Jump to content

The year of discontent, 2022


Recommended Posts

Unions have indicated that 5% will not be accepted according to STV news tonight. Not even going to put it to the members by the sound of it. I can't actually recall any of the unions involved stating what their members are holding out for.

That's not stopped folk on here coming out with wild percentages that they claim the Unions have demanded.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


That's not stopped folk on here coming out with wild percentages that they claim the Unions have demanded.
National news suggesting they want a flat rate so those at the bottom get more in % terms than those further up the scale which sounds fair enough. £1400 mentioned for all LA staff which is 5% at 28k so if they did come up with that figure it would be greater than the current offer for those earning under 28k (a fair chunk in LAs) and proportionally less the further you go above that.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

that's a question for the facebook community page 
Our strike starts today for 1 week initially. The information is they will continue to collect general refuse (green bin here) but to do so all other recycling bin collections will be suspended. That's absolutely fine if it pans out that way. Presumably they must have enough non unionized workers willing to continue to provide that service.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 hours ago, Clown Job said:
Mon the workers 

Unions have indicated that 5% will not be accepted according to STV news tonight. Not even going to put it to the members by the sound of it. I can't actually recall any of the unions involved stating what their members are holding out for.

The claim submitted in January was £3000 for all grades, plus other things relating to terms and conditions. I doubt that's the final negotiating position.

When you consider local government staff in England are being offered £1925, 5% won't be acceptable for the majority.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If they waited til winter for this action, the public could burn the building piles of un-collected rubbish on the streets to provide free heat & cooking facilities to fight the inevitable domestic energy crisis. Very thoughtless the planning of all this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The claim submitted in January was £3000 for all grades, plus other things relating to terms and conditions. I doubt that's the final negotiating position.
When you consider local government staff in England are being offered £1925, 5% won't be acceptable for the majority.
Yes saw the English offer mentioned this morning. Still along way apart going by that.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

If they waited til winter for this action, the public could burn the building piles of un-collected rubbish on the streets to provide free heat & cooking facilities to fight the inevitable domestic energy crisis. Very thoughtless the planning of all this.

What are you going to cook,  rats maybe?

 

download.jpeg-1.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What are you going to cook,  rats maybe?

And would that be any worse than McDonalds, KFC, Kebab shop takeaways, ready meals that we hear so much about those on the lowest incomes being forced to eat as they cant be arsed to cook afford the 'premium' prices of fruit & veg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

And would that be any worse than McDonalds, KFC, Kebab shop takeaways, ready meals that we hear so much about those on the lowest incomes being forced to eat as they cant be arsed to cook afford the 'premium' prices of fruit & veg.

Probably not. I like to mix it up. I wouldn't eat plain roast vermin every day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Probably not. I like to mix it up. I wouldn't eat plain roast vermin every day.

Rat cake…rat sorbet…rat pudding…strawberry tart? Or maybe unjugged rabbit fish?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'll ask a silly question but can't they just give the bin persons whatever they want and put the cost on the council tax?

Well it will need to be paid from somewhere, so yes, they could.

Watch all those "✊✊✊️ solidarity with the workers" people complain at that, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well it will need to be paid from somewhere, so yes, they could.
Watch all those "️ solidarity with the workers" people complain at that, though.
I fully expect council tax to go up anyway so I've no issue if it's to give the workers a wee bit more money. It certainly doesn't go towards filling in the potholes in every fucking street in the country
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I fully expect council tax to go up anyway so I've no issue if it's to give the workers a wee bit more money. It certainly doesn't go towards filling in the potholes in every fucking street in the country emoji19.png

The only flaw with dumping a load of additional money into a council (or any public sector body) is that you’ll not get the money flowing directly to improve wages of existing staff. Instead they would probably create a whole new department to administrate this, thereby soaking up a lot of the cash before it hits pay packets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'll ask a silly question but can't they just give the bin persons whatever they want and put the cost on the council tax?

Not exactly because its not bin folks wages that are being negotiated, it's every local authority worker, as the pay agreement covers everyone (except the sainted teachers)

It's also a national negotiation through COSLA and they can't compel individual LAs to do anything with council tax.

And also this is the pay negotiation for 22/23. The council budgets inc. Council tax were already set in February this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, deegee said:

The only flaw with dumping a load of additional money into a council (or any public sector body) is that you’ll not get the money flowing directly to improve wages of existing staff. Instead they would probably create a whole new department to administrate this, thereby soaking up a lot of the cash before it hits pay packets.

You would and that's what happens every year because its literally a pay negotiation not a no strings grant.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

You would and that's what happens every year because its literally a pay negotiation not a no strings grant.

Thanks and I take and agree with your point. So, from my point of ignorance (always worked in non unionised private sector), do you agree a sum figure of around £1500-2000 would be the best way to lift lower paid staff and give more direct support to the most needy?

I’ve not followed this too closely but seen this plan on a recent post (I think this is the English plan?) and on the face of it, it sounds a good idea and targets the poorer staff but still gives something to everyone on a higher salary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 101 changed the title to The year of discontent, 2022

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...