School Libraries

51 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

You should look out for a book called Construction of the Forth Bridge. Its riveting for the most part. 

Love that book. As soon as I stopped reading I went back to the beginning and started again. 

I used to live a few doors down from the local library, stayed there for 21 years and can count on one hand the amount of time I seen it open, I think the opening hours were 10-2 Monday-Wednesday or something ridiculous like that.

13 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

What happened?

Did she bring her cats on the date?

She went holiday and by the time she came back I'd started dating someone else. 

The crazy, fast-paced world of internet dating.

9 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is that not a bit early?

Anyway, news like this is always regrettable.  Savage cuts in funding serve to make things a bit more shit.  This is one more example.

I think the internet came to Aberdeen Uni in late 1993. I was wasting time on it by 1994 anyway 

Last time I went to the library they'd just got in a fantasy novel set in West Lothian. It's called "The Lord of the Bings"

Got punted from higher physics a week into fifth year so spent 4 periods a week in the library with the rest of the no hopers. Spent most of it on fitba message boards, which was very useful to my education. The librarian was a good c**t.

Methil Library, local history section. 

They have the full back catalogue of the East Fife Mail. You can read about the time a 16 year old from Morningside got lifted at an East Fife v Hearts game in November 1977 after retaliating when he got sconed by a bottle off the back of his head. His parents had dropped him off before the game to go shopping (The Wonder Store?). 

He would have had one phone call to pick him up from the Polis station at Sea Road. In the days long before mobile phones the mind begins to boggle. 

Anyway. Final score was East Fife 2 (Quinton Young, Ken Mackie) Hertz 0.

And a good day was had by all. 

Edited by Cosmic Joe

Several positive experiences with school libraries both as a kid and as a teacher.

Had one librarian who’d let me take my S4 foundation maths class there when I had them last period on a Friday so they could fart about and we’d gossip and drink “tea”