Championship Odds 2022-23.

59 minutes ago, qpfc said:

It’s a weird one with Cove. Quite clearly the best side in league 1 last season and we finished 28 points behind them in the process but I’ve just got this feeling that they’ll struggle tbh. An experienced team with recognisable names, but they’re very much an aging squad. Key players for them such as Logan, Vigurs, Reynolds and Mcallister all well in to their mid 30’s nowadays. Reynolds and vigurs in particular looked done in the games I seen them. These guys might of had the football brain and know how on getting over the line in league 1 but I’m unsure if that’s going to transfer into the championship as smoothly as people might think 

I could be completely wrong though and they end up surviving comfortably 

I agree to a large extent on Reynolds and Vigurs. In my mind Hartley brought them in to get us out of L1, which worked, but I always thought they wouldn't cut it at Championship level and would need replacing. Was short-sighted in some respects but achieved the goal. They could perhaps do a job for us this season or be squad players but to really push on we need better starting XI players than them.

Vigurs has 2 years left on his contract and Reynolds 1 year.

Logan and McAllister though I feel will still hold their own in the Championship. Rory was outstanding last year and his partnership with Mitch is class. I'd be more than happy with them as our front two and they will score at this level. A plus is we have a settled side and have had for a few years.

We'll find it difficult to better the players we have (without using the loan market), even with the lure of Championship football, purely because we, along with Arbroath it must be said, have a lot of the best PT players in Scottish football. 

Our first few signings will be interesting. Can McIntyre attract better permanent players than what we have, or is he going to increase the squad depth out and target the loan market for starting XI additions. Very interested.  

Edited by CoveRangers1922

On 21/06/2022 at 09:51, madton said:

Bet 365 odds;

Dundee- 7/4

Inverness- 11/4

Partick- 13/2

Hamilton- 10/1

Arbroath- 10/1

Cove Rangers- 14/1

Raith- 16/1

Ayr- 33/1

Queens Park- 40/1

Morton- 50/1

I'm guessing not much thought has went into that. Accies 4th favourites ffs.

If e/w covers down to fourth then Raith are a decent price.

24 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is this the effect a season in the 3rd tier has on a person?

Thank f**k my team have NEVER been that shite.

No. It's the effect that some pile of shite with no morals has on people. You just don't get it. Must be the glue you're sniffing.

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

A Championship Queen's Park has far greater attraction to players than the L1 version which goes without saying. Although not an inspiring season in L1, the promotion through the playoff was huge and timely. Their grand plan continues gaining traction. If they stalled in L1 for a few / several seasons it would potentially look less appealing to outsiders.

They have a much bigger pool of players to recruit from than us. We are fishing in a puddle and they are fishing in a lake

They can offer FT, probably above average wages for this division, great training complex and facilities and signs of progression. Better than what many Championship sides can offer and due to that are ahead of us in many respects. Still need to recruit and perform but the difference in the odds between the 2 teams is confusing at best or just wrong imo.

What Cove have is physicality throughout, 2 strikers who are both ruthless finishers and a good midfield (particularly Fyvie and Yule). What we are lacking is pace, which is my worry and needs addressing, and a lack of depth. 

Recruitment for everyone is massive and will be for us. We need a few starting XI additions and to use the loan market well. In my opinion we need to get to hybrid or FT sooner rather than later, easy to say but commercially difficult and risky to do. PT is working well for Arbroath, made slightly easier given they train in Perth which is commutable by a wider geography. 

