Fourth Division 22/23

3 hours ago, archieb said:

Congratulations to Threave on finishing in 3rd place and clinching promotion to Div3 at the first attempt.

Phase 1 successfully completed.

Not as straightforward as was anticipated down here last summer. But it might stand them in good stead for Div 3 next season rather than the expected easy journey to promotion and the title.

Also wonder how many of playing and management staff will be at club next season. 

Watch this space. 🤔🤔🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Campbeltown Pupils v Thorn Athletic due Saturday 22nd April, would have been the last match of the season for both.

But the WoSFL has already (Monday) told CP that Thorn Athletic can't raise a side for Saturday, so it has been declared "cancelled" (not "PPd").

Hmmm...

Thorn Athletic can't get into the promotion places. Last match of the season is the longest away trip of the season. And suddenly they know 5 days in advance that they can't raise an XI...

Unless everybody is down with covid so is out of circulation, this smells awfully like a simple dose of CBA with the trek.

I hope that my scepticism is misplaced and there is a genuine reason for this. Otherwise it makes you wonder why they asked to come up to Senior football rather than just remaining in the amateurs...

They cannot raise a team that day. Originally the league was meant to be finished weeks ago. Many of the players have something booked that day. The Thorn have been struggling recently. Only 11 players the other week and been struggling for numbers for weeks. Barry has big job to get players in with a better attitude adapting to the senior instead of Amateur 

9 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

Campbeltown Pupils v Thorn Athletic due Saturday 22nd April, would have been the last match of the season for both.

But the WoSFL has already (Monday) told CP that Thorn Athletic can't raise a side for Saturday, so it has been declared "cancelled" (not "PPd").

Hmmm...

Thorn Athletic can't get into the promotion places. Last match of the season is the longest away trip of the season. And suddenly they know 5 days in advance that they can't raise an XI...

Unless everybody is down with covid so is out of circulation, this smells awfully like a simple dose of CBA with the trek.

I hope that my scepticism is misplaced and there is a genuine reason for this. Otherwise it makes you wonder why they asked to come up to Senior football rather than just remaining in the amateurs...

Cancelled meaning the points go to Campbeltown?

31 minutes ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Bring in amateurs you get an amateur attitude 

Bit of a sweeping statement. Yes some new clubs are finding it difficult and may well fall by the wayside.

There are successes;

Finnart Star are mid table 3rd Div.

From the 4th;

Kilsyth Athletic and West Park at 2 years old are both growing.

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Unless the WoS has unusual rules for this it will be a 3-0 forfeit win for CP and some sort of fine for Thorn Athletic.

CP are 3 points behind already-finished (in more than one sense...) Harmony Row, with a g.d. that is 2 worse.

So an awarded 3-0 means CP would avoid finishing bottom, by the margin of just one g.d. !

Not that it matters of course, with no relegation.

3 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

Bring in amateurs you get an amateur attitude 

Harthill Royal lost a game 0-3 by forfeit last season because they couldn't field a team away to Campbeltown Pupils:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_West_of_Scotland_Football_League#Division_Four

They came from the East Region Juniors ironically because they didn't fancy long away trips in the EoS to places like Tweedmouth.

16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Harthill Royal lost a game 0-3 by forfeit last season because they couldn't field a team away to Campbeltown Pupils:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_West_of_Scotland_Football_League#Division_Four

They came from the East Region Juniors ironically because they didn't fancy long away trips in the EoS to places like Tweedmouth.

Errm sorry totally wrong.
I was games before and after they joined the WOSFL and the travelling wasn't their concern as they felt it was the same what either way they went and I got all of this from speaking with the committee at the time and they just felt a change was needed and as they could go to either association they felt it was in their interest to go to the WOSFL. Their concern near the end of their WOSFL season was they felt they were playing against a lot of boys teams, that's the feedback I got and travelling was no issue but I've no detail to confirm but I believe they decided to Join the EOSFL as they would be involved with a lot of teams they were familiar against and fancied that than playin in the fourth division against against what they felt like were boys

6 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Bit of a sweeping statement. Yes some new clubs are finding it difficult and may well fall by the wayside.

There are successes;

Finnart Star are mid table 3rd Div.

From the 4th;

Kilsyth Athletic and West Park at 2 years old are both growing.

Finnart Star are completely flying off the park.

A genuine serious bid in for Crownpoint Sports centre on the Gallowgate.

If they can get that in front of Clyde FC then it's game on regarding building a fan base with Bridgeton and Dennistoun on their doorstep.

