Second Division 22/23

11/03/23   WOSFL Division 2 League Fixture
Glasgow Perhshire   2  Maryhill   1

I was in the area so I thought, well, why not pop over to the Glasgow Perthshire Vs Maryhill game.  I arrived at Half time and found there was a nice wee healthy crowd for this local derby.  I don't know what happened in the first half but the second half was interesting to say the least. Maryhill had attacking chances in the first 20 minutes down their left side but didn't come up to much, where as, Perthshire were a threat, mainly down their left and in their middle, occasionally their right. It didn't help the way Marhill tried to play out from the back, the defense are competent but too complacent and lackluster, thinking they will get by a player easily but then keep having the ball nicked putting themselfs under immediate pressure with the Perthshire forward the main thorn in their side, even when the Maryhill defense had time to clear the ball, there was no thought process and when cleared upfield, it would be sometimes near a player, sometimes not but just pot luck . The Perthshire defense was fairly sturdy through the middle, so most of the time they did well

The Perthshire forward in question, tall, very quick feet and fast, gangly like ted McMinn but he was the star of the show, even when the ball came to him under pressure, the ball stuck and stay there whereas when ball played up to Maryhill forwards the ball was back down Maryhill defense's throats. The first 30 mins after half time, Perthshire should have been up by a few and it was their sub that came on with 20 mins to go, veteran lad who should have had a brace, missing simple passes into the goal of the game after Maryhill were opened up. Then it was mental and all came about from the penalty to Perthshire, which I thought, if they scored then that would be the finish, how wrong I was. The penalty came about when Perthsire were under attack and the ball came between a Maryhill and shire players but the Maryhill player was bought and stupidly blocked the shire player who excellently fell and the referee in good position didn't hesitate, which all the Maryhill went mental but it was a penalty, no doubt. The sub who came, on, the experience player, took the penalty and dispatch neatly.   The game at this point was quite meaty, lot of challenges and angry players walking about the park which the referee seemed to be booking Maryhill defenders and Shire forwards, so this gives you an idea of the action.  I'm sure it was in and aorund this time that the Hill centrehalf was sent off, think a straight red, must of been for mouthing to referee as the play had stopped but not one player complained, so he must of merited the sending off.  Then not long after the Perhshire goal there was a Maryhill corner and the Hill keeper came up as well, the ball was crossed in and a bit of a melee and a hill player weakly shot at goal and the ball bounced and though the Shire keeper was going to get a touch, (he was competent throughout) but the ball hit a shire player's knee and wrestled in the bottom Shire's right hand post.

Everyone went mental at the goal, fans , players and coaches all hugging lolol.  I kid you not, right at the kick off Shire attacked, and hill should have cleared down the hill right side but they didn't and lost tackles and ball was slotted in and everyone went mental.

Maryhill only have themselves to blame for this loss of a point and to be fair, being objective, Perthshire deserved the win but Maryhill really gave them the win

a.PNG

b.PNG

c.PNG

2.jpeg

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

Kilsyth Rangers 2 - Craigmark Burntonians 2

No idea what a Burntonian is.

Anyway their manager is clearly banned from the dugout and spent the game wandering up and down the terracing swearing at the team. Top top entertainment, especially when they were guff for most of the first half. Meanwhile in the home dugout they've sacked their manager and signed at least 13 players since I last saw them back in October.

Rangers started better and could have been four up but somehow managed to miss a catalogue of chances and paid the price when a Mark player rocketed one in from 25 yards after about 20 minutes. This then started a period of Mark pressure and they brought two good saves from the keeper and missed a pelanty (well the keeper saved it) but this was their highpoint for most of the game. Rangers got back in the game and levelled when a ball into the box was knocked home from around the pelanty spot. Rangers then went ahead when a corner went to the back post and the centre half got up to head it in.

Half time and you could hear the paint being stripped from the away dressing room - potty mouthness clearly running through the management team.

Second half was a bit dull - no real chances until the last 2 minutes when a ball over the home defence saw the striker look about 10 yards offside and he easily rounded the keeper for the Edward Woodward. To me he was miles off but a Rangers fan next to me thought he was on as he'd run through the static defence at the point the ball was played. And then for the remaining couple of minutes of injury time it was all Mark as they had one cleared off the line, saw the keeper sit on the ball to stop it going in and had two shots deflected for corners.

If Craigmark had started how they finished then they may have got all 3 points but Kilsyth will be disappointed they didn't take advantage of being the better team for much of the game. Mark remain just outside the promotion spots and Rangers look to have enough to survive their poor start to the season.

