General health-can it be a state of mind?

With the first page of this forum having three health related threads (Coronavirus, Monkeypox and Polio) and in light of a conversation I have just had with a colleague about approach to health, I wondered if I am swimming upstream in my belief that having a positive outlook when it comes to health can be helpful.

Of course there are diseases and health conditions which will happen regardless of your mindset. What I mean is more how someone approaches health. For example, I know people who, when they see someone with a cold, the first thing they say and think is that they too will get it. A day or so later right enough they're suffering. The aforementioned colleague has just said that she is still wearing a mask essentially because she is scared of the 'rona. She has spoken constantly about long covid for a year now and when she got it in May, sure enough she was floored with it and is now maintaining she still has symptoms. Even to the point where she has booked in for heart scans and lung capacity test.  

So, do we think that we can maintain good health by thinking ourselves healthy, accompanied of course by good nutrition/lifestyle or am I completely wrong on this?

I think it's more likely your colleague is a hypochondriac and attention seeking which makes your normal behaviour and immune system seem impressive, it's not, they're just morons. 

I used to have someone like this at one of my previous jobs, every second week they were off to the hospital for scans or tests despite not being ill, the whole office would have a cold and they'd have a different virus, a mild cough would be a throat infection. 

Imagine being that boring your biggest personality trait is feigning being sick for attention...

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

26 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I think it's more likely your colleague is a hypochondriac and attention seeking which makes your normal behaviour and immune system seem impressive, it's not, they're just morons. 

I used to have someone like this at one of my previous jobs, every second week they were off to the hospital for scans or tests despite not being ill, the whole office would have a cold and they'd have a different virus, a mild cough would be a throat infection. 

Imagine being that boring your biggest personality trait is feigning being sick for attention...

I think every workplace has at least one of those hypochondriac types...my guess is they don't have much going on in their lives and their supposed ill-health gives them something to talk about they wouldn't otherwise have.

Can be funny sometimes when they forget what is supposed to be wrong with them - was one wifie that stayed off for a fortnight and realised when she came back that she'd initially claimed she had diarrhoea.

Having the shits for a solid fortnight would probably get you either in intensive care or in the Guinness Book of Records.

Aye I have an arsehole 'family' member who is like this. There always seems to be something wrong with her. Funnily enough she does it that often that when she had a genuine illness a few years back no one believed her and it turns out it was potentially quite serious. Hasn't stopped her continuing to do this attention seeking shite.

Not sure I've mentioned her before.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

No idea if you can "think" yourself into good health (probably can though to some extent) but I have no doubt that you can make yourself physically ill by having a dreadful outlook on life. There must be some research out there showing that miserable, stressy people get sick more often than others

This is my thinking too. Things like stress can cause physical issues, most commonly sleeplessness which then brings its own issues leading to a feeling of being run down. 

I do however believe that if you are ill, and I mean seriously ill, a positive outlook can help. 

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

in light of a conversation I have just had with a colleague 

Always a big mistake.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I have an arsehole 'family' member 

Fucksake, she's up there with @scottsdadjob and @Jacksgrandagoing to hospital.

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

With the first page of this forum having three health related threads (Coronavirus, Monkeypox and Polio) and in light of a conversation I have just had with a colleague about approach to health, I wondered if I am swimming upstream in my belief that having a positive outlook when it comes to health can be helpful.

Marvin Andrews likes this.

Well, placebos are a recognised phenomena, as is voodoo bullshit like homeopathy and acupuncture. Voodoo as well, for that matter.

It's impossible to say that individuals whose symptoms improve wouldn't have got better with no treatment at all, but belief seems like it can play a part in overcoming minor ailments, much like people can be happier by finding religion.

Quite how people get themselves in the right mindset to deny reality is another matter.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye I have an arsehole 'family' member who is like this. There always seems to be something wrong with her. Funnily enough she does it that often that when she had a genuine illness a few years back no one believed her and it turns out it was potentially quite serious. Hasn't stopped her continuing to do this attention seeking shite.

Similar to my annoying relative, likes nothing more than a bit of illness or injury. The penny finally dropped for me after they went arse over tit yet AGAIN (wouldn't be surprised if it was deliberate) and sent photos as soon as they could to family members with the bruised face and a huge grin to accompany it.. Realised they were absolutely buzzing over the whole business, beyond excited to have a reason to inconvenience people and make everything about them.