First Divison 22/23

11 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Teams can respond in different ways to relegation from the Premier Division. The three teams who are being relegated out of the First Division this year (Rossvale, Cumbernauld United and Bonnyton Thistle, assuming there is not a world record breaking miracle on Saturday) were all also relegated from last season's Premier Division. Rutherglen Glencairn have been hovering above the drop zone for much of the season but had enough in the tank to avoid the bottom three this time. To balance that out, though, Benburb have bounced straight back up with promotion, and Kilbirnie Ladeside and Blantyre Victoria have had decent seasons when the final table is assessed.

As I used to say about the old SJFA West Region second tier (and it's no different in the WoSFL) - it's a very difficult league to climb out of at the top, but a very easy league to fall out of at the bottom end if you're not careful.

Will be interesting to see how the 3 do in Div 2.

Rossvale, sorry Locos are in an unenviable position with all their much publicised shenanigans. They do seem to be a resilient crew though.

Scumbernauld could be in danger of travelling that well trodden path of dropping down the divisions until they either bottom out or get themselves sorted.

My Bonnyton are interesting. With no history in the West they rallied in the second half of the season and almost survived. Will Div 2 be their chance to regroup and push forward, time will tell.

My old home of Scumbie seem the most likely to continue falling.

26 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Teams can respond in different ways to relegation from the Premier Division. The three teams who are being relegated out of the First Division this year (Rossvale, Cumbernauld United and Bonnyton Thistle, assuming there is not a world record breaking miracle on Saturday) were all also relegated from last season's Premier Division. Rutherglen Glencairn have been hovering above the drop zone for much of the season but had enough in the tank to avoid the bottom three this time. To balance that out, though, Benburb have bounced straight back up with promotion, and Kilbirnie Ladeside and Blantyre Victoria have had decent seasons when the final table is assessed.

As I used to say about the old SJFA West Region second tier (and it's no different in the WoSFL) - it's a very difficult league to climb out of at the top, but a very easy league to fall out of at the bottom end if you're not careful.

Hadn't dawned on me that was the case. That's a right minter for those clubs. They'll really need to rally to get out of that kind of spiral.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Frankly, a bunch of fat cats eating bacon rolls, swapping business leads and using a football club to advertise their companies is not the kind of ambience that I associate with grassroots football. There's a hollow feel to it is what I'm saying. Can't argue with your success so far but it doesn't lift my kilt tbh.

I was asked how new clubs are funding what they are doing without a crowd so that is my honest answer. Of course we would love 500 punters turning up every week but that takes time. We have a brilliant academy who support us and we have family and friends who make up our support but as for the business club and sponsors, these are the guys who allow us to develop the ground facilities and pay good players. 

9 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

He probably means (and I can't speak for him) that you've made it sound like you're funded by a mixture of rotarians, masons, money-launderers, mafia, and other gangsters rather than folk who support their local fitba team.

Please don't leave that head of a horse there...send it down to D&G. They'll know what to do with it...

Ah I get your point but here is mine... do your Man City, liverpools and even old firms have people putting money in who are all supporters lol nope. Some of our business club members make good money from referrals from other members and companies like Clydesdale Bank, Indigo Comms, mitie, 525 Accountants, hamilton race course, Laurie Ross insurance and KPMG. Lots of business clubs have owners of the actual business club who make fortunes from members but all of ours go to the club.

hopefully once we build the locals will come.

God why are the Cairn  being made to justify their existence.  Didn't realise there was a hars and fast rulebook that clubs had to adhere to 're funding.

Honestly do we really think the Lok, Talbot and the rest exist and flourish solely on 500 plus punters coming in each weekend.

There is so much more going on behind the scenes that your average fan is oblivious to.

At youth level it can be a full-time job keeping it running. Believe me been there done that. I know there are some at clubs where keeping it alive becomes all consuming in their life.

#let new clubs flourish

34 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

I was asked how new clubs are funding what they are doing without a crowd so that is my honest answer. Of course we would love 500 punters turning up every week but that takes time. We have a brilliant academy who support us and we have family and friends who make up our support but as for the business club and sponsors, these are the guys who allow us to develop the ground facilities and pay good players. 

