The years of discontent, 2022/23

This is an absolutely ridiculous take on things. I’m pretty sure you realise that I meant an extra few of pence on IT wasn’t aimed at people who can’t afford to pay their fuel bills or feed their families? 
I’m talking about above middle earners taking a slight change & the richest actually paying their way, slap 70% on earnings over £100k. Let’s see how many blood suckers leave. 

[emoji23][emoji23]

9 hours ago, TxRover said:

I think, on the whole, it’s simply an outgrowth of the societal shift to valuing capital over labor. While it isn’t as profitable to the capital investor to run a business with labor receiving a fair portion of profit, it is effective in increasing the consumption numbers overall. Henry Ford was a nasty, anti-labor b*****d, but he clearly understood that paying his workers more of the money that would be profit otherwise increased the market for his product. In much the same way but in reverse, these hoarding, bottom line chasing b*****ds are holding down economic growth, and cutting off their own noses to spite their faces.

Until passive money uses are more fairly taxed to encourage a more reasonable balance of re-investment and income uses of these funds, we’ll have this problem. Additionally, with the interconnected financial world of today, there is the bugaboo of the tax haven to be fought.

The unfortunate reality is it is unlikely this matter will be fixed without a literal revolution when this capitalist focused world implodes from income disparity. That was narrowly avoided in the U.S. in the 1890-1940 range due to actual Government actions, unfortunately, true actions of this sort seem increasingly unlikely worldwide.

Can't be said enough. The tax system rewards wealth more than work. Tax unearned income. 

And it's labour

6 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

12 Ruel Street, Mount Florida. 

And 'Mintermind', shirley?

ETA - in case of any controversy, https://cartographic.info/has it as Mount Florida. A quick google reveals the estate agents have it as both Cathcart and Battlefield, but one of those estate agents wanted to have our place listed as Muirend and you could have physically spat into Cathcart station from it with a tailwind. 

https://cartographic.info/uk_street/showv2.php?p=Glasgow City&t=Mount Florida

You've got to love estate agents' tenuous grasp of geography...classic examples are that huge swathe of housing estates out by Patterton station that they optimistically list as Newton Mearns, and advertising places out in Yoker or Knightswood as "five minutes from the vibrant west end" which would only be true if you were strapped to a cruise missile.

Oh, and their insistence that anywhere in Kirkintilloch is actually Lenzie...

6 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

You've got to love estate agents' tenuous grasp of geography...classic examples are that huge swathe of housing estates out by Patterton station that they optimistically list as Newton Mearns, and advertising places out in Yoker or Knightswood as "five minutes from the vibrant west end" which would only be true if you were strapped to a cruise missile.

Merchant City can be as far out as Tollcross.

Drumchappel = South Bearsden

On 14/11/2022 at 20:06, coprolite said:

Thanks. I may end up being worse off but i'll give earning more a shot. I appreciate that trying is the first step on the road to failure but, what the hell, you only live once.

While i'm at it, i'll keep making the case for other people to have the right to stand up for themselves even if the dice are loaded and the good guys lost. 

Greenied for the Leonard Cohen reference. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the c**t question here.

I work for a 3rd party organisation based at a university but not having any direct involvement or connection to the uni beyond the office space.

The uni staff are on strike today and are picketing outside the building. Totally support their right to strike and their reasoning behind it, hope they get what they're after, my wife works for the uni and is striking with them.

I had a prearranged, in person meeting today with external collaborators who also don't work for the university so I came into the office. On my way in I got a decent amount of hassle for crossing the picket line.

Didn't really have any other option but to attend the meeting as I'm generally not privy to the details of the uni strikes and the uni was open. So to the initial question, am i the c**t here?

I work for a 3rd party organisation based at a university but not having any direct involvement or connection to the uni beyond the office space.
The uni staff are on strike today and are picketing outside the building. Totally support their right to strike and their reasoning behind it, hope they get what they're after, my wife works for the uni and is striking with them.
I had a prearranged, in person meeting today with external collaborators who also don't work for the university so I came into the office. On my way in I got a decent amount of hassle for crossing the picket line.
Didn't really have any other option but to attend the meeting as I'm generally not privy to the details of the uni strikes and the uni was open. So to the initial question, am i the c**t here?

No

No you're not. It's a criminal offence to intimidate anyone crossing a picket line.

It's also wildly different from the old days where crossing a picket line generally meant scabbing whereas now you have multiple unions/employers in any given setting and sometimes only particular workers are out.

We still have folk in our work who won't cross a picket line under any circumstances in which case they are deemed to have joined the strike.

I take the cowards way out and work from home when unions/service, other than my own  are striking in my workplace. 

An example today is support workers in schools who aren't out are expected to turn up to work.

They can choose not to in an act of solidarity but I don't think anyone - even teachers- would expect them to. they won't see a penny from any teacher pay rises and its not as if they would be carrying out the role of a striking teacher.

Did they know the details of your employment? Seems a bit bizarre that they were giving you grief. I don't even think that constitutes "crossing the picket line" as you do a completely different job by the sounds of it.

1 hour ago, ilostmyself said:

No, not at all. 

The strikes today are from lecturers, but others working at the universities (admin staff, cleaners, caterers, etc.) are not striking. Many people crossed the picket line to get in and go to their work.  

38 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Did they know the details of your employment? Seems a bit bizarre that they were giving you grief. I don't even think that constitutes "crossing the picket line" as you do a completely different job by the sounds of it.

Old school strike rules would be anyone entering the struck facility would be “crossing the picket line” and subject to various abuses, regardless of their duties, with a safety of life exception grudgingly allowed. These days who the feck knows what some of the strikers are thinking. There is a wide range of attitudes, militancy, and such across almost any striking group that knowing what is “accepted” and what isn’t seems damn near impossible.

39 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I said that as I got challenged, I don't work for the uni but I support you in the strike.

The guy came back with "well this is our place of work, you shouldn't be going in" over and over and he was pretty indignant, he was partially blocking my way. Didn't get too heated or anything and I eventually just squeezed past and went in but I hadn't experienced this in any of the previous strikes at the uni.

27 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

I said that as I got challenged, I don't work for the uni but I support you in the strike.

The guy came back with "well this is our place of work, you shouldn't be going in" over and over and he was pretty indignant, he was partially blocking my way. Didn't get too heated or anything and I eventually just squeezed past and went in but I hadn't experienced this in any of the previous strikes at the uni.

Crack him in the jaw.