Finnart Star wear blue btw.

In case you didn't know.

😀

10 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Errm sorry totally wrong.
I was games before and after they joined the WOSFL and the travelling wasn't their concern as they felt it was the same what either way they went and I got all of this from speaking with the committee at the time and they just felt a change was needed and as they could go to either association they felt it was in their interest to go to the WOSFL. Their concern near the end of their WOSFL season was they felt they were playing against a lot of boys teams, that's the feedback I got and travelling was no issue but I've no detail to confirm but I believe they decided to Join the EOSFL as they would be involved with a lot of teams they were familiar against and fancied that than playin in the fourth division against against what they felt like were boys

Sorry that sounds utter bull from Harthill. Didn't like playing a bunch of boys clubs; aye right.

They finished rank bottom of that Boys Club League.

They ran back East with their tails between their legs.

Edited by HorseyGhirl

Just now, HorseyGhirl said:

Sorry that sounds utter bull from Harthill. Didn't like playing a bunch of boys clubs; aye right.

They finished rank bottom of that Boys Club League.

That ran back East with their tails between their legs.

Sorry I was there quite a few times as i deal with the manager a few times and I chatted to the committee and their motives for going to the WOSFL were sound and convincing and most were excited for joining the WOSFL but not all wanted to go to the WOSFL, some wanted to go to the |EOSFL straight away.  I think the fourth division in the WOSFL swayed them to go back to the East league

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Sorry I was there quite a few times as i deal with the manager a few times and I chatted to the committee and their motives for going to the WOSFL were sound and convincing and most were excited for joining the WOSFL but not all wanted to go to the WOSFL, some wanted to go to the |EOSFL straight away.  I think the fourth division in the WOSFL swayed them to go back to the East league

No reason to doubt their motives. All I'm calling out is this calling the teams in Div 4 boys clubs.

Have had opportunity to see both of these league's since their inception.

Yes a number of Div 4 have come from boys clubs but it's very disrespectful and churlish of any club to come out with statements like that.

And certainly the quality shown this season from the Div 4 teams is not the stuff of boys clubs.

1 minute ago, HorseyGhirl said:

No reason to doubt their motives. All I'm calling out is this calling the teams in Div 4 boys clubs.

Have had opportunity to see both of these league's since their inception.

Yes a number of Div 4 have come from boys clubs but it's very disrespectful and churlish of any club to come out with statements like that.

And certainly the quality shown this season from the Div 4 teams is not the stuff of boys clubs.

There's no statement from them saying as much and yeah I will say it, the standard of division 4 the previous year was very low with a lot of young teams playing in that division and I can see Harthill making their decision after the season in Division 4 and they left as they didn't fancy division 4 in the WOSFL again.  Harthill at the time were not in a good place as they sacked their manager just over half way in the season and thus might have decided then on the venture back east

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

There's no statement from them saying as much and yeah I will say it, the standard of division 4 the previous year was very low with a lot of young teams playing in that division and I can see Harthill making their decision after the season in Division 4 and they left as they didn't fancy division 4 in the WOSFL again.  Harthill at the time were not in a good place as they sacked their manager just over half way in the season and thus might have decided then on the venture back east

Harthill must do what's best for Harthill but don't be disrespectful to other clubs whilst doing it. Especially after finishing rock bottom of that poor standard league. And Finnart Star are hardly struggling in Div 3 whereas Harthill are once again rock bottom.

A number of these boys clubs were on their first season of existence so instead of an existing club deriding them show them some support and respect. 

It shows Harthill in a poor light.

12 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Harthill must do what's best for Harthill but don't be disrespectful to other clubs whilst doing it. Especially after finishing rock bottom of that poor standard league. And Finnart Star are hardly struggling in Div 3 whereas Harthill are once again rock bottom.

A number of these boys clubs were on their first season of existence so instead of an existing club deriding them show them some support and respect. 

It shows Harthill in a poor light.

Wit you on about being disrespectful. who has been. The fact of the matter Harthill decided against a 2nd season in the WOSFL, there was a reason or a few reasons and personally I was at many games and the standard was poor but then again that was these teams first season in the Semi pro level so you would expect the standard to rise the following years 

18 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Wit you on about being disrespectful. who has been. The fact of the matter Harthill decided against a 2nd season in the WOSFL, there was a reason or a few reasons and personally I was at many games and the standard was poor but then again that was these teams first season in the Semi pro level so you would expect the standard to rise the following years 

You mentioned the term 'boys clubs' as a reason Harthill left an adult league. Not very respectful.