The years of discontent, 2022/23

The claim submitted in January was £3000 for all grades, plus other things relating to terms and conditions. I doubt that's the final negotiating position.
When you consider local government staff in England are being offered £1925, 5% won't be acceptable for the majority.
Yes saw the English offer mentioned this morning. Still along way apart going by that.

2 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

If they waited til winter for this action, the public could burn the building piles of un-collected rubbish on the streets to provide free heat & cooking facilities to fight the inevitable domestic energy crisis. Very thoughtless the planning of all this.

What are you going to cook,  rats maybe?

download.jpeg-1.jpg

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

What are you going to cook,  rats maybe?

And would that be any worse than McDonalds, KFC, Kebab shop takeaways, ready meals that we hear so much about those on the lowest incomes being forced to eat as they cant be arsed to cook afford the 'premium' prices of fruit & veg.

6 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

And would that be any worse than McDonalds, KFC, Kebab shop takeaways, ready meals that we hear so much about those on the lowest incomes being forced to eat as they cant be arsed to cook afford the 'premium' prices of fruit & veg.

Probably not. I like to mix it up. I wouldn't eat plain roast vermin every day.

40 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'll ask a silly question but can't they just give the bin persons whatever they want and put the cost on the council tax?

Well it will need to be paid from somewhere, so yes, they could.

Watch all those "✊✊✊️ solidarity with the workers" people complain at that, though.

Well it will need to be paid from somewhere, so yes, they could.
Watch all those "[emoji110]️[emoji110]️[emoji110]️ solidarity with the workers" people complain at that, though.
I fully expect council tax to go up anyway so I've no issue if it's to give the workers a wee bit more money. It certainly doesn't go towards filling in the potholes in every fucking street in the country [emoji19]

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I fully expect council tax to go up anyway so I've no issue if it's to give the workers a wee bit more money. It certainly doesn't go towards filling in the potholes in every fucking street in the country emoji19.png

The only flaw with dumping a load of additional money into a council (or any public sector body) is that you’ll not get the money flowing directly to improve wages of existing staff. Instead they would probably create a whole new department to administrate this, thereby soaking up a lot of the cash before it hits pay packets.

1 hour ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

I'll ask a silly question but can't they just give the bin persons whatever they want and put the cost on the council tax?

Not exactly because its not bin folks wages that are being negotiated, it's every local authority worker, as the pay agreement covers everyone (except the sainted teachers)

It's also a national negotiation through COSLA and they can't compel individual LAs to do anything with council tax.

And also this is the pay negotiation for 22/23. The council budgets inc. Council tax were already set in February this year.

11 minutes ago, deegee said:

The only flaw with dumping a load of additional money into a council (or any public sector body) is that you’ll not get the money flowing directly to improve wages of existing staff. Instead they would probably create a whole new department to administrate this, thereby soaking up a lot of the cash before it hits pay packets.

You would and that's what happens every year because its literally a pay negotiation not a no strings grant.

30 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

You would and that's what happens every year because its literally a pay negotiation not a no strings grant.

Thanks and I take and agree with your point. So, from my point of ignorance (always worked in non unionised private sector), do you agree a sum figure of around £1500-2000 would be the best way to lift lower paid staff and give more direct support to the most needy?

I’ve not followed this too closely but seen this plan on a recent post (I think this is the English plan?) and on the face of it, it sounds a good idea and targets the poorer staff but still gives something to everyone on a higher salary.

9 minutes ago, deegee said:

Thanks and I take and agree with your point. So, from my point of ignorance (always worked in non unionised private sector), do you agree a sum figure of around £1500-2000 would be the best way to lift lower paid staff and give more direct support to the most needy?

I’ve not followed this too closely but seen this plan on a recent post (I think this is the English plan?) and on the face of it, it sounds a good idea and targets the poorer staff but still gives something to everyone on a higher salary.

Yeah. 

In recent years I have had 1% with the lowest paid workers getting 3% and that's fine by me. I think the payment was capped too so the managers on 6 figures didn't get the full 1%.

I haven't done the sums but whichever one of those, variable %age or flat cash increase, is best for those on the lowest pay I'd go with.

I don't need 5%. The cost of living increase will be a pain in the arse for me but I won't have the heating off or miss a meal. 

Edited by invergowrie arab

This isn't a bin workers dispute. This is the multi union, council wide pay dispute covering every LA worker in Scotland except teachers. The bin men are being "used" (along with non teaching school staff from next month) as those are seen as the groups of staff where striking will have the biggest effect on the public and hence give their claim the most traction. To use Council Tax as an example, pull those staff out and no one would bat an eyelid as no one would notice any affect on their day to day life.

The media have covered this in such a way as to portray it as a bin workers dispute, it really isn't so the cost to C/Tax payers if simply bumping it up to cover any excess rise would be huge.

I drove past a picket line today in Grangemouth, at the docks roundabout. Have no idea what it was for, but gave them a toot and a thumbs up anyway, and they all waved. It was a small moment of brotherhood and solidarity that gave me an enormous sense of wellbeing.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I drove past a picket line today in Grangemouth, at the docks roundabout. Have no idea what it was for, but gave them a toot and a thumbs up anyway, and they all waved. It was a small moment of brotherhood and solidarity that gave me an enormous sense of wellbeing.

Parklife