Fourth Division 22/23

The Thorn are playing catch up I  many aspects. 

Due to the late approval they are struggling in pitch and more importantly playing staff. A lot of their amateur squad didn't sign on and they are scrambling about at this moment. I expect they will improve later on but it will be a tough beginning to start with

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

The Thorn are playing catch up I  many aspects. 

Due to the late approval they are struggling in pitch and more importantly playing staff. A lot of their amateur squad didn't sign on and they are scrambling about at this moment. I expect they will improve later on but it will be a tough beginning to start with

From what I heard they signed a few players, 6 or so from Dalbeattie

26 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Why did the amateur team not sign on? I thought they had a relatively settled team over the years and would have thought they would have been keen to progress as a group for this season

A few went to the Port where the assistant manager went to

Kilbirnie signed their centre forward

Their excellent centre half decided to stay Amateur and now plays for the national side

On 28/07/2022 at 01:16, LeedsPhil said:

Thorn Athletic kindly answered my 2 questions :

1) How long until your own pitch is ready after the works there?
"It will depend on the weather/grass growth."

2) Will Home games continue to be at Keanie Park until then?
"No confirmed venues for other games but hoping to stay locally."

Would you say those are answers? I wouldn't.

Train problems see me arrive at Keanie Park just before half time,0-0 thankfully. Sending off early in 2nd half for Thorn (must have been dissent, the foul didn't warrant anything) A poor goal to concede at the back, but they tried to get back into the game - corners, and a few breakaways where the final ball let them down. Not the greatest quality but a decent crowd,200 maybe ? Thorn 0-1 ft.20220729_204203.thumb.jpg.7e9f982141792fc8ebdaa38f941efa3d.jpg

On 29/07/2022 at 00:58, mcruic said:

Just a brief mention about the 4 new clubs joining from the amateur ranks:

1: Eglinton (Kilwinning Rangers Amateurs) - finished 2nd in Ayrshire Amateurs Div. 2 A (Tier 3) last season.
2: West Park United - Won Central Scottish Championship (Tier 2) last season.
3: Thorn Athletic - Finished 3rd in Caledonian Premier (Tier 1) last season.
4: Easterhouse Academy (Easthall Star) - Finished 4th in Scottish AFL Premier (Tier 1) last season

Eglinton will retain an amateur team in the Ayrshire League.
Easterhouse Academy will also have an amateur team in the Saturday Morning League (they've taken over another amateur outfit, Red Star, who played in the now-defunct Glasgow & District Saturday Morning League last season), another amateur team in the Airdrie & Coatbridge Sunday League, and also an U20 team in the Lowland Development League.
Threave Rovers will have a development team playing in the Dumfries Sunday Amateur League.
Glenvale have taken on the amateur club Carlton YMCA in the Scottish AFL, and will play as Glenvale Carlton next season in that league, and they will also have an U20 team in the Lowland Development League.
Saint Peter's will have an U20 team in the Lowland Development League, and an amateur team in the Saturday Morning League.
BSC Glasgow will have an U20 team in the Lowland Development League.
Kilsyth Athletic will have an amateur team in the Football Central Sunday League (club formerly known as Kilsyth Rovers have become Kilsyth Athletic Sundays).
Harmony Row Youth Club has an amateur team playing in the independent Glasgow Community & Co-operative League (outside SAFA jurisdiction).

Threave Development AFC existed last season and was full of adults so is this something different?

I wonder how many current South of Scotland clubs would be interested in the WoS Division 4 if there was a WoS Division 4 North and WoS Division 4 South? Of course you'd really need them all to be to make it viable. Forgetting the small issue of the SoS play-off place for the time being! [emoji51]

They've only listed 22 games. Which are listed until February if I remember right. At the time of the fixtures plenty of people asked the question if that's it. Nobody in the know gave a reply.
Yeah, caught up with this thread this morning you're right.