The Patrick Grady Affair

ICTChris

I'm sure this is being discussed on other threads but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

Former SNP chief whip Patrick Grady has been served with a two day suspension from the House of Commons, after having been found guilty of sexually harrassing an SNP staffer at a social event in 2016.  An independent panel found that Mr Grady had inappropriately touched, stroked the hair of and made a sexual advance on a 19 year old SNP worker in a pub while under the influence of alcohol.  Grady apologised to the Commons last week.

The story has carried on after a recording was made of the SNP group of MPs meeting last week, where SNP group leader Ian Blackford said that MPs should give as much support as possible to Grady when he returned to their group.  Another MP, Amy Callahan, was recorded as saying that MPs should be rallying together to support Grady when he returned.  These remarks have drawn criticism from the victim in this case, who has said he feels as though the SNP have sided with Grady and that he has been frozen out of his work due making the complaint.  The SNP initially tried to deal with the complaint informally, with the staffer being called to an unscheduled meeting with Blackford and Grady in Blackford's office, where a tearful Grady apologised to the staffer.

In addition to this, the fact that an SNP MP group meeting was recorded and then leaked has caused concern, with the SNP group leader raising the issue with Parliamentary security.  

Have any P&Bers ever been touched up by an MP?

Who do P&Bers think recorded the meeting and leaked it?

As much as I'd like to say that this shows how immoral and corrupt the SNP are, I think they are just behaving like any other party would.  I can definitely see the thought process behind trying to deal with the issue informally, sweep sweep etc.  I'm sure many other such cases have been successfully covered up by political parties.

Patrick Grady was the year above me at school so I have always kept an eye on what he is up to in the news etc and from what I can tell he was (is) a  good MP. 

Leaving aside the all politicians are the same trope.

I heard an interview with the complainant and they did seem to a bit extreme with a refusal to accept nothing less than a resignation.

I'm unsure why that position would be taken and surmised that something else is at play over and above drunken revelry half a decade ago

I think MPs (MSPs too) should be held to a higher standard.  I also expect the political party of which I’m a member to impose discipline more rigorously and not behave ‘like any other (political) party’.  To that end I’d be happy for him to have been thrown out the SNP group and asked to resign his seat.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been 19 but I imagine someone as young as that being sexually mistreated would be very traumatic.

55 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure this is being discussed on other threads but I thought it deserved a thread of it's own.

Former SNP chief whip Patrick Grady has been served with a two day suspension from the House of Commons, after having been found guilty of sexually harrassing an SNP staffer at a social event in 2016.  An independent panel found that Mr Grady had inappropriately touched, stroked the hair of and made a sexual advance on a 19 year old SNP worker in a pub while under the influence of alcohol.  Grady apologised to the Commons last week.

The story has carried on after a recording was made of the SNP group of MPs meeting last week, where SNP group leader Ian Blackford said that MPs should give as much support as possible to Grady when he returned to their group.  Another MP, Amy Callahan, was recorded as saying that MPs should be rallying together to support Grady when he returned.  These remarks have drawn criticism from the victim in this case, who has said he feels as though the SNP have sided with Grady and that he has been frozen out of his work due making the complaint.  The SNP initially tried to deal with the complaint informally, with the staffer being called to an unscheduled meeting with Blackford and Grady in Blackford's office, where a tearful Grady apologised to the staffer.

In addition to this, the fact that an SNP MP group meeting was recorded and then leaked has caused concern, with the SNP group leader raising the issue with Parliamentary security.  

Have any P&Bers ever been touched up by an MP?

Who do P&Bers think recorded the meeting and leaked it?

I would think it could have been Joanna Cherry?

Also what about the case of Patricia Gibson?

The SNP can't state that there is a zero tolerance approach to sexual harassment then come out fully supportive of this guy's nonce-like behaviour. 

He was making unwanted sexual advances to someone almost half his age and most importantly in a junior position. It would be wrong if it was a manager hitting on a admin assistant on a works night out and it's wrong when it's a politician.

By far the worst part of it is the SNP backing for him. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I think MPs (MSPs too) should be held to a higher standard.  I also expect the political party of which I’m a member to impose discipline more rigorously and not behave ‘like any other (political) party’.  To that end I’d be happy for him to have been thrown out the SNP group and asked to resign his seat.

It’s been a long time since I’ve been 19 but I imagine someone as young as that being sexually mistreated would be very traumatic.

In complete agreement with you. 

Just now, G51 said:

And that’s the real quiz.

It's standard Unionst behaviour isn't it, point scoring, 'you're worse than us', 'aye but look what they did' shite.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd have been angry but I doubt I'd have been traumatised. He'd also likely have got a discrete knee in the baws for his trouble.

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd have been angry but I doubt I'd have been traumatised. He'd also likely have got a discrete knee in the baws for his trouble.

Would be a natural reaction but not something you can do if you value your career.

Just now, Theroadlesstravelled said:

He’s called Patrick. That’s enough for them.

It's poor form using someone sexual harassment to point score against the SNP.  Be against independence all you want, that's fine, but some of the stuff on Twitter about it is wild.

13 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It's poor form using someone sexual harassment to point score against the SNP.  Be against independence all you want, that's fine, but some of the stuff on Twitter about it is wild.

This can't be a serious post surely.

Have you seen some of the stuff that gets written about the Tories related to sexual misconduct?  Serious vibes of "likes to give it out but can't take it back"

11 minutes ago, Left Back said:

This can't be a serious post surely.

Have you seen some of the stuff that gets written about the Tories related to sexual misconduct?  Serious vibes of "likes to give it out but can't take it back"

Behave yourself.  That's in poor taste too.  People getting assaulted, regardless of who it's by, shouldn't be used to point score against a Party you dislike.