The years of discontent, 2022/23

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Can I get a pay rise please? I make less than £35k a year.

Sorry there isnt enough for everyone.

Although I have a household income north of 100k I actually have a large mortgage, repayments on two top of the range cars and my two weeks in the Maldives is still on the credit card.

So you see we are actually all in the same boat. 

12 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The one on £100k gets a 10% NI discount after about £50k though. 

Until 2003 when the upper band was introduced, they paid zero NI above the primary threshold.  It's more of a surcharge. 

Edited by Michael W

9 minutes ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

The one on £100k gets a 10% NI discount after about £50k though. 

10% points off their NI rate.  Not a 10% reduction.  Instead of paying 13.25% they pay 3.25% on earnings over £50k.

NI making up a small part of the tax take someone on £100k still pays a higher percentage of their salary in tax than someone on £43k

16 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

No. 

Tory found.

15 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Sorry there isnt enough for everyone.

Although I have a household income north of 100k I actually have a large mortgage, repayments on two top of the range cars and my two weeks in the Maldives is still on the credit card.

So you see we are actually all in the same boat. 

Another one!

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Aye go on then. How much do you want?

At least 11%

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I can offer 2.5%...or trade your pay rise for what is in this mystery box 

TerrificMajorGrassspider-size_restricted

The box! The box!

No, wait...

This new "leave the millionaires and corporations alone, the middle class should pay more to support the paupers" thing is wild.

Astonishing to see the private self-interest of the 1922 Committee being supported by ordinary people. Well, fairly ordinary.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Always find this batshit crazy. Someone on £43K paying the same % of tax as someone on a 6 figure income. I don't know how they decide tax percentages but I'd have thought 30% for those on say £43k-99K would have been more appropriate as opposed to the 20% jump after 43K.

Lol wonder why you picked these numbers

1 minute ago, BFTD said:

This new "leave the millionaires and corporations alone, the middle class should pay more to support the paupers" thing is wild.

Astonishing to see the private self-interest of the 1922 Committee being supported by ordinary people. Well, fairly ordinary.

Who is saying anything remotely like this?

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

10% points off their NI rate.  Not a 10% reduction.  Instead of paying 13.25% they pay 3.25% on earnings over £50k.

NI making up a small part of the tax take someone on £100k still pays a higher percentage of their salary in tax than someone on £43k

A reduced tax rate from 13.25% to 3.25% isn’t a 10% reduction? 

27 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I don’t really follow these sort of threads that well tbh but I don’t think anyone is saying this on this.

14 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t really follow these sort of threads that well tbh but I don’t think anyone is saying this on this.

Yeah, there seems to be a fair bit of "let's be realistic, nobody's going to make rich people pay, so the middle-income earners should take up the slack". Surprisingly, not just from Oaksoft for once!  :o