The years of discontent, 2022/23

7 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I'd like to know the " terrible working conditions" that train staff have to endure

"Terrible working conditions" often comes across as hyperbole thrown about by seemingly anyone not working 9-5 and not having to deal with the public.

37 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

I'd like to know the " terrible working conditions" that train staff have to endure

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/dec/06/we-havent-had-a-rise-for-three-years-a-striking-rmt-train-guard-speaks-out

“Morale is at a rock bottom. We put ourselves at risk during the Covid pandemic, getting key workers around. We were hailed as heroes and to now be treated so appallingly and demonised by the government is outrageous.

Congratulations to everyone who had COVID KEY WORKER!!!!111!!!! on their bet builder. 

“The more important element [to the strike] is the shredding of our terms and conditions that we have fought for for decades, including secure employment. We fear that the government and train operating companies want to remove guards from trains and have trains operated by drivers only.

“This would have major safety implications. Guards don’t just open doors – we make sure no one is in contact with the train, or in the dispatch corridor. “Trap and drag” – being pulled along the platform – is a serious risk that is massively increased if there’s no human being. Drivers would have a bank of CCTV along the view of the train but each screen is about the size of a postage stamp. It’s a massive retrograde step [that would also affect] those who require additional assistance, including disabled people, the elderly and parents with buggies.

And this usual bullshit rears its head again. The overwhelming majority of operators do not want to operate trains with drivers only - because this would be an abysmal service that would also (more importantly for companies) lose money like a sieve through ticket avoidance.

What is being removed is the premise that some guy gets a special job title for pushing a button to open a door, when a ticket inspector/sales assistant can provide most of the same assistance roles to the elderly, disabled, cats stuck up trees that they're pretending guards are tirelessly doing right now. 

Indeed we already know that guards are a redundant role because they haven't actually been required to operate the Strathclyde suburban network for decades with no litany of horrendous passenger maimings.

It is this absolutely risible nonsense that needs to be binned or else none of them will have a job in the near future. 

I'd be interested to know what the Army high command think about being drafted in again.  The Army picked up lots of things in Covid and this will be the third year in a row that will require them assisting the civilian authorities.  This is in the middle of a significant training committment to Ukrainian soldiers, with several thousand Ukrainian troops being trained at a time in the UK.  Shipping arms to Ukraine will also require Army manpower.

3 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The RMT are ripping it now…

It's the members voting on it...

As it still looks like they are pushing for some of them to get dumped into a permanent nightshift which seems completely unreasonable, so understandable that they have told the negotiators to get back to the table with the employer.

The UK government need to get the finger out.

Given the time of year, it's only a matter of time until bosses get woken up by a series of spirits* that'll force them into a payrise through the use of emotional blackmail, putting a swift end to the whole mess.

*may be in Muppet form

15 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Given the time of year, it's only a matter of time until bosses get woken up by a series of spirits* that'll force them into a payrise through the use of emotional blackmail, putting a swift end to the whole mess.

*may be in Muppet form

No spondulicks for us paramedics

No shekels for us customs officials

It's worses for us nurses

19 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'd be interested to know what the Army high command think about being drafted in again.  The Army picked up lots of things in Covid and this will be the third year in a row that will require them assisting the civilian authorities.  This is in the middle of a significant training committment to Ukrainian soldiers, with several thousand Ukrainian troops being trained at a time in the UK.  Shipping arms to Ukraine will also require Army manpower.

It is not the job of the military to be strike breakers.  They should not be put in that position.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It is not the job of the military to be strike breakers.  They should not be put in that position.

It is in fascist administrations. Imagine how popular it would be in some circles to get the squaddies in to batter f**k out of striking workers and take over their jobs.

Not that I'm saying we're heading in that direction or anything.

On 12/12/2022 at 22:36, 101 said:

It's the members voting on it...

The UK government need to get the finger out.

I dunno, a 9% offer really isn’t that bad tbh (it’s not still a pay cut so don’t wheel that line out). I’d also be very interested to see what percentage of Union voters are now actually for industrial action continuing as the support must be waining rapidly.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

1 hour ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I dunno, a 9% offer really isn’t that bad tbh (it’s not still a pay cut so don’t wheel that line out). I’d also be very interested to see what percentage of Union voters are now actually for industrial action continuing as the support must be waining rapidly.

Rest of the deal looks brilliant as well

I've been borrowing my mum's car (vroom vroom!) the past couple of days so been listening to Five Live on my morning commute rather than my usual podcasts.

The presenters are really not even hiding their anti-union stance.