The year of discontent, 2022

3 minutes ago, 101 said:

No it's not but it seems a bizarre position to take the side of supporting workers rights whilst undermining their rights weeks later. 

A brief bit of publicity that they can point to as supporting workers, but which will change nothing their party set in motion and continues to pursue, is very much worthwhile PR.

16 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Irrespective of what's in the manifesto, people should know that a vote for those c***s is a step towards re-introducing serfdom. 

I think a surprising number of people are already aware, and consider serfdom an essential part of being British.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I think a surprising number of people are already aware, and consider serfdom an essential part of being British.

"but i didn't think they meant I'd be a serf" 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

"but i didn't think they meant I'd be a serf" 

Sadly, I get the impression some people will vote for the leopards eating their face because they believe it's their place. So long as Her Maj is safe from the hungry cats, eh?

And if that's what they've decided, they're not wrong.

8 hours ago, Left Back said:

Was this not attempted during May's time?  Think it was in the manifesto but didn't get passed.

Couldn't tell you TBH.

Along with probably most other people, I tend not to pay any attention to the manifestos of any political party.

23 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Great way to ensure a return to the belligerent, confrontational picketing we used to see, which no doubt the Police will be expected to step in and resolve. I would hope that Police forces and individual officers would, in 2022, be little bit more sympathetic to workers and less inclined to wade in heavy-handed, but I wouldn't pin any hopes on that. 

"Morning Chief Constable, how much did you say, was it 10%? Well you can have 12% if you go and boot f**k out of those pickets.

We're on our way."

Interesting to see the Tory transport spokesperson say that the Glasgow subway strike in not indeed over pay amidst the current economic climate but instead "cynically" timed to disrupt Rangers fans :lol:. Where does Dougal find these folk to sit in his shadow cabinet.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

Interesting to see the Tory transport spokesperson say that the Glasgow subway strike in not indeed over pay amidst the current economic climate but instead "cynically" timed to disrupt Rangers fans :lol:. Where does Dougal find these folk to sit in his shadow cabinet.

Are they timing the trains to only run after the game’s finished? 

5 hours ago, 101 said:

To be fair, we've got people on this thread wittering on about serfdom. 😂

Stupidity is not the sole preserve of the Tories.

That's because workers striking and getting large pay-rises affects everyone either through increased fares or reduced public services because the government is having to pay some of those rises.
A handful of union members deciding not to vote being none of your business isn't remotely comparable.
Did you really need that explained? 

Surely ScotRail being taken public remove any profit taking from the large private companies thag owned it previously. This money can be used to pay a fairer wage to workers which will ensure a proper service.

Plus they shouldnt need to increase fares. If they actually decreased fares and did the above then more people would use the trains. Which is the surely a huge benefit considering the climate stuff ongoing

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

Surely ScotRail being taken public remove any profit taking from the large private companies thag owned it previously. This money can be used to pay a fairer wage to workers which will ensure a proper service.

Plus they shouldnt need to increase fares. If they actually decreased fares and did the above then more people would use the trains. Which is the surely a huge benefit considering the climate stuff ongoing

There wasn’t any profit to remove.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Not sure what any of this has to do with what you were responding to but happy to answer your points.

Left Back deals with the profit point above. Scotrail have taken over a company which was making losses for years.

I agree in principle that public travel should be nationalised. Primarily because I want to see non-profit making services running again to help the most disadvantaged.

A nationalised industry still needs to turn a profit. Not just to build new infrastructure and pay higher wages but to give a financial return to the government so they can spend that money on other government priorities. They need to pay for the loss-making services as well. Fares would only be reduced if you had a government prepared to use some of that return for that purpose. Another government might prioritise funding social care with that money or boosting benefits or maybe even bolstering defence or building a new nuclear power station. Because the government is running everything, they'd need much more staff and new logistical systems. Then they'd need to pay to buy out the private company running the service. All of this could be ruinously expensive. Then you have political parties having to negotiate with unions and we're back to the 1970s where people blamed the government for everything. Why would any government want to expose themselves to that electoral risk?

