The years of discontent, 2022/23

33 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Might be wrong but I don't think the police can go on strike.

As it is just now, it might be changed so that junior ranks can go out on strike, not sure how it would work in principle but its increasingly being brought up by the union. I saw as far back as 2008 86% of members wanted full union rights, I guess if they make a better offer then that might go away.

I absolutely support the workers in all of the professions mentioned in this thread so far. 

Too many big organisations are stuck in the pre-covid mindset that they can treat their workers like shit and they will sit back and take it. people will quite rightly look elsewhere, or as we are seeing now, take strike action. These Tory c***s cannot be allowed to erode workers rights any further.

It’s difficult to see how this all ends well tbh.

The various governments will resist a pay rise in line with inflation fiercely because at some point the cost of living crisis will end and those wages become over inflated (relative to the market and in the opinion of the government, not my view!). 

But the cost of living crisis is so severe that the workforce now literally can’t afford to accept pitiful increases that are below inflation so feel no choice but to strike, and more power to them. 

It’s a toxic mix.

11 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The various governments will resist a pay rise in line with inflation fiercely because at some point the cost of living crisis will end and those wages become over inflated (relative to the market and in the opinion of the government, not my view!). 

But the cost of living crisis is so severe that the workforce now literally can’t afford to accept pitiful increases that are below inflation so feel no choice but to strike, and more power to them. 

It’s a toxic mix.

I don't really think it does end. Not for ages anyway.

It's easy to fixate on whether this group or that group deserve 10% or 15% or whatever.

But the issue is those at the top of the tree hoarding wealth and making the rest of the population suffer.

In centuries past we'd be nearing the point of beheading them, but instead we'll all just carry on. But I do think that eventually there's a violent tipping point to this. Not in a drama queen fashion, just that the avenues for normal people to do anything about their standards of living are being closed off while those at the top continue to fucking rake it in. You reach a pressure point eventually.

20 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Anybody else see this snivelling little wet wipe c**t on Sky News this morning?

Matthew Lesh | New Europe

He looks like that weird cunt from the Apprentice this year.

Postman and CWU member.  Royal Mail have imposed a 2% pay rise. But will give us up to 5.5% with the following changes.

A reduction in payment allowances, so a pay cut 

Rotational Sunday working at normal pay rate.  No Sunday premium.

Moving the starting times up to 3 hours later.  So no more getting home for schools

Annualised hours, so in theory a shorter delivery in summer, but hours more in Xmas.  For the same money.  So a 5 hr day will pay the same as a 10.

Reduction in sick pay.

New starters earning a lower hourly rate, but more hours contracted

No cutting of duty regardless.  Have to clear everything they give you.  Cue 12 hour shifts in winter.  For the same money.

So naw.  A no strings pay rise please.

15 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Who he?

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

He looks like that weird c**t from the Apprentice this year.

Matthew Lesh of the Institute of Economic Affairs. 

Author of such cutting edge research as:

Blockchain offers an innovative solution to the brexit customs puzzle.

Will always support workers in any industrial dispute on principle.

It really is a no-brainer. And even if it wasn't, the so-called "arguments" against strike action consist of impotent little beetroots snivelling about the inconvenience it would cause and in some cases they've even been reduced to burbling some shite about veterans. Nobody with half a brain would nail their colours to that mast of mince. 

12 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I don't really think it does end. Not for ages anyway.

It's easy to fixate on whether this group or that group deserve 10% or 15% or whatever.

But the issue is those at the top of the tree hoarding wealth and making the rest of the population suffer.

In centuries past we'd be nearing the point of beheading them, but instead we'll all just carry on. But I do think that eventually there's a violent tipping point to this. Not in a drama queen fashion, just that the avenues for normal people to do anything about their standards of living are being closed off while those at the top continue to fucking rake it in. You reach a pressure point eventually.

No we wouldn't.  Even the big organised attempt of a general strike in 1926 saw very little violence and folded just over a week in.

38 minutes ago, beesher said:

I absolutely support the workers in all of the professions mentioned in this thread so far. 

Too many big organisations are stuck in the pre-covid mindset that they can treat their workers like shit and they will sit back and take it. people will quite rightly look elsewhere, or as we are seeing now, take strike action. These Tory c***s cannot be allowed to erode workers rights any further.

Those big organisations like, err, the public sector that is ultimately paying for Scotrail employees, NHS staff, teachers etc.? Where is the money going to come from to pay for this? What impact do you think that rolling strike action will have on the economy and therefore the public finances? 

The reality is that people should have thought a lot more carefully about the domestic consequences, before lolloping along with the yellow and blue flag brigade into a full-blown economic war with Russia. The erosion of living standards is a direct and completely unavoidable consequence of that decision. 

Edited by vikingTON

I am self employed (and semi retired) so it doesnt really impact me.

However, I happened to catch Question Time - from Stratford on Avon - last week and it annoyed the f**k out of me.

The way the handpicked Tory Gammon wanksocks in the audience, helped by that torycunt Fiona Bruce, treated Mick Lynch made me hope he continues to rip the absolute arse out of them.

Power to the people etc

46 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It’s a toxic mix.

I recently read Margaret thatcher's autobiography. The big thing for her in the 70s and early 80s was inflation. It was a cycle of inflation running at about 10-15%, unions striking because they wanted their staff to be paid at the same rate, big pay rises which fuelled inflation - a vicious cycle. 

Her solution was somewhat brutal (cutting the money supply at the source, raising interests rates to ~12%, wage restraint in the nationalised industries, and so on which caused the recession of 1980-81). Businesses were shut, and it took inflation a long time to come down. 

I'm not for a second advocating what she did, and in fact the government today couldn't do it. Too much has been sold off or made independent so the tools she had at her disposal no longer exist. 

To put it another way, we're screwed for a long time. 

The only controls the GOVTs have effect the people that will worst hit, and have most contact with lots of the public, rail, NHS,  national & local Govt., so when they hit these groups with lower pay rate increases the Govt must appear consistent and fair as they are hitting a lot of people who when they strike noticeably effect peoples lives.

And the first thing this Govt did was announce a lifting on the cap on bankers bonuses.

With this lot in charge things are just going to eventually end in more division and unhappiness.

Just hate the way this Govt works

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

If I remember rightly, she was also able to import coal from Poland to bypass the UK coal unions and undermined their power that way.

She was stockpiling coal from the summer of 1981 when there was the possibility of a strike. 

Unlike in the 70s though, she stockpiled it at power stations. The Heath government stockpiled coal at the pitheads, where the miners could stop it getting to the power stations. 

And then, of course, the NUM started striking in April just as power consumption was lessening.

2 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I seen a thing earlier today where a guy walked down the street and stabbed another man in the neck, took his bike and immediately rode to Argos where he purchased a radio then went to Asda and bought a book before flagging down the police van which was rushing to the scene of the stabbing to dob himself in. 

The radio and book were for himself in the cell.

Why didn't he get them first?

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

Postman and CWU member.  Royal Mail have imposed a 2% pay rise. But will give us up to 5.5% with the following changes.

^^^Not a real postie if sober at this time.

22 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why didn't he get them first?

A mate had told him the quickest way to getting a cell was to commit a crime then shop yourself. He'd been to Argos and Asda before he realised he was doing it wrong.