event of Queens getting into Europe, they're laughing.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

There were even some bloody Education Officers from the local authority who went.

They sacrifice teachers' generous holidays when they take that route, but in the unlikely event of Queens getting into Europe, they're laughing.

You give up to easy.

24 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

When I taught in London there was one guy who was never off except one day every year - Cheltenham Gold Cup Day.  It was a running joke - and the head knew as well.

I suppose he got away with it because there weren't any meddling kids. 

download (5).jpeg

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Talking of teachers taking sickies to go to away European games - I'm sure there's one well-known United fan who did that and was caught on the TV.

He's no longer a teacher but for an entirely different reason.

I think tadger inspector Spence preferred to be known as a lecturer rather than a teacher.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Nobody's on a cross.

Why do you feel the need to be such an arsehole in every discussion?  It's a bit weird and unnecessary.

Of course teachers' generous holidays offset some of that.  I wouldn't claim otherwise.  The fact that they're fixed, however, does dilute the advantage of them a little though.

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Perhaps we should just change the thread title to 'Teachers Being Ludicrously Out of Touch', because it really doesn't. 

Each to their own but I'd find that sort of forced annual leave to be completely unsuitable to my lifestyle.  I reckon most of my annual leave is taken when teachers are working.

13 hours ago, KD1711 said:

Can only second what is said here. 

I was on a training course one week which is clearly scheduled in our diaries and some of the folk in our class were doing getting hounded to do tasks for managers despite clearly being booked elsewhere, and they thought it would bode well for them to do the work rather than pushing back.

One guy in my previous office did 600 hours unpaid overtime from January to November of last year to make manager which is a grand total of 4k payrise.

Some folk brag about the hours they work like it is a personality trait, one guy in the office got asked if things were okay at home from his manager as he ONLY did 140 hours unpaid overtime.

Get in the bin. 

Despite my general stance on doing unpaid additional hours, I agree that some wear it as a badge of honour.  For me, where it is 'normal' practice then it's fine but where folk would normally expect to be paid for additional hours they shouldn't be doing it unpaid on any kind of a regular basis.

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Talking of teachers taking sickies to go to away European games - I'm sure there's one well-known United fan who did that and was caught on the TV.

He's no longer a teacher but for an entirely different reason.

Can't be a teacher because he was abusive to children. Still wanders the corridors (or did after being struck off) at Tannadice.

There are a lot of United fans who want his head on a stick, fairly.

4 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Can't be a teacher because he was abusive to children. Still wanders the corridors (or did after being struck off) at Tannadice.

There are a lot of United fans who want his head on a stick, fairly.

As I said - no longer a teacher for an entirely different reason.

13 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Just admit you shat it to throw a sickie mate instead of giving loads of weak excuses.

I tried to book a holiday for one of Saints‘ European games and my employer at the time denied it. I remembered to call in sick the first day but after that was just on it so it went out the window. They didn’t seem to find it suspicious that my sick days coincided perfectly with my denied annual leave.

14 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I tried to book a holiday for one of Saints‘ European games and my employer at the time denied it. I remembered to call in sick the first day but after that was just on it so it went out the window. They didn’t seem to find it suspicious that my sick days coincided perfectly with my denied annual leave.

In November at my old work I requested 5 days off, which was denied, 1 day into the 5 days that were denied I asked the manager again for the rest of the week off on holiday as it was evident I'd do nothing as the client didn't have stuff ready, he denied and I threw a sicky the rest of the week with no consequences.

On 05/03/2023 at 10:14, Hedgecutter said:

Genuine question: how many hours would a teacher put into preparing for the new term ahead?

By a crude calculation, taking your own homework into consideration:

Teacher: 38 (weeks) x 45hrs = 1,710hrs p/a

Average punter with five weeks leave: 47 (weeks) x 40hrs = 1880hrs p/a

= difference of 170hrs, ie. 20 working days.

... so even with the unpaid overtime you state, minus a week's worth of training days that's still three weeks less work than most folk? (6% less)

On 05/03/2023 at 12:29, Monkey Tennis said:

It's 39 weeks.

Interesting that except for the 1 week difference clarification that this post wasn’t responded to. Essentially even including doing the extra overtime suggested, still significantly less work required than the vast majority of jobs.