English Football League 2022/23

David Clowes to complete his Derby deal on Wednesday - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61944731.

"Local property developer David Clowes has had his bid to buy Derby County accepted and hopes to complete the purchase on Wednesday. Clowes announced his intention to try to take the Rams out of administration on Friday after buying Pride Park from Derby's former owner Mel Morris. Derby's administrators Quantuma said Clowes, 53, had now been granted preferred bidder status."

Did Wayne Rooney jump too quickly?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61992838

Championship club West Brom gave a loan of £4.95m to a company owned by chairman and owner Guochuan Lai to help it through the coronavirus pandemic.

The details of the loan are contained in West Brom's accounts to June 2021, released on Thursday.

Lai says he will return the money, with £50,000 interest, by 31 December 2022 after the initial repayment date was moved from 15 September.

"I will repay the loan in full," he told the club website.

The news will come as a shock to West Brom fans as it took money out of the club that could have been used for transfers both last summer and this, as the club tries to return to the Premier League.

"The club's annual accounts for the 2020-21 season detail a loan to Wisdom Smart Corporation Limited, a related party to me. Regrettably, the Covid-19 pandemic saw my international businesses suffer, particularly those in the hospitality and entertainment sector, which experienced an almost complete closure for long periods, and in March 2021 I received a loan from the football club," said Lai.

"The upturn in the global economy has brought with it greater positivity and I can confirm I will repay the loan in full, with interest, by the end of the current calendar year and the funds will be available to the club during the January 2023 transfer window.

"I remain committed to returning the football club to the Premier League and I am confident we will be able to compete for promotion from the Championship this coming season."

• 5 weeks later...

EFL Championship has kicked off tonight. Burnley looking good against Huddersfield Town so far. Lovely worked goal from Chelsea loanee Maatsen playing a marauding role from left back.

3 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I am, quite frankly, shocked that Paul Hartley's seaside league bargain bin XI has fallen to a 4-0 horsing on the opening day.

Yeah it's going to be some laugh watching their results this season. How long do you think he'll last? I doubt he'll see out the rest of the calendar year at Hartlepool. 

16 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Anyone watching the new highlights show with Shuggie Woozencroft on ITV4?

I watched it. Pretty much a carbon copy of the Quest highlights show. I think it's the same production company so no surprise there, really.

Thought the new presenter done well but he's no Colin Murray.