On 12/02/2023 at 13:07, Bestsinceslicebread said:

11/03/23   WOSFL Division 2 League Fixture
Glasgow Perhshire   2  Maryhill   1

I was in the area so I thought, well, why not pop over to the Glasgow Perthshire Vs Maryhill game.  I arrived at Half time and found there was a nice wee healthy crowd for this local derby.  I don't know what happened in the first half but the second half was interesting to say the least. Maryhill had attacking chances in the first 20 minutes down their left side but didn't come up to much, where as, Perthshire were a threat, mainly down their left and in their middle, occasionally their right. It didn't help the way Marhill tried to play out from the back, the defense are competent but too complacent and lackluster, thinking they will get by a player easily but then keep having the ball nicked putting themselfs under immediate pressure with the Perthshire forward the main thorn in their side, even when the Maryhill defense had time to clear the ball, there was no thought process and when cleared upfield, it would be sometimes near a player, sometimes not but just pot luck . The Perthshire defense was fairly sturdy through the middle, so most of the time they did well

The Perthshire forward in question, tall, very quick feet and fast, gangly like ted McMinn but he was the star of the show, even when the ball came to him under pressure, the ball stuck and stay there whereas when ball played up to Maryhill forwards the ball was back down Maryhill defense's throats. The first 30 mins after half time, Perthshire should have been up by a few and it was their sub that came on with 20 mins to go, veteran lad who should have had a brace, missing simple passes into the goal of the game after Maryhill were opened up. Then it was mental and all came about from the penalty to Perthshire, which I thought, if they scored then that would be the finish, how wrong I was. The penalty came about when Perthsire were under attack and the ball came between a Maryhill and shire players but the Maryhill player was bought and stupidly blocked the shire player who excellently fell and the referee in good position didn't hesitate, which all the Maryhill went mental but it was a penalty, no doubt. The sub who came, on, the experience player, took the penalty and dispatch neatly.   The game at this point was quite meaty, lot of challenges and angry players walking about the park which the referee seemed to be booking Maryhill defenders and Shire forwards, so this gives you an idea of the action.  I'm sure it was in and aorund this time that the Hill centrehalf was sent off, think a straight red, must of been for mouthing to referee as the play had stopped but not one player complained, so he must of merited the sending off.  Then not long after the Perhshire goal there was a Maryhill corner and the Hill keeper came up as well, the ball was crossed in and a bit of a melee and a hill player weakly shot at goal and the ball bounced and though the Shire keeper was going to get a touch, (he was competent throughout) but the ball hit a shire player's knee and wrestled in the bottom Shire's right hand post.

Everyone went mental at the goal, fans , players and coaches all hugging lolol.  I kid you not, right at the kick off Shire attacked, and hill should have cleared down the hill right side but they didn't and lost tackles and ball was slotted in and everyone went mental.

Maryhill only have themselves to blame for this loss of a point and to be fair, being objective, Perthshire deserved the win but Maryhill really gave them the win

a.PNG

b.PNG

c.PNG

2.jpeg

Ted McMinn?

lol

10 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

image.png.3ea862b55b0d1e7bc75e6fba67e412a9.png

image.png.73e974e379d7ab930e4648b32892aa2e.png

Great to see the Ants challenging at top end of table, been a long time since this was so. Have historical family connections, and I mean historical 1938 West Cup win connection.

Watched shire v ashfield yesterday and was a great game to watch with Shire  probably kicking themselves after going 2-0 up and not winning 

Although the Shire are running out of games they will have a say in  league positions as there remainimg games apart from Glasgow Utd are  all against the top 7 

On 19/03/2023 at 08:03, HorseyGhirl said:

Great to see the Ants challenging at top end of table, been a long time since this was so. Have historical family connections, and I mean historical 1938 West Cup win connection.

I've been going to watch them this season, they're a good side, very hard to beat at home. The only team to win convincingly at McKenna Park recently has been Ashfield

16 minutes ago, coineanach said:

I've been going to watch them this season, they're a good side, very hard to beat at home. The only team to win convincingly at McKenna Park recently has been Ashfield

Would love to go see the Ants again. Used to go to the old ash pitch at top of Helen St. with my old mum. She always talked about the West Cup win in 1938 and going with her dad to the games. If I'm correct my granda was a coach of some sort when he settled in Sunny G after WW1. All of us in the family got our love of football and boxing from mum. 

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Would love to go see the Ants again. Used to go to the old ash pitch at top of Helen St. with my old mum. She always talked about the West Cup win in 1938 and going with her dad to the games. If I'm correct my granda was a coach of some sort when he settled in Sunny G after WW1. All of us in the family got our love of football and boxing from mum. 

Who's mum?

16 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Who's mum?

Nobody special just another wee Govanite.

Oh aye she was hard as nails and controlled the whole extended family by sheer terror. Just your typical wee Govan wifie. 🤐🤐🤐🤐