South Region Challenge Cup 2022-23

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Shanner said:

In a final that nobody seems all that bothered about, it was Spartans 2 - 1 Drumchapel in the final today. 

Would have been great for the Drum to win this but no shame in losing to a League side so closely. 

Didn’t even know the game was on today ,  it’s strange it’s so low key for being the premier cup competition at our level 

On 26/06/2022 at 12:58, theesel1994 said:

The draw is being made tonight - but has the WoSFL after only one full season had an influence on it already?

I heard that gate money is to be shared after deducting match officials expenses next season. Something that already happens for all the West Cups and SJFA Cup. There are around 160~ish clubs take part with nearly half of them now coming from the WoSFL.

(I miss the bickering between the West and East clubs the SJFA Cup gave - maybe I'll start some new ones with this).

Spartans beat Drumchapel in the final at Broadwood.

Attendance 200

Believe Drumchapel's cut of the gate money after expenses was two blaws at a ragman's trumpet.

1 hour ago, PossilYM said:

Spartans beat Drumchapel in the final at Broadwood.

Attendance 200

Believe Drumchapel's cut of the gate money after expenses was two blaws at a ragman's trumpet.

200? That's absolutely abysmal from both clubs.

The organisers of this competition really need to get their fingers out.

4 minutes ago, funky monkey said:

200? That's absolutely abysmal from both clubs.

The organisers of this competition really need to get their fingers out.

Just spoke to Drumchapel friend who was at the game.

He reckoned there was wasn't anywhere near 200 there 

Last year with Bonnyrigg and Talbot there was under 900. Not sure what people would be expecting with Spartans and Drumchapel.

On the SCC thread in the Cup Forum someone pitched it at 300 odd.

from regular groundhopper prorege had c400 in their report

https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/forums/threads/sunday-28th-may-2023.10370/#post-215787

With PossilYM's 200 to under 200.

I'd say the first two from people that were actually there compared to 2nd hand reports might be the more reliable figures to base on.

The Junior Cup Final will have at least 10 times the crowd at the same stadium on a Friday night. Fans are voting with their feet when it comes to this competition and doesn't have anywhere near the same appeal as the Scottish Junior Cup - which I have said has many flaws but still appeals to casual supporter of our teams at the later rounds and especially the final.

17 minutes ago, Shannon said:

The Junior Cup Final will have at least 10 times the crowd at the same stadium on a Friday night. Fans are voting with their feet when it comes to this competition and doesn't have anywhere near the same appeal as the Scottish Junior Cup - which I have said has many flaws but still appeals to casual supporter of our teams at the later rounds and especially the final.

Spot on. the proof is there for all to see. 

We need an amnesty where all the sides who left in a huff/self-righteous strop/ etc, can admit they completely misjudged the mood and can re-enter it with an assurance that none of the teams who were right all along will slag them for it. 

In seriousness, I'm beginning to think that the SOS means less to a lot of fans than even the WOS Cup. The WOS flings up a lot of interesting ties between traditional rivals which seems to be what puts bums in seats and importantly the final isn't at soulless Falkirk. It's a shame because the SOS should be the flagship KO tournament at this level. 

Edited by Shanner

13 minutes ago, Shannon said:

Gotta take into account the team's involved also. Drumchapel don't have a fanbase to speak of beyond their youth players and families and have Spartans ever been particularly well followed?

Add in the fact that Spartans have their eye on bigger things and it made for a strange final. Spartans went in at half time 2-0 up and were happy to sit on that lead in the second half, while Drumchapel didn't appear particularly bothered about coming back into it. Guys giving up on very reachable through balls and no bookings til injury time said a lot. 

The difference in professionalism also very apparent at half time. Spartans had a coach organising their subs into a wee small sided passing drill, while Drumchapel hit shots into the stand like it was a Sunday morning league. 

25 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Spot on. the proof is there for all to see. 

We need an amnesty where all the sides who left in a huff/self-righteous strop/ etc, can admit they completely misjudged the mood and can re-enter it with an assurance that none of the teams who were right all along will slag them for it. 

In seriousness, I'm beginning to think that the SOS means less to a lot of fans than even the WOS Cup. The WOS flings up a lot of interesting ties between traditional rivals which seems to be what puts bums in seats and importantly the final isn't at soulless Falkirk. It's a shame because the SOS should be the flagship KO tournament at this level. 

Aw cmon man, youve got essentially two boys clubs with no fan base at all funded out of rich mens pockets playing in a final, of course there will be no one there. 

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Aw cmon man, youve got essentially two boys clubs with no fan base at all funded out of rich mens pockets playing in a final, of course there will be no one there. 

it seems to be an anomaly if a SOS final is particularly well attended though. I do hope it starts to gain a bit of interest though but not sure how that could be achieved. 

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:

it seems to be an anomaly if a SOS final is particularly well attended though. I do hope it starts to gain a bit of interest though but not sure how that could be achieved. 

I think its a new cup in a saturated market played at the end of a very long season. If the final was in March/April at a better venue then its probably more appealing. Cant argue that the junior cup is more interesting for the clubs in the west that its more historically connected to, but also think theres just a massive disconnect in terms of the blazers and punters at all levels of Scottish Football just now. Would i go and watch a final connected to the lowland league with the b team shite going on? Probably not if it wasnt my team involved. 

The wealdstone raider said it best though, if youve got no fans…  

10 minutes ago, Shanner said:

It would help not having a team competing in the SPFL 2 Playoffs. Due to the hoops they have to jump through the previous 4 weeks largely leaves their fanbase and casual interest spent. It's not a showpiece final, but an afterthought.

I'm not going to pretend it would be transformative, but 4 weeks focused on hyping and organising for a final would be beneficial.