The years of discontent, 2022/23

Bumping this - quite a few schools in Scotland will have been closed yesterday and today.  Primary teachers were on strike yesterday, secondary today.

Any P&Bers on strike?  Any P&Bers have to take time off to look after their strike afflicted children?

Have a gander at the contracts the Royal Mail are dishing out and trying to get the workforce to sign.  Now ask yourself after reading sections 9.1 to 9.3.  Would you sign that?

https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/LTB-017-enclosure-New-Contracts-of-employment.pdf

And just for clarity you will make no where near 28k a year.  Take about 10k off that.

Edited by Lofarl

21 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Have a gander at the contracts the Royal Mail are dishing out and trying to get the workforce to sign.  Now ask yourself after reading sections 9.1 to 9.3.  Would you sign that?

https://www.cwu.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/LTB-017-enclosure-New-Contracts-of-employment.pdf

And just for clarity you will make no where near 28k a year.  Take about 10k off that.

Think I'd pass on that

39 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Core hours of work are 6am to 10pm Monday to Sunday. It is anticipated for full time hours you will work 5 days in every 7, pro-rata for part-time. Your scheduled duty attendance times will be allocated to you by your line manager. However, these hours may change from time to time after giving you reasonable notice. Actual hours will be confirmed up to 24 hours before shift.

"up to 24 hours before shift"

Tell me I'm reading this wrong or being really stupid

11 hours ago, Lofarl said:

I wouldn’t sign it as it is but if they specified a weekly maximum hours I don’t think an annual flexi system would be too bad in principle. But obviously they haven’t and you’d have rocks in your head to sign that.

Out of interest, why would you not make the 28k ?

59 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I wouldn’t sign it as it is but if they specified a weekly maximum hours I don’t think an annual flexi system would be too bad in principle. But obviously they haven’t and you’d have rocks in your head to sign that.

Out of interest, why would you not make the 28k ?

28k will be based on full time 38/40 hours, those contracts are only 25 hours.

31 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

28k will be based on full time 38/40 hours, those contracts are only 25 hours.

That's what i first thought but clause 5 clearly states that's for the "hours of work specified below" and the hours of work are specified as 25 per week. 

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don’t think an annual flexi system would be too bad in principle

It's only flexi time on their side, send you home when it's not busy with no warning one week, and the next make you do 12 hour days with no overtime. You wouldn't be able to plan anything to do on your time off.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It's only flexi time on their side, send you home when it's not busy with no warning one week, and the next make you do 12 hour days with no overtime. You wouldn't be able to plan anything to do on your time off.

I get that, but that’s also about how it works not about the principle. It should  be relatively easy to specify notice periods and minimum hours as well as maximum hours.

I don’t know whether the Union is objecting to the flexible working in principle or in the form it’s been proposed. If it’s the latter then it’s easy to see why they would object. They don’t seem like a particularly bolshie union and I’d guess they probably do appreciate that they’ll need to give some ground, so agreeing to some form of flexibility is probably inevitable.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If you already thought this was the case in November, you must be cross at what's on the table now.

I've no idea what's on the table now, tbh, however it makes no difference to what I said in November.