The years of discontent, 2022/23

55 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

A 5% increase for a teacher at the top of the scale (after teaching for 6 years) works out at something like a £110 increase a month in take home wage.

My costs for electricity/gas, shopping and petrol have gone up more than that per month over the last year. I would be surprised if it was not the same for the vast majority. I simply don't think I should be expected to be worse off just because other people earn less money than me.

Someone on an annualised salary of over £50k bemoaning a 5% pay rise is quite something tbh. 

You're perfectly entitled to ask for what you want, btw, but be honest about what it is - an opportunistic cash grab to drive your base salary up for years to come.

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

Someone on an annualised salary of over £50k bemoaning a 5% pay rise is quite something tbh. 

You're perfectly entitled to ask for what you want, btw, but be honest about what it is - an opportunistic cash grab to drive your base salary up for years to come.

Bear in mind teachers got a 10% increase a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've asked you already.

what are you on about with this "annualised salary" caper?

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I've asked you already.

what are you on about with this "annualised salary" caper?

Teachers are paid on the basis of a 10 month contract, because that is what they work. To highlight how well they are actually paid (especially in this thread where salaries are quoted all over the shop) then looking at what they are paid over 12 months is a fairer comparison to those figures.

If, due to unexpectedly higher costs over a one or two year period, teachers find they can't afford to be working just 10 months out of 12 then they have two months of the year where they effectively do not have a job where they could go get one.

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Teachers are paid an annual salary.

It's based on working 195 days per year, 190 of which are in front of a class.

Thanks for telling me.  I'd no idea.

Todd is claiming that the salary somehow needs scaled up by a massive amount to reflect what it really is.  He appears to be under the impression that teachers get paid over ten month contracts, like lowly footballers or something.  

It's nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Thanks for telling me.  I'd no idea.

Todd is claiming that the salary somehow needs scaled up by a massive amount to reflect what it really is.  He appears to be under the impression that teachers get paid over ten month contracts, like lowly footballers or something.  

It's nonsense.

That does ignore the fact that if they choose they can take on other work during the 170 days they aren't conteacted to work if they're struggling  

22 minutes ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

Given the inflation rates everyone is worse off even after pay rises.

I'm a local government employee and the teachers' grasp on reality and more particularly sense of entitlement is extraordinary. 

The previous pay rise was not 10% in a year. It was just over 13% over 3 years.

Edited by Am Featha Taigh Nan Clach

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Where are you getting ten months from?

It's like any job.  There's an annual salary and there's a holiday entitlement.  

It isn't though. 

Any other job you work all year, with statutory holiday entitlement,  or in some cases particularly in the public sector a higher entitlement  

Not many compare to the teachers' working year.

1 minute ago, MacDonald Jardine said:

That does ignore the fact that if they choose they can take on other work during the 170 days they aren't conteacted to work if they're struggling  

As could any employee during weekends, holidays, nights etc - basically any time off they have.

There's clearly resentment here over teachers getting decent (fixed) holidays, but it's not particularly relevant.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Where are you getting ten months from?

It's like any job.  There's an annual salary and there's a holiday entitlement.  

You're not thick so I'm not sure why you are struggling to understand this.

Their holiday entitlement essentially covers the Christmas Holidays, Easter Holidays, October Week and the bank holidays.

They do not get 12 weeks paid holiday - the 7 weeks in the summer is like you or I taking unpaid leave, hence the earlier poster asking about why they claim not to get paid for their holidays.

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

As could any employee during weekends, holidays, nights etc - basically any time off they have.

There's clearly resentment here over teachers getting decent (fixed) holidays, but it's not particularly relevant.

Decent? It's 47% of the year.

I accept within that window the holidays are fixed. 

Just now, Todd_is_God said:

They do not get 12 weeks paid holiday - the 7 weeks in the summer is like you or I taking unpaid leave, hence the earlier poster asking about why they claim not to get paid for their holidays.

Genuinely, where are you getting this from?

I've never once heard teachers' summer holidays identified in the way you're attempting to here.