There are also only a certain amount of full time players to pick from, players move in and around teams in this league like crazy. Then there’s also players who move from PT to FT and in the reverse FT to PT 

I don’t think they’ve got that much more players to choose from, unless they started signing a lot of guys from England but it’s hard to get good quality guys up from down there 

Maybe the one thing you’ve got going against you is where you’re based, already touched on the fact that if ourselves and yourselves were going in for a player and you train in Aberdeen while we train in Perth guys would have an extra 3 hours travelling every night there is training if coming from Edinburgh/ Glasgow area

I was more meaning that QP squad looks fitter, younger and more physical than Coves on paper. Guys like Logan and Reynolds and McAllister all clearly got quality but how are their legs? I’ve really noticed Jason Thomsons age catch up with him a bit the last year or so. Love him and he’d still be brilliant in L1 but I think he’s maybe getting on a bit to play in this division

Even someone like Fyvie, quality player but similar to someone like Nicky Low he’s been made of chocolate throughout his career. I was slightly concerned with Low when we signed him and I first saw him play but he got up to speed really quickly and gets around the park really well now he’s flying. Be interesting to see how Fyvie does.

Yule for example is a machine and guys like him will do very well. Think that’s why we’ve been ok. We are a really fit side and guys like McKenna and Stewart are just ridiculously fit

Still think Cove or QP could finish anywhere from 2nd to 10th, actually really looking forward to this season but also half dreading it. Football has a habit of tearing you down when you’re flying so after last season I’ve got a funny feeling that we will end up bottom or having a howler

Edited by 1320Lichtie

38 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

No. It's the effect that some pile of shite with no morals has on people. You just don't get it. Must be the glue you're sniffing.

Shit patter is caused by all that. Jeez.

What I do get is that you are upset. Try sniffing glue fella, it will change your perspective.

40 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There are also only a certain amount of full time players to pick from, players move in and around teams in this league like crazy. Then there’s also players who move from PT to FT and in the reverse FT to PT 

I don’t think they’ve got that much more players to choose from, unless they started signing a lot of guys from England but it’s hard to get good quality guys up from down there 

Maybe the one thing you’ve got going against you is where you’re based, already touched on the fact that if ourselves and yourselves were going in for a player and you train in Aberdeen while we train in Perth guys would have an extra 3 hours travelling every night there is training if coming from Edinburgh/ Glasgow area

I was more meaning that QP squad looks fitter, younger and more physical than Coves on paper. Guys like Logan and Reynolds and McAllister all clearly got quality but how are their legs? I’ve really noticed Jason Thomsons age catch up with him a bit the last year or so. Love him and he’d still be brilliant in L1 but I think he’s maybe getting on a bit to play in this division

Even someone like Fyvie, quality player but similar to someone like Nicky Low he’s been made of chocolate throughout his career. I was slightly concerned with Low when we signed him and I first saw him play but he got up to speed really quickly and gets around the park really well now he’s flying. Be interesting to see how Fyvie does.

Yule for example is a machine and guys like him will do very well. Think that’s why we’ve been ok. We are a really fit side and guys like McKenna and Stewart are just ridiculously fit

Still think Cove or QP could finish anywhere from 2nd to 10th, actually really looking forward to this season but also half dreading it. Football has a habit of tearing you down when you’re flying so after last season I’ve got a funny feeling that we will end up bottom or having a howler

There's more FT times players in Scotland to choose from than there is Championship quality PT players so FT teams have the advantage I believe. Granted most play in the top division and there is more FT teams in the Championship obviously so those players are spread around. Whether the very best PT players are equal/better/worse than what Championship standard FT is, is debatable. Add in the ability to take FT players from England and elsewhere then the gap goes.

Arbroath did a fine job last season proving PT players are very capable.

QP squad is younger, potentially fitter but I wouldn't say more physical (apart from Fox). We are a physical side. Reynolds has surprisingly got a bit of pace but Vigurs has none, never has had. Hartley loved him, I hope McIntyre doesn't as much.

Rory's getting on but is fully capable of scoring goals. Fyvie, touch wood, has barely missed a game in 3 seasons with us and has real quality, 13 goals and 3 assists in 40 games last season. He should do very well. Every Arbroath fan would take Low over Fyvie I'd imagine and Cove vice versa.  

McKenna and Stewart have impressive fitness. Latter like Milne but not as good going forward in my opinion.

In golf terms it's like backing up a 59 with another low score; very hard to do but possible. Arbroath have kept enough of the spine that with a peppering of bunnet's magical loans should be competitive and aiming for mid-top half rather than fearing the bottom spots. 