That sentence of yours in bold doesn't flow logically BTW. More people might use the trains. But they might not. And that risk is fully on the government instead of shareholders. Cuts would need to be made elsewhere to close the gap.

There's a myth that nationalisation would end all of the problems in privatised industries but in reality it's a lot more complicated than that.

Edited by oaksoft

On 22/07/2022 at 11:47, 101 said:

They might do but the Tories and the public more generally condemned P&O's behaviour. Which now seems utterly ridiculous thing to have done considering their actions over the last few months. 

That said the Tories are the party of government they have the power to end strikes but instead to trying to get the economy out a tailspin they have spent the last few weeks and will spend the next few weeks having a popularity contest stuffed full of unfunded tax cuts for the wealthy whilst at the same time saying there is no cash for public service pay rises.

I find it a bit odd that to justify a 5% network rail raise over a number of years you have to cut nearly a third of staff, when a report came out today saying they aren't doing their job properly in Scotland which could have serious safety issues.

For balance it's worth adding - so do the unions.

I'm not defending the Tories on any of this but I'm certainly not defending the unions either on the issue of pay rises for train drivers.

I have a little more sympathy for the police pay demands and also today's council worker demands.

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

For balance it's worth adding - so do the unions.

I'm not defending the Tories on any of this but I'm certainly not defending the unions either on the issue of pay rises for train drivers.

I have a little more sympathy for the police pay demands and also today's council worker demands.

Why do you have such a beef with train drivers? Why are police/council workers more deserving?

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Why do you have such a beef with train drivers? Why are police/council workers more deserving?

For a start, the police demands seem to be more reasonable. If I recollect, they asked for 5%.

A lot of council workers are amongst some of the lowest paid in the country and some of them could well go under once October's fuel increase hits.

Train drivers on £50k are not a priority but have elbowed their way to the front of the queue for more money from a limited pot of public finances at the expense of everyone else in the public sector, falsely portraying themselves as being hard-up. What they are doing is the equivalent of parking in disabled bays because they don't want to get wet from the driving rain.

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, oaksoft said:

For a start, the police demands seem to be more reasonable. If I recollect, they asked for 5%.

A lot of council workers are amongst some of the lowest paid in the country and some of them could well go under once October's fuel increase hits.

Train drivers on £50k are not a priority but have elbowed their way to the front of the queue for more money from a limited pot of public finances at the expense of everyone else in the public sector, falsely portraying themselves as being hard-up.

Gotcha. 

On low pay / asking for below inflation wage rises = good guys.

Everyone else = do one. 

Just now, oaksoft said:

Train drivers on £50k are not a priority but have elbowed their way to the front of the queue for more money from a limited pot of public finances at the expense of everyone else in the public sector, falsely portraying themselves as being hard-up.

I don't think that's a particularly fair assessment tbh. Train Drivers are simply represented by a Union which don't appear to be fucking around when it comes to taking action. Also, aren't a lot of the issues with rail strikes as much to do with changes to their terms and conditions as much as to do with pay? I don't think striking on that basis is particularly poor form. Also, certainly with the well-publicised RMT strikes, Tory arseholes are trying to focus on train drivers rather than the much lower paid other employees, ancillary staff who are being fucked over by the rail companies. 

Agree with you re the Police and lower paid Council employees. The likes of clerical staff are barely above minimum wage as it is. Increased fuel costs are going to be horrendous, especially since many are now being told they have to WFH, therefore will have increased costs from being in the home more often, using more electricity, heating etc in winter. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Gotcha. 

On low pay / asking for below inflation wage rises = good guys.

Everyone else = do one. 

It's nothing to do with "good guys" or people "doing one".

It's about asking those with the broadest shoulders in the workforce to recognise the seriousness of the situation for those at the bottom and hold off making unreasonable demands on the public purse and to hold off on making large demands.

This inflationary period won't last. It's temporary. That's why we can't be handing out massive pay rises - those would be permanent and lead to job losses down the line when inflation recovers.

The whole thing is a nuanced, delicate balance.

• 101 changed the title to The year of discontent, 2022