The years of discontent, 2022/23

30 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
23 hours ago, Leith Green said:
The Labour leader now seems to think 5% might work - which is bizarre on the basis that it was on the table before the strike................
They only lead the council by working with the tories - as has happened in 2 or 3 councils this year, embarassing stuff.
I genuinely dont think they know what they are doing.
Streets are minging in the city centre, by the way - but the bit that really gets on my tits is people who "lay their rubbish" on top of already overflowing bins................ffs, what do you think is going to happen???? In Edinburgh where its always windy ????
Fucking take it home and put it in a bin that isnt full - fannies.

5% offer was only made on Friday after the strikes began, it was 3.5% before that (upped from the original 2%)

Sorry, you are right - it was the Scottish Govt who were previously offering some of the cash to make up the 5% offer and asking the LAs to cover the difference.

Rats are fine, for most people it's just the shock of seeing one. I worked on the bins for 7 years and seen plenty, I was fine in places I knew there was a good chance of seeing one, used to fucking jump out my skin when one popped out where you don't expect it.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
17 hours ago, Shotgun said:
Because I’m hard as nails, there’s very few things that frighten me. Rats are one of those very few things. Fucking hate those b*****ds. Apart from the one in Ratatouille. He was alright.  

Domestic rats are class. Dumbo rats in particular are about as gentle as creature you could come into contact with. Much better pet for a child than rubbish hamsters and gerbils.

We have a hamster, it's a shite pet. I want a dog.

Hamsters fall into a large category of pet that I see as shite.

And that is, any pet that will absolutely f**k off and leave you without a seconds hesitation, the moment it gets a chance.

Fish, you don't build up a relationship with but they can't go anywhere, and are class to look at.

Cats and dogs become part of the family and would very rarely if ever leave of their own accord.

Rodents etc are simply your captive until they die or get a chance to run.

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And that is, any pet that will absolutely f**k off and leave you without a seconds hesitation, the moment it gets a chance.

Fish, you don't build up a relationship with but they can't go anywhere, and are class to look at.

Cats and dogs become part of the family and would very rarely if ever leave of their own accord.

Cats fall into that category.  If it gets better scran two doors down the road it's packing its bags.

37 minutes ago, RH33 said:

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hamsters are tremendous pets, if you get a Syrian and you can be arsed taming it. Cheap as f**k and pretty amusing wee fuckers. We've had two of them escape their cage - one seemed to have a wander around the flat, chewed some mail, before getting bored and falling asleep in the gap between two chests of drawers, the other decided it wanted to piss about climbing on a clothes airer thing 😂

Cats are weapons-grade arseholes.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I've known folk who kept rats that were clearly attached to their owners. A kid I went to school with used to wander around town with his rat on his shoulder. We've had a couple of great rabbits too; had the run of the house, and would run back to their hutch to sleep or pish. I think it depends on how smart they are, as the wife's friend tried to do the same with her bunny, and it just chewed everything and pished all over the floor.

But aye, hamsters and guinea pigs have always seemed a bit thick. Probably because, as Jupe says, people don't train them.

When i was wee i kept beasties i found in the garden as "pets". I lived on the edge of the Jungle in Borneo so had a giant centipede,  some sort of slow worm or blind snake, loads of beetles, cicadas,  gourami and a fighting fish. All in plastic tubs.  I couldn't catch the lizards. 

Came back to the UK and I had a pet snail. It was pretty shit so i let it go.  

All better than the cat though.  That little c**t waits until everyone else has gone to bed,  movie/match lined up on the tellyand a couple of tins, i put my feet up,  then: miaaaaooow miaaaaooow! MeeeeeeOooooooOOW! Demanding little b*****d does it on purpose.  And it hates me. 

20 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
21 hours ago, Shotgun said:
Because I’m hard as nails, there’s very few things that frighten me. Rats are one of those very few things. Fucking hate those b*****ds. Apart from the one in Ratatouille. He was alright.  

Domestic rats are class. Dumbo rats in particular are about as gentle as creature you could come into contact with. Much better pet for a child than rubbish hamsters and gerbils.

Unconvinced. 

No way would I let one of those Siberian Hamsters across the threshhold.

Unions have indicated that 5% will not be accepted according to STV news tonight. Not even going to put it to the members by the sound of it. I can't actually recall any of the unions involved stating what their members are holding out for.

That's not stopped folk on here coming out with wild percentages that they claim the Unions have demanded.

That's not stopped folk on here coming out with wild percentages that they claim the Unions have demanded.
National news suggesting they want a flat rate so those at the bottom get more in % terms than those further up the scale which sounds fair enough. £1400 mentioned for all LA staff which is 5% at 28k so if they did come up with that figure it would be greater than the current offer for those earning under 28k (a fair chunk in LAs) and proportionally less the further you go above that.

that's a question for the facebook community page 
Our strike starts today for 1 week initially. The information is they will continue to collect general refuse (green bin here) but to do so all other recycling bin collections will be suspended. That's absolutely fine if it pans out that way. Presumably they must have enough non unionized workers willing to continue to provide that service.

13 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:
14 hours ago, Clown Job said:
Mon the workers 

Unions have indicated that 5% will not be accepted according to STV news tonight. Not even going to put it to the members by the sound of it. I can't actually recall any of the unions involved stating what their members are holding out for.

The claim submitted in January was £3000 for all grades, plus other things relating to terms and conditions. I doubt that's the final negotiating position.

When you consider local government staff in England are being offered £1925, 5% won't be acceptable for the majority.

If they waited til winter for this action, the public could burn the building piles of un-collected rubbish on the streets to provide free heat & cooking facilities to fight the inevitable domestic energy crisis. Very thoughtless the planning of all this.