31 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

There's more FT times players in Scotland to choose from than there is Championship quality PT players so FT teams have the advantage I believe. Granted most play in the top division and there is more FT teams in the Championship obviously so those players are spread around. Whether the very best PT players are equal/better/worse than what Championship standard FT is, is debatable. Add in the ability to take FT players from England and elsewhere then the gap goes.

Arbroath did a fine job last season proving PT players are very capable.

QP squad is younger, potentially fitter but I wouldn't say more physical (apart from Fox). We are a physical side. Reynolds has surprisingly got a bit of pace but Vigurs has none, never has had. Hartley loved him, I hope McIntyre doesn't as much.

Rory's getting on but is fully capable of scoring goals. Fyvie, touch wood, has barely missed a game in 3 seasons with us and has real quality, 13 goals and 3 assists in 40 games last season. He should do very well. Every Arbroath fan would take Low over Fyvie I'd imagine and Cove vice versa.  

McKenna and Stewart have impressive fitness. Latter like Milne but not as good going forward in my opinion.

In golf terms it's like backing up a 59 with another low score; very hard to do but possible. Arbroath have kept enough of the spine that with a peppering of bunnet's magical loans should be competitive and aiming for mid-top half rather than fearing the bottom spots. 

Yeah that part is true about quantity of players available who are up to this level I suppose. Have to find the right ones, guys who could be FT but choose PT for personal reasons. I think older guys coming away from FT at 30 or so is gonna be the thing for us going forward (like Jacobs) plus loans and picking up anyone we can from lower leagues who could make step up. 

Can’t quite understand the love for us. We got promoted via a Charlie Adam masterclass and consistently showed in the SPL that we had a number of weaknesses. Just look at our goals against figures. 

Rudden looks like a very good addition, and Mulligan may well be able to step up make his mark, but it’s not certain either will shine for us over a long hard season. 

We still have some dead wood to get rid of, and while I applaud having a real manager for once, his core knowledge will be the lower leagues of England and there are a lot of players there who have come up to Scotland and failed - just look at who McIntyre signed for us. 

2013-14 is the only time we have bounced straight back up and that team were probably better than what we currently have - oh to have another Peter McDonald. 

44 minutes ago, mychurch said:

Can’t quite understand the love for us. We got promoted via a Charlie Adam masterclass and consistently showed in the SPL that we had a number of weaknesses. Just look at our goals against figures. 

Rudden looks like a very good addition, and Mulligan may well be able to step up make his mark, but it’s not certain either will shine for us over a long hard season. 

We still have some dead wood to get rid of, and while I applaud having a real manager for once, his core knowledge will be the lower leagues of England and there are a lot of players there who have come up to Scotland and failed - just look at who McIntyre signed for us. 

2013-14 is the only time we have bounced straight back up and that team were probably better than what we currently have - oh to have another Peter McDonald. 

You appear to have a competent manager this time around rather than the McPake so with the players you have he should be at the very least challenging for the title.

You can also get some absolute gems in the lower leagues in England. Our success back in 2015 is mainly built upon players from non-league in England who were seen as utter jobbers before then.

55 minutes ago, mychurch said:

Yea, I think the performance of Killie last year might be a pretty decent template for Dundee this season. A wobbling start, some smoothing out, followed by an excellent window and a climb to the top.

10 hours ago, The Derry said:

I'm genuinely surprised we aren't around 1/4.  League will be won by March imo.

Such brash confidence is appreciated for the humour it often admits.

Interesting that the bookies have us as 7th favourite while a few on here are tipping us for in around the promotion playoffs.  Soon find out who’s right I guess. I’ve zero idea where we’ll finish this season and I think it looks a tough league to call.  Can’t see any certainties for the bottom 2, I’d expect Dundee and ICT to be in the top 4 but honestly the other 8 could finish anywhere.  With us under new management I’d take a safe mid table finish right now to build on.