Fourth Division 22/23

23 minutes ago, LeedsPhil said:

Anybody know what's happening with St Peter's v Thorn Athletic due this Saturday, 19th Nov? - day / time / venue change?

Because Renfrew are Home on New Western Park, in the South Challenge Cup, v Cumnock, 1:30 ko.

Thanks.

I believe it's being played at New Tinto Park.

On 14/11/2022 at 16:09, glensmad said:

I believe it's being played at New Tinto Park.

WoSFL fixtures page and SFA Refs' Appointments both say 1:30pm.

Graphics on both clubs' social media says 2pm.

Anybody know which is correct? (makes a difference to me - 1:30 would work for me re a later commitment, 2pm would be too late for me to honour that)

3 hours ago, LeedsPhil said:

WoSFL fixtures page and SFA Refs' Appointments both say 1:30pm.

Graphics on both clubs' social media says 2pm.

Anybody know which is correct? (makes a difference to me - 1:30 would work for me re a later commitment, 2pm would be too late for me to honour that)

1.30pm according to the Scottish FA Live system.

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as that's it till the New Year, I want to take an unqualified look at the season to date.

I will be upfront and say straight off I haven't seen all 12 teams and some only the once.

Christmas Report 2022.

A general view of what I have seen is that the overall standard and quality has been a pleasant surprise. Teams have tried to play a passing game which is a credit to the players and coaching staff.

Obviously Kilsyth Athletic stand out with a 100% record to date, whilst not always playing well or being the better side, the mental toughness that is on show in games is a testimony to the attitude of all at the club.

West Park have probably been the best and most consistent performers, aside from the Kilsyth game, which in truth is hard to judge as Kilsyth were down to 10 before they left the dressing room and being 2 up at half time in that circumstance can have a negative effect on players.

Threave have added a bit of glamour to the division with their long history at senior level. What they appear to lack is a competitiveness when up against teams at same level. Their quality shines through when against supposed lesser opposition.

St.Peters are an excellent footballing team coming up short only against close rivals. The display against Threave shows the ability in the ranks. They could maybe benefit from another season in the division to develop further. 

I'll lump Thorn and Easterhouse together as their stories are very similar. Late to sign up to the league and taken a bit of time to find themselves. But both now showing good form and attitude, also keeping to their footballing beliefs.

BSC, Glenvale, Harmony Row and Campbeltown are in their second season and have found it difficult at times during the season. But the odd game aside have competed well and in some games have just came up a bit short of what's required to get points on the board. The future is positive going forward.

The other 2 newcomers Rossvale and Eglinton, have been a bit up and down which is to be expected as they search for their own identity to take them forward and be able to challenge at the top end of the division.

In a short summary, Division 4 has cemented it's place in the West of Scotland setup. The 6 teams coming down from Division 3 should prepare themselves for a tough, competitive season in 23/24. The 9 teams left in he division are ambitious and look to have a long term plan in place to go as far as they want to dream.

The cup results from virtually all 12 has shown a quality and toughness, the games I have seen and read/heard about, the odd one aside, have been closely contested affairs with good football on show.

Looking forward to the second half of the season and an exciting push for the 3 promotion places and a title decider.

Please feel free to add your own comments or even disagree with what I have said. Hopefully some feedback from fellow Division 4 devotees or even anyone involved at the club's. 

All publicity is good now that PG&DAK are taking a hopefully short lived sabbatical.

Merry Christmas and a Guid New Year to all at the 12 clubs.

50 minutes ago, Yalay said:

Any word on whether the division will be playing more than 22 matches? Are they really going to wrap up the campaign in mid-March?

Not involved with any of the club's, but as far as I am aware playing each other twice, so 22 games.

Unless someone in the know has definite info!

On 20/12/2022 at 20:34, HorseyGhirl said:

Not involved with any of the club's, but as far as I am aware playing each other twice, so 22 games.

Unless someone in the know has definite info!

Perhaps @glensmad or @Kennie can tell us more? Seems strange to stop so early when there's 12 Saturdays left in the season after 18th March.

18 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Perhaps @glensmad or @Kennie can tell us more? Seems strange to stop so early when there's 12 Saturdays left in the season after 18th March.

There's no secret about this one either, the clubs were informed of the discussions about this in the minutes of the November WoSFL Management Committee meeting. Further discussions will take place about whether a separate cup competition would be possible once it becomes clear what backlog of fixtures there is after the Christmas and New Year break and weather postponements. It also needs to be established if the Scottish FA would permit an extra competition to take place as all competitions usually need to be registered with and approved by them with all rules rubber-stamped prior to the season starting. However it is in discussion.

• 3 weeks later...