First Divison 22/23

3 hours ago, Kenny*******Powers said:

3 wins in last 4 for Whitletts, maybe a late run to stay up

I don't think Whitletts will go down, I've always felt they were in a false position due to their lower number of games played and their points deduction.

6 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Drumchapel Utd 6 Rossvale 1

Drumchapel Utd keeping on track in the promotion fight.

I managed to miss the first six goals. Slinking it free at half time has it's drawbacks. The second half was little more than a training match.

Rossvale have fairly let things go, but Drumchapel are clearly a decent side who like to play a bit of football. My only reservation about them being promoted is that the Donald Dewar will be a nightmare to get a decent view at when well supported sides come calling. They're getting a couple of hundred fans of their own so maybe they'll have plans to move on to something a bit better in the next few seasons.

1 hour ago, Shanner said:

I managed to miss the first six goals. Slinking it free at half time has it's drawbacks. The second half was little more than a training match.

Rossvale have fairly let things go, but Drumchapel are clearly a decent side who like to play a bit of football. My only reservation about them being promoted is that the Donald Dewar will be a nightmare to get a decent view at when well supported sides come calling. They're getting a couple of hundred fans of their own so maybe they'll have plans to move on to something a bit better in the next few seasons.

The are all in on the Donald Dewar.

On 08/03/2023 at 09:47, Shanner said:

Terrible place to watch a game. Only upside was the parking

Suggest watching the goals from the weekend on Johnstone Burghs twitter feed if you want to see the perils of having to play an outfield player in goals (!).  Apparently we've had a sub keeper on the bench every other week this season, but he was unavailable at the weekend. Typically this is the weekend the first choice goalie goes off injured, and it certainly changed the match and probably the season. Bad luck all round. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Suggest watching the goals from the weekend on Johnstone Burghs twitter feed if you want to see the perils of having to play an outfield player in goals (!).  Apparently we've had a sub keeper on the bench every other week this season, but he was unavailable at the weekend. Typically this is the weekend the first choice goalie goes off injured, and it certainly changed the match and probably the season. Bad luck all round. 

Do Johnstone Burgh not have a couple of under 20s keepers too or were they the ones unavailable?

21 hours ago, Shannon said:

Do Johnstone Burgh not have a couple of under 20s keepers too or were they the ones unavailable?

Yes they do but I think they would have been asked.

The problem is as shown the back up keeper hasn't been needed.

They probably declined as they didn't want to give up an afternoon on the sideline 

Just bad luck

1 hour ago, Uncle Scan said:

Yes they do but I think they would have been asked.

The problem is as shown the back up keeper hasn't been needed.

They probably declined as they didn't want to give up an afternoon on the sideline 

Just bad luck

Talbot's well documented keeper problems at the moment show how difficult it must be to have a second string keeper sitting on the bench for what could be a whole season whilst keeping him happy. At this level at least. Hope Burgh get it sorted as they seem to be having a good season.

Treated the missus to her first ever pyramid game... and my first ever West of Scotland league match when we took in Shotts Bon Accord v Cumbernauld United.

Really nice, old school set up at Shotts. Proper large standing enclosure on one side and a large open terrace on the other. Well stocked wee snack bar with decent grub too.

Cumbernauld dominated, raced into a 3-0 lead. Shotts got one back and suddenly started to play as Cumbernauld looked to hang on. Shotts threw a lot at it, but dreadful finishing and solid goalkeeping meant no change to score.

Really entertaining wee match with a crowd of about 75ish by my very inadequate headcount!

Edited by Jordi1977

3 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Surely Shotts can't get relegated! They were 3rd favourites at the start of the season but its been a disaster so far, the whole winter has been a succession of call-offs and defeats.

Saw them a  few weeks back in a deserved draw at Kilbirnie, can't believe they have not picked up anything since.

29 minutes ago, Johnny Sox said:

Saw them a  few weeks back in a deserved draw at Kilbirnie, can't believe they have not picked up anything since.

Its strange, the fiasco of the Dundonald game took the wind out them and they've never recovered. Dundonald are good but they should never be doing that to Shotts in a big cup game

Interesting to see Bonnyton in mid-table albeit having played the most games. Normally you need around 30 points to stay up, so they have five games to get a couple of wins with four of those against teams below them.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Interesting to see Bonnyton in mid-table albeit having played the most games. Normally you need around 30 points to stay up, so they have five games to get a couple of wins with four of those against teams below them.

It'll take a lot more than 30 points to stay up. In the old 14-team leagues you needed 34 or 35 points to stay up, so with four more games now I reckon the safety mark will be 40+ points.