LEAGUE 2 Predictions

1 hour ago, Vodka Vic said:

Unlikely my fellow Rover although we did fire a wee warning shot across the bow with a deserved win against  Kelty yesterday. Of course we’ve been here before- the premier cup is a pseudo pre-season tournament. League Two will have a bit more of a traditional look this year with no moneybags Kelty/Cove lording it over us. I’m assuming Stenny are the club with the most cash with Stirling close behind. 

It didn't go unnoticed 😉

1. Stenhousemuir

Kept the core of the squad that finished last season strongly, despite just missing out on the play-offs and arguably carried out the most impressive L2 transfer business of the summer, they should be strong contenders for the league. There are a few question marks. Is Swift up to the job? Will Bryon's legs hold out? Can some of the more 'wildcard' signings like Sewell do it consistently at L2 level? But an admirable League Cup group performance suggests enough of these are going in Stenny's direction.

2. Annan Athletic

I'm not overly familiar with most of their squad but they've been consistently there or there abouts in the top 4 recently, have kept squad turnover low and have made a few solid additions. That looks like a recipe for success and their outrageously good showing the League Cup suggests they'll take a bit of beating this year. I could easily have had them top.

3. Stirling Albion

They feel like League Two's most consistent under-performers for a while. Their squad looks decent enough to me, and Darren Young should probably get them going at close enough to their potential to get a top 4 spot. Another side who's League Cup showing was relatively impressive.

4. Dumbarton

Big question marks over Farrell's ability as a manager but looking through their squad, they should have enough quality to at least seriously challenge for top 4, if not the championship.

5. Forfar Athletic

I've probably got Forfar lower than most and quite a few places down on last season's 2nd place finish. Aside from maybe McCallum and Keatings, their squad doesn't look that exciting to me and their fans don't seem to rate Irvine as a manger. That and a dismal LC showing has them just outside the play-offs.

6. Bonnyrigg Rose

Obviously very difficult to predict how they'll get on but I'm fairly confident we're not going to see another Cove or Kelty. Everyone predicting that seems to have forgotten than both clubs invested ludicrously in players from clubs above L2. From what I've heard, they're solid and tough, and that should be enough for a creditable, mid-table finish in their maiden SPFL season.

7. East Fife

A fairly thin looking squad, overly reliant on inexperienced players in key areas. I'll be optimistic and view this as a 'transitional season' at Bayview but without further additions, I can't see us seriously troubling the play-off spots. I think we'll have enough to stay relatively clear of 10th place though.

8. Albion Rovers

I could have been tempted to put them lower but a very creditable set of results in the League Cup has tempted me to move them up.

9. Stranraer

They have that "Berwick-y" look of a team who're sinking in instalments and their squad looks very, very thin. It could be one of those seasons where they're just happy not to finish 10th.

10. Elgin City

There's still the odd couple of names I recognise as pretty decent players from our previous stint in L2 but the fact that there doesn't look like there's been any significant on the squad that was saved by an atrocious Cowden team last season, coupled with a poor League Cup showing has them 1oth for me.

Edited by Gordon EF

1. Stenhousemuir
Kept the core of the squad that finished last season strongly, despite just missing out on the play-offs and arguably carried out the most impressive L2 transfer business of the summer, they should be strong contenders for the league. There are a few question marks. Is Swift up to the job? Will Bryon's legs hold out? Can some of the more 'wildcard' signings like Sewell do it consistently at L2 level? But an admirable League Cup group performance suggests enough of these are going in Stenny's direction.
2. Annan Athletic
I'm not overly familiar with most of their squad but they've been consistently there or there abouts in the top 4 recently, have kept squad turnover low and have made a few solid additions. That looks like a recipe for success and their outrageously good showing the League Cup suggests they'll take a bit of beating this year. I could easily have had them top.
3. Stirling Albion
They feel like League Two's most consistent under-performers for a while. Their squad looks decent enough to me, and Darren Young should probably get them going at close enough to their potential to get a top 4 spot. Another side who's League Cup showing was relatively impressive.
4. Dumbarton
Big question marks over Farrell's ability as a manager but looking through their squad, they should have enough quality to at least seriously challenge for top 4, if not the championship.
5. Forfar Athletic
I've probably got Forfar lower than most and quite a few places down on last season's 2nd place finish. Aside from maybe McCallum and Keatings, their squad doesn't look that exciting to me and their fans don't seem to rate Irvine as a manger. That and a dismal LC showing has them just outside the play-offs.
6. Bonnyrigg Rose
Obviously very difficult to predict how they'll get on but I'm fairly confident we're not going to see another Cove or Kelty. Everyone predicting that seems to have forgotten than both clubs invested ludicrously in players from clubs above L2. From what I've heard, they're solid and tough, and that should be enough for a creditable, mid-table finish in their maiden SPFL season.
7. East Fife
A fairly thin looking squad, overly reliant on inexperienced players in key areas. I'll be optimistic and view this as a 'transitional season' at Bayview but without further additions, I can't see us seriously troubling the play-off spots. I think we'll have enough to stay relatively clear of 10th place though.
8. Albion Rovers
I could have been tempted to put them lower but a very creditable set of results in the League Cup has tempted me to move them up.
9. Stranraer
They have that "Berwick-y" look of a team who're sinking in instalments and their squad looks very, very thin. It could be one of those seasons where they're just happy not to finish 10th.
10. Elgin City
There's still the odd couple of names I recognise as pretty decent players from our previous stint in L2 but the fact that there doesn't look like there's been any significant on the squad that was saved by an atrocious Cowden team last season, coupled with a poor League Cup showing has them 1oth for me.