I know that pal. You then asked me why I commented as I did. That, too was my honest answer,

25 minutes ago, Cairn Cheerleader said:

Ah I get your point but here is mine... do your Man City, liverpools and even old firms have people putting money in who are all supporters lol nope. Some of our business club members make good money from referrals from other members and companies like Clydesdale Bank, Indigo Comms, mitie, 525 Accountants, hamilton race course, Laurie Ross insurance and KPMG. Lots of business clubs have owners of the actual business club who make fortunes from members but all of ours go to the club.

hopefully once we build the locals will come.

I stopped reading when you compared yourself to Man City, Liverpool and the OF. That says all that needs to be said.

15 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

God why are the Cairn  being made to justify their existence.  Didn't realise there was a hars and fast rulebook that clubs had to adhere to 're funding.

Honestly do we really think the Lok, Talbot and the rest exist and flourish solely on 500 plus punters coming in each weekend.

There is so much more going on behind the scenes that your average fan is oblivious to.

At youth level it can be a full-time job keeping it running. Believe me been there done that. I know there are some at clubs where keeping it alive becomes all consuming in their life.

#let new clubs flourish

It's a football forum where football matters are being discussed. Some are about on the park and some are off. Simple.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It's a football forum where football matters are being discussed. Some are about on the park and some are off. Simple.

I know my friend. Would be boring if we agreed all the time. Diversity is good in life. Same as with our football clubs. See what I did there.

As long as we dont get personal and abusive like some. Which we are mature and sensible enough to refrain from.🤓🤓

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

Can't see anyone at Kilbirnie  agreeing with your assessment of a decent season, disaster more like according to the guys I speak to

31 minutes ago, Johnny Sox said:

Can't see anyone at Kilbirnie  agreeing with your assessment of a decent season, disaster more like according to the guys I speak to

I was really comparing the 7 teams who were relegated from last season's Premier Dvision, so in that respect they've done ok.

6 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Will be interesting to see how the 3 do in Div 2.

Rossvale, sorry Locos are in an unenviable position with all their much publicised shenanigans. They do seem to be a resilient crew though.

Scumbernauld could be in danger of travelling that well trodden path of dropping down the divisions until they either bottom out or get themselves sorted.

My Bonnyton are interesting. With no history in the West they rallied in the second half of the season and almost survived. Will Div 2 be their chance to regroup and push forward, time will tell.

My old home of Scumbie seem the most likely to continue falling.

I wouldn't be surprised if  Bonnyton get relegated again.

Edited by andy25

8 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

I stopped reading when you compared yourself to Man City, Liverpool and the OF. That says all that needs to be said.

You should have kept reading as I never compared Gartcairn to Man City or anyone else, I compared a business man not supporting the club they are sponsoring.

3 hours ago, andy25 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if  Bonnyton get relegated again.

You really are a Debbie Downer Andy. 🤔

They did improve over the season so you never know.

19 minutes ago, HorseyGhirl said:

You really are a Debbie Downer Andy. 🤔

They did improve over the season so you never know.

They're still not very good.

Glorified amateur team playing in a horrible park.

10 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

#let new clubs flourish

I don't think anyone is asking them to justify their existence.  In fact I think clubs like Gartcairn and Bonnyton should have a senior side to provide a full pathway from their youngest boys clubs to senior football. After all why should they coach players from the age of 4 and then lose them to other clubs when they get beyond U19 stage.

You mention Talbot and Pollok not being reliant on attendance money, which is true, but the fundraising these clubs carry out is dependent on their numerous fans buying merchandise, and so on.  Most of the sponsor opportunities/activities mentioned above are already carried out by 'older' clubs so it's not as if Gartcairn are breaking new ground on this front.

Fans of these clubs are more than welcome to defend/explain the funding but I also reserve the right to be sceptical about whether we are getting told the full story.

But as ever, as long as the funds aren't illegitimate then it's a fair game.

2 hours ago, andy25 said:

They're still not very good.

Glorified amateur team playing in a horrible park.

I know I shouldn't but what does glorified amateur team mean, it does get thrown around a bit.

And what makes Synergy so horrible?