Championship Odds 2022-23.

I can't see Inverness finishing top four, never mind second.

People say this every year and they more or less always do. Top three will be Thistle, Dundee and Inverness, not sure in what order. Expecting Morton and Raith to be battling for the final play-off spot, maybe with Arbroath if they can use the loan market well again to build a good hybrid squad.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

… maybe with Arbroath if they can use the loan market well again to build a good hybrid squad.

Still persisting with this hybrid p1sh I see.

Are Albion Rovers, Elgin City and Montrose etc etc hybrid? In case you don’t know the answer then it’s no, no they’re not, just like Arbroath and every other part-time club which use the standard loan system.

My understanding is that Arbroath Football Club have one single full-time non-playing member of staff on their payroll.

FWIW I would be more than happy for Arbroath to be hybrid but we’re most certainly not at the moment.

Edited by Tattie36

19 minutes ago, Pat Boon said:

Rudden's pish mate. I told you lot in January that he'd be playing in the Championship next season. Love to see you lot relegated. Scumbags!!

Ooft. Plastic Whistle fans are more triggered than their OF neighbours 

47 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Still persisting with this hybrid p1sh I see.

Are Albion Rovers, Elgin City and Montrose etc etc hybrid? In case you don’t know the answer then it’s no, no they’re not, just like Arbroath and every other part-time club which use the standard loan system.

My understanding is that Arbroath Football Club have one single full-time non-playing member of staff on their payroll.

FWIW I would be more than happy for Arbroath to be hybrid but we’re most certainly not at the moment.

Why bite 😂

And who would that be? Paul Reid (commercial director) and the people working in the shop?

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, Double Jack D said:

Probably jinx our whole season but 16/1 looks pretty decent value for us.

We’re struggling to fill in the most desperate positions. CB’s and Forward areas. 

Arbroath have kept their key defensive players for this coming season, which will play a big role in where they finish - I would predict in the top 4.

But, as others have mentioned, its too soon to really start making predictions until all the clubs have made their signings - and we are all a long way off from knowing this yet.

I suspect Raith, Inverness, Dundee and Arbroath will all be in the mix - but there is always a surprise team who do well and usually a team who go on a downward spiral ( see Dunfermline and Falkirk ).

5 minutes ago, an86 said:

We’re not going to win it, but I’d have us at 40/1 doing at least as well on some on more than half those odds.

The difference between Cove and QP is incredible 😂 I think I’d rather have QP squad. Know the league went differently last year but this league is a bit different, I think it’s faster and more physical and QP seem to have more of that at the moment 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Why bite 😂

And who would that be? Paul Reid (commercial director) and the people working in the shop?

Ach I know.

My understanding is Paul Reid is the only full-time but perhaps there are others in admin etc.

This is really a wide open and impossible to predict division this time. Everyone could realistically target the top four, everyone but Dundee could realistically end up in a relegation battle.

As a yoyo club you don't tend to think of Dundee as runaway favourites the way bigger clubs like Hearts or Dundee United are looked at when they find themselves down here, but they've also broken the habit of decades by seemingly making a competent managerial appointment. That confirms them as favourites but it would be a big surprise to see them do it a canter.

There's not much reason to believe Partick or Inverness will slip back, but it's not out of the question in either case. Arbroath will again be needing to get loan signings right. Raith have a big transition with Murray coming in.

Queen's Park's budget should really propel them right into the top four but how much they actually strengthen and how good a manager Coyle is now are both open questions. Cove are also an unknown who need to strengthen, but McIntyre has never failed to do a very good job in the Championship and runaway League One winners usually find themselves comfortably clear of relegation the following season. Morton were the third best team in the league under Imrie but tailed off massively in the final quarter and have lost important players all over the park, so it remains to be seen how well he can maintain that form. Ayr tend to bring in unknown players at this level where you can't say if they're going to be more like Adeloye or Gondoh until the season gets going. The way Hamilton got themselves comfortably clear of relegation you'd think should be a platform to look up the division this season, but they look like a complete basketcase off the park and with pre-season having started no has a clue if Taylor is even still the manager.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The difference between Cove and QP is incredible 😂 I think I’d rather have QP squad. Know the league went differently last year but this league is a bit different, I think it’s faster and more physical and QP seem to have more of that at the moment 

It’s a weird one with Cove. Quite clearly the best side in league 1 last season and we finished 28 points behind them in the process but I’ve just got this feeling that they’ll struggle tbh. An experienced team with recognisable names, but they’re very much an aging squad. Key players for them such as Logan, Vigurs, Reynolds and Mcallister all well in to their mid 30’s nowadays. Reynolds and vigurs in particular looked done in the games I seen them. These guys might of had the football brain and know how on getting over the line in league 1 but I’m unsure if that’s going to transfer into the championship as smoothly as people might think 

I could be completely wrong though and they end up surviving comfortably 

Edited by qpfc

6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

A Championship Queen's Park has far greater attraction to players than the L1 version which goes without saying. Although not an inspiring season in L1, the promotion through the playoff was huge and timely. Their grand plan continues gaining traction. If they stalled in L1 for a few / several seasons it would potentially look less appealing to outsiders.

They have a much bigger pool of players to recruit from than us. We are fishing in a puddle and they are fishing in a lake

They can offer FT, probably above average wages for this division, great training complex and facilities and signs of progression. Better than what many Championship sides can offer and due to that are ahead of us in many respects. Still need to recruit and perform but the difference in the odds between the 2 teams is confusing at best or just wrong imo.

What Cove have is physicality throughout, 2 strikers who are both ruthless finishers and a good midfield (particularly Fyvie and Yule). What we are lacking is pace, which is my worry and needs addressing, and a lack of depth. 

Recruitment for everyone is massive and will be for us. We need a few starting XI additions and to use the loan market well. In my opinion we need to get to hybrid or FT sooner rather than later, easy to say but commercially difficult and risky to do. PT is working well for Arbroath, made slightly easier given they train in Perth which is commutable by a wider geography.