Malta

Yes. 

What sort of holiday are you looking for - family/All Inclusive, beach holiday or a bit more outdoorsy? 

I went in February and stayed here - https://www.dbhotelsresorts.com/en/Hotels/db-San-Antonio

I was looking for a cheap All Inclusive and it fitted the bill perfectly. There are a few attractions in the local area - an aquarium, classic car exhibition and a small 'waterpark' (think they are stretching the definition somewhat!). It was exactly what I was looking for and I enjoyed it. 

If you're looking for more outdoor type activities or a beach, I would not recommend this area as you won't find it.  

I also stayed in Mellieha previously, which is quite nice and has a decent beach. I went in January so never used it, but it looked nice enough!

It's a small island so you are never really that far away from different places, but public transport is a chore (basically you'll be going into Valletta and connecting if you want a bus somewhere else). You may wish to hire a car if you're looking at seeing more of the island's natural.beauty or historic parts. 

Went to Malta last year, stayed at the Intercontinental via Jet2, we had a nice time. Got a wee bit bored as we arent beach types but the food with the mix of african and italian influences is top notch, Valletta is really nice to walk around in an evening too. We used the maltease version of uber when travelling about and it was fine. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Contemplating booking up for November when it'll be about 14°. Perfect weather to just Ashcroft it about the place drinking it all in.

I went in May a few years ago when there was a freak snow storm in Italy that blew all the way down, it was fucking freezing out of the sun. Could just as well be 20 degrees in November though.

On 29/06/2022 at 14:11, Arch Stanton said:

Their biggest tourist attraction is the abandoned set of the Robin Williams movie  "Popeye".

And if you're into beaches forget it, there's one very small beach on the south of the island and that's pretty much it.

Im not really into beaches, but theres actually a really nice beach at St Julians. 

6 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im not really into beaches, but theres actually a really nice beach at St Julians. 

I'll take your word for it, I stayed in Sliema (had the worst curry in my life there and that includes Orlando).

Hired a car while I was there (1994) and got a green Skoda Favorit estate (like the one in Still Game but green). Drove all the way around the island (they drive on the left) and IIRC the island "ring road" bypasses St. Julians.

It wasn't all bad, the Blue Grotto in the south of the island is stunning and a lot of Valetta is picture perfect. Was pretty cheap to eat and drink and the seafood is especially good.

15 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I'll take your word for it, I stayed in Sliema (had the worst curry in my life there and that includes Orlando).

Hired a car while I was there (1994) and got a green Skoda Favorit estate (like the one in Still Game but green). Drove all the way around the island (they drive on the left) and IIRC the island "ring road" bypasses St. Julians.

It wasn't all bad, the Blue Grotto in the south of the island is stunning and a lot of Valetta is picture perfect. Was pretty cheap to eat and drink and the seafood is especially good.

Its changed a fair bit since 1994 in fairness. I wouldnt rush back or anything, but the place was nice enough, decent food and good weather. Valetta was superb to spend an evening in. Id be too scared to have a curry in Orlando, had one in NY once and it wasnt very good. 

Edited by Inanimate Carbon Rod

1 minute ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its changed a fair bit since 1994 in fairness. I wouldnt rush back or anything, but the place was nice enough, decent food and good weather. Valetta was superb to spend an evening in. Id be too scared to have a curry in Orlando, had one in NY once and it wasnt very good. 

I ordered a chicken madras. The server asked if I'd like it mild medium or hot.

"Hot of course".

"Wow, have you had curry before sir?".

"I'm from Scotland, we invented restaurant curries".

"Okaaay".

It was perfunctory at best. They had clearly added some chilli powder right at the end without cooking it out resulting in the sauce being "gritty". Nonetheless, the one in Sliema was worse.

Their biggest tourist attraction is the abandoned set of the Robin Williams movie  "Popeye".
And if you're into beaches forget it, there's one very small beach on the south of the island and that's pretty much it.
But if you're into churches you're spoilt for choice, church on every street.

On 29/06/2022 at 14:11, Arch Stanton said:

What a lot of pish.

There are several beaches, although not as many as most islands, I'll give you that. Also, to say Popeye village is the main tourist attraction when you have a capital city like Valleta is just plain wrong.

Valletta is beautiful and absolutely packed with history. Could easily spend a week or so just their.

Public transport is great and cheap if u are just thinking of hanging around the Valletta area.

Each of the three sister peninsulas to the South of Valletta across the grand harbour also have their own history and charms. Easy access by bus and ferry.

Sliema and St Jules in the North bit of the wider Valletta conurbation are the party bits..but a bit shitty tbh.

The rest of the island is also a bit grubby and very built up...hardly any countryside....although St Pete's pool in the East, Mdina in the centre and the blue grotto on the West coast are nice if a bit touristy.

Lots of archaeological sites with some of the earliest evidence of human civilization if that interests you (it did me.)

My advice for a cracking day trip from Valletta......get up early...take the fast cat to gozo (takes about an hour)....hire a quad bike.....and visit numerous beautiful beaches and small towns. Don't miss the blue hole for a grand snorkeling experience👍

We were there for a week last September and it was roasting. 

Loads of historical stuff.  We bought one of those Heritage Malta  passes from the museums/tourist places and it was worth every penny to us as we love that sort of stuff  Also  helped us focus on actually doing things rather than just wasting time sitting in cafes etc. 

I agree with the fact that most buses start/end in Valetta.  We were about 10-15 mins on the bus from there but loads of times it was full and passed people waiting at bus stops.

IMG_20210924_184044.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2022 at 02:43, Sugar_Army said:

We were there for a week last September and it was roasting. 

Loads of historical stuff.  We bought one of those Heritage Malta  passes from the museums/tourist places and it was worth every penny to us as we love that sort of stuff  Also  helped us focus on actually doing things rather than just wasting time sitting in cafes etc. 

I agree with the fact that most buses start/end in Valetta.  We were about 10-15 mins on the bus from there but loads of times it was full and passed people waiting at bus stops.

IMG_20210924_184044.jpg

not bad