UEFA Women's Champion League 2022/23

ScotsFootieFan

https://www.uefa.com/womenschampionsleague/fixtures-results/#/dw/1366

Round 1 Draw

Glasgow City vs A.S. Roma

Ferencvaros vs Rangers

Glasgow City chosen as hosts, playing A.S Roma in the semi-final, with potential final versus Paris FC or Servette

Rangers are off to Greece for their games, if they get past Ferencvaros, they have a potential final versus PAOK or Swansea City

Games to be played 18th August and 21st August.

Tough draw for City, however should be a cracker of a game, looking forward to going. Rangers I would like to think they can get through their games to the next round.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Link here for the lazy bassas: 

On 27/06/2022 at 13:54, ScotsFootieFan said:

Tough draw for City, however should be a cracker of a game, looking forward to going. Rangers I would like to think they can get through their games to the next round.

Tried looking on Y'tube but can't find any clips of Ferencvaros, unfortunately.  Having watched Sunday's  game and last w/e's highlight the Rangers lassies have worked hard preseason and are looking lean and fit.  However, 1. Hill and Davison is an untested partnership and 2. Although we've scored 22 goals we will miss Jane Ross.  We don't have anyone as clever at finding space as her nor at creating something out of nothing.

"A tousy game in Salonika" against a very physical Magyar side.  Goals at the right time killed them off and 3-1 was fair.

Kathy Hill going off injured is a worry for Sunday.  Tess Middag is no CB.

Hard lines, Glasgow City.  That was always a big ask.

9 hours ago, Craig fae the Vale said:

Glasgow City 1-3 AS Roma Femminile

City crash out of this season's Champions League but give a good account of themselves against a very good Roma side.

20220818_192948.jpg

20220818_193453.jpg

I was at the game to, even though City gave an good showing, Roma were a couple of levels above I thought and were comfortable throughout.

20220818_193918.jpg

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

"A tousy game in Salonika" against a very physical Magyar side.  Goals at the right time killed them off and 3-1 was fair.

Kathy Hill going off injured is a worry for Sunday.  Tess Middag is no CB.

Hard lines, Glasgow City.  That was always a big ask.

Fantastic result. Worrying about Hill, she's been solid so far this season, and seems a step up from Westrup so far.

3 hours ago, lau03143 said:

I was at the game to, even though City gave an good showing, Roma were a couple of levels above I thought and were comfortable throughout.

20220818_193918.jpg

Aye Roma were definitely a class above, but City looked decent on the counter. I think that game will set them up well for the season and the games against Rangers and Celtic in particular. Mairead Fulton is an absolutely quality player. Does the unglamourous work in the middle of the park and distributes the ball really well. Erin Greening looks like she'll be an excellent signing as well, big upgrade on Megan Foley at right back.

Absolutely dire pitch and in the first half on Sunday we had plenty of possession but made damned few chances.  The second half was much better with four goals:  Two 'what's the keeper daein', a Lizzie Arnot inswinger and a great header from Hannah Davison.

The 'take aways' are twofold:  1. The team is much fitter, faster and leaner than either of the champions of Hungary or Greece and 2. Kirsty 'Xavi' Maclean - at 17 - was the coolest head on the park.

The laugh of the highlights being at 1:48 when a maw, a sub or one of the support staff shouts, "Keep shooting.   She's shite".  And she wasn't wrong!

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Interesting fact about Lizzie Arnott: 

She carried the Olympic Torch through the streets of Edinburgh in 2012 as part of the torch relay across Britain. 

Didn't know that, TTB, but Arnot's a great girl and can kick a dead ball with either foot.  She also comes across as very modest and understated despite being a very talented player.

On 28/08/2022 at 18:43, Lurkst said:

Just catching up on the past week, I hadn't realised Caroline Weir had scored for Real Madrid to eliminate her former teammates at Man City...

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/aug/21/real-madrids-weir-puts-manchester-city-out-of-champions-league

Cracking goal, too:

2 hours ago, archieduke said:

Rangers get Benfica in the final Champions League qualifying round, first leg at home on 20/21 September. 

Any idea of how good they are?  Sounds like a tough draw but I'm basing that solely on the reputation of the  men's team. 

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Any idea of how good they are?  Sounds like a tough draw but I'm basing that solely on the reputation of the  men's team. 

Don't know enough about their womens team to say how good they are. I do know they are ranked higher than PAOK and Ferencvaros so will likely be a tough test to qualify.

• 3 weeks later...

Rangers 2-3 Benfica

Fair result with some poor defending and poor goalkeeping not helping.  The lassies expected the same time on the ball as they normally get and were caught out.

Nice goal by McCoy, though.

Edited by The_Kincardine