Gordon EF very good analysis [emoji1376]

The only thing I'm moderately confident about is that  Stranraer, Albion Rovers and Elgin will be battling to fill 8th, 9th and 10th. I don't think Bonnyrigg are going to do a Cove or Kelty and win promotion on their arrival in the senior ranks. They're not throwing money at players the way that the other 2 did and I can see them spending a couple of seasons consolidating in League Two before they're a promotion proposition.  Bryson is obviously a class act, but do Stenny have the quality around him? If he's playing in the same midfield as Forbes and Wedderburn then that's a complete lack of moblity.

1. Stirling Albion.

2. Forfar

3. Dumbarton

4. Annan

5. Stenny

6. Bonnyrigg

7. East Fife

8. Stranraer

9. Albion Rovers

10. Elgin

I wouldn't be surprised if the top 5 teams were separated by as little as 8 points and the bottom 3 by 5 or 6. Its going to be a very tight division this year.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2022 at 20:56, db11 said:

My knickers are not in a twist. I was just highlighting your misinformed statement. The bookies are far better informed than you.  I look forward to finishing the season above your lot, didn’t go too well for you last time we met and that was about 5 leagues apart

Hows this going m8?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2022 at 10:17, EdinburghBlue said:

Silly to make predictions before squads have firmed up and teams get a few competitive games under their belt. But I’ll be silly…

1. Forfar

2. Stenhousemuir 

3-7. Annan, Dumbarton, East Fife, Elgin, Stranraer

8-9. Bonnyrigg/Stirling

10. Albion Rovers

My own team having played everyone, now is a better time to make some predictions. (My previous forecast for first reinforces my point about it being too soon to make predictions before teams have several competitive games under their belt 😐)

I’ll make the obvious change and put Dumbarton at #1, although they weren’t impressive at Stair Park, but with only one draw and one loss so far unless their form drops off they should stay clear.

I will leave Albion Rovers at #10, although I don’t think there’ll be a big gap between 9 and 10, as they aren’t as rank as Cowdenbeath, Brechin and the Shire were when they went down.

I will bracket Forfar with Bonnyrigg and Stirling for 7-9, with Forfar maybe ninth, although unimpressed with any of the three and Bonnyrigg may falter if they don’t refresh their squad in January  

I will leave Stenny at 2, and bracket Annan, East Fife, Elgin and Stranraer at 3-6. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought some time ago that it would be quite interesting to have a composite of all the individual predictions that folk have made on this thread. Coming across the thread again the other day, & with the league starting to take some early season shape, with just over a quarter of games played, thought why not crack on & do it.

So ..... based strictly on all the 1-10 predictions submitted - haven't taken into account those that were incomplete & just predicted top & bottom, or top, bottom & playoffs - & using a simple scoring of 1st = 10 points, 2nd = 9, & so on down to 10th = 1 point, here's how the composite prediction table stacks up:

1: Stenhousemuir 297 points

2: Forfar 295

3: Dumbarton 221

4: Annan 206

5: Stirling 202

6: Bonnyrigg 188

7: Stranraer 137

8: East Fife 115

9: Elgin 108

10: Albion 56

So there you go for what it's worth. Thoughts!