Starting out in the WOSL

As I said in the Ardeer thread I’m new to this level of football, been to a few games last season from Saltcoats vics to Darvel and Auchinleck. 

my brother and I are hoping to do a lot more games next season, suppose as I read the threads and attend games I will get to know more but I was looking for a WOSL 101.

Any must see games? Grounds? Fixtures? 

As for teams I reckon I’m gonna back Saltcoats vics as it’s a team with a family connection,  the other is Talbot but that seemed a bit glory huntery!

Depends what you like in your experience but I'd say get to places that are traditional type grounds like Pollok, Meadow, Talbot and plenty more up and down the divisions.

Derby matches can be good for drawing a crowd and I'd keep an eye on the early rounds of the big Scottish Cup for interesting fixtures. There's always a buzz for those games, especially when it's a former Junior side making their debut.

Enjoy!

53 minutes ago, Sammo said:

As I said in the Ardeer thread I’m new to this level of football, been to a few games last season from Saltcoats vics to Darvel and Auchinleck. 

my brother and I are hoping to do a lot more games next season, suppose as I read the threads and attend games I will get to know more but I was looking for a WOSL 101.

As for teams I reckon I’m gonna back Saltcoats vics as it’s a team with a family connection,  the other is Talbot but that seemed a bit glory huntery!

Welcome pal!

Will let others guide you for games etc but there are a few simple rules for this part of the forum;-

1. Everyone hates Darvel so you must do the same

2. Don't say Junior

3. Make sure you noise up a fella called @glensmad at every opportunity

4. It's a wee shame for @passbackdave

Follow these and you'll have a ball!

9 minutes ago, Shanner said:

Depends what you like in your experience but I'd say get to places that are traditional type grounds like Pollok, Meadow, Talbot and plenty more up and down the divisions.

Derby matches can be good for drawing a crowd and I'd keep an eye on the early rounds of the big Scottish Cup for interesting fixtures. There's always a buzz for those games, especially when it's a former Junior side making their debut.

Enjoy!

I do like the idea of traditional grounds and yeah the talbot v darvel game had a real buzz as did the Kilwinning game I was at so hoping to get to a few more grounds

5 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Welcome pal!

Will let others guide you for games etc but there are a few simple rules for this part of the forum;-

2. Don't say Junior

3. Make sure you noise up a fella called @glensmad at every opportunity

4. It's a wee shame for @passbackdave

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Sammo said:

Ardrossan is a great wee ground up your way. Im quite similar, i follow Ayr when i can but if thats not an option I follow the South Ayrshire teams. Maybole, Girvan and Troon are 3 traditional junior grounds that you would enjoy

Welcome pal!
2. Don't say Junior
3. Make sure you noise up a fella called [mention=23282]glensmad[/mention] at every opportunity
4. It's a wee shame for [mention=29359]passbackdave[/mention]
Bring it on. [emoji1787]

A great decision, you'll love it.

I've found that some clubs I expected to have a brilliant time at were 'alright' whilst some I didn't hold out hope for blew me away. 

I haven't done too many in the west but Pollok, Benburb, Maryhill and Kilwinning Rangers were all brilliant places to visit from my experience.

My advice would be to pick and choose your games and see as much of the west as possible.

If you're looking for big games that will definitely feature next season;

Auchinleck Talbot v Cumnock
Arthurlie v Pollok
Darvel v Hurlford

Just to name a couple. Best of luck, maybe we'll end up at a few of the same games next season.

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

As for teams I reckon I’m gonna back Saltcoats vics as it’s a team with a family connection

There ye go then...you've answered your own question.

AWR are doing fine and probably don't need you anyway (although every penny counts) and Ardeer Thistle are reported to be on the verge of a billion pound sponsorship & takeover package.

Get yourself along to Campbell Park and join in.

They are nice people.

Get involved...If you're not a complete walloper, you'll likely be on the committee in time for the start of the season.

3 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

There ye go then...you've answered your own question.

AWR are doing fine and probably don't need you anyway (although every penny counts) and Ardeer Thistle are reported to be on the verge of a billion pound sponsorship & takeover package.

Get yourself along to Campbell Park and join in.

They are nice people.

Get involved...If you're not a complete walloper, you'll likely be on the committee in time for the start of the season.

Aye I had already kinda settled on Saltcoats to be fair just trying to give a bit of background. 

just happy to watch the games to be honest can’t imagine I’d have much to offer in running the games 😂

22 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Aye I had already kinda settled on Saltcoats to be fair just trying to give a bit of background. 

just happy to watch the games to be honest can’t imagine I’d have much to offer in running the games 😂

Every little helps as they say Sammo, simple things like putting bins out/in , selling raffle tickets can assist most teams especially those with small committees .

A wee trip into darkest Lanarkshire is always a good day out. My favourites in no particular order are ,

Lesmahagow

Lanark

Cambuslang Rangers 

Larkhall Thistle 

cracking grounds and well worth a visit  

Edited by Lurcer

56 minutes ago, holmparkheroes said:

Every little helps as they say Sammo, simple things like putting bins out/in , selling raffle tickets can assist most teams especially those with small committees .

Steady on now...we've got these lads going from casual spectators to becoming Head of Stadium Services, and Corporate Finance Officer, within the space of a few hours.

This is Saltcoats Victoria we're talking about here,...we haven't even asked them yet if they can kick a baw in an approximately straight line. They might be up for a game...

5 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Steady on now...we've got these lads going from casual spectators to becoming Head of Stadium Services, and Corporate Finance Officer, within the space of a few hours.

This is Saltcoats Victoria we're talking about here,...we haven't even asked them yet if they can kick a baw in an approximately straight line. They might be up for a game...

Sadly my playing days are well over and never amounted to much when they were in full swing 😂

7 hours ago, Sammo said:

Just follow the Killiepyo guy about for a few years mate and then you won't be far away from winning teams.......

Edited by Thejackdaw

41 minutes ago, Thejackdaw said:

Just follow the Killiepyo guy about for a few years mate and then you won't be far away from winning teams.......

You’ve got a short memory Hertha. He filmed your team on cup final day and you correctly bigged him up for it.