Things that have riled you so much

Having a mini heids gone at the STV news coverage of the train strike. It's overwhelmingly negative and biased against it. The singular focus seems to be the disruption. 10 minutes so far and we haven't heard from any strikers or any insight or context for the strike.

It's appealing stuff, just frequently talking about how people won't be able to take trains and focusing on cherry picked sob stories of folk who this will be badly impacting 

There's a hike in bills and the cost of living, so it's absolutely fine that workers should be asking that their wages increase in line with it. Do they talk about that? Do they f**k.

Never spoke to my mother for a while. She knew I’d split up with a girl and she was still friendly with her mum. My mum saw a photo of me on a night out and knew I had a new lady who was a bit older and married. In the photo she ignored the young Cameron Diaz/Charlize Theron lookalike (thinking she was way too good for me) and instead presumed I’d shacked up with this woman in the background who looked like Geoff Capes on a bad day. She wrote me these vitriolic letters saying I was ruining my life and that I had to dump this girl immediately.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Never spoke to my mother for a while. She knew I’d split up with a girl and she was still friendly with her mum. My mum saw a photo of me on a night out and knew I had a new lady who was a bit older and married. In the photo she ignored the young Cameron Diaz/Charlize Theron lookalike (thinking she was way too good for me) and instead presumed I’d shacked up with this woman in the background who looked like Geoff Capes on a bad day. She wrote me these vitriolic letters saying I was ruining my life and that I had to dump this girl immediately.

Because you don't like to interrupt?

Sincerely,

L. Dawson.

P.S. Did you marry said Cameron Theron? Or the Geoff Capes woman for that matter.

1 hour ago, Shandön Par said:

Capes eh?

My mother in law has had me absolutely rattled a few times. Perfectly nice when she wants to be but regularly a selfish arsehole and at her worst particularly vile and nasty.

Most of this is how she treats others (mainly my mrs and father in law) but still has me utterly raging. 

All very cliche, I suppose. 

Folk not answering their phone really sets me off. I've lost count of the number of times I've done this and when they usually answer I get "what's wrong with you?". It's an unhealthy level of rage that comes out in me.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Folk not answering their phone really sets me off. I've lost count of the number of times I've done this and when they usually answer I get "what's wrong with you?". It's an unhealthy level of rage that comes out in me.

I don’t like answering my phone. It’s always on silent. I would much rather receive a WhatsApp, text or email and then if a phone call is required that’s fine. 

Normally when someone phoned me I’ve found it’s because they want something and it’s always to their benefit and not mine. 

One of the worst things you can do to someone is phone them with no prior context.

I don’t like answering my phone. It’s always on silent. I would much rather receive a WhatsApp, text or email and then if a phone call is required that’s fine. 
Normally when someone phoned me I’ve found it’s because they want something and it’s always to their benefit and not mine. 
One of the worst things you can do to someone is phone them with no prior context.
I'm a texter so when I phone someone it's for a good reason. Same the other way. I rarely receive calls so if I do I answer as it's unusual and expect it's something important.

20 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

Not true. What about all that free loft insulation, insurance payouts for accidents you've been involved in and all those viruses that are on your computer?

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

My mother in law has had me absolutely rattled a few times. Perfectly nice when she wants to be but regularly a selfish arsehole and at her worst particularly vile and nasty.

Most of this is how she treats others (mainly my mrs and father in law) but still has me utterly raging. 

All very cliche, I suppose. 

Been there with my wife's step-mother. It's 3 years since we have seen them but in the years up to then, it was awful. She was just a vile woman (still is, but no longer in our lives thankfully). Her father now has lost all connections to all of his kids.

It's threads like these that make me grateful to be an only child of an only child. My grandmother was one of thirteen children, and the stories I've been told about how the siblings all screwed each other over are astonishing.

Two of the brothers started a successful business together when they were young, and one of them eventually emptied the bank accounts and fled the country, leaving his younger brother to pay off the remaining debts with nothing. He eventually came back when all the money was spent and, by the time I was wee and they were pensioners, they were on speaking terms and saw each other regularly. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall during that initial conversation.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
31 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

I'm a texter so when I phone someone it's for a good reason. Same the other way. I rarely receive calls so if I do I answer as it's unusual and expect it's something important.

This is a pretty entitled attitude mate. If I'm spending time with someone, or doing something I want to concentrate on, then I'll probably switch my phone off or put it to silent. If it's important you can send a message to say that something is important and you'd like to talk about it, but expecting folk to just drop what they're doing (which by the sounds of it you haven't considered at all) to respond to your immediate need is a bit off.

This is a pretty entitled attitude mate. If I'm spending time with someone, or doing something I want to concentrate on, then I'll probably switch my phone off or put it to silent. If it's important you can send a message to say that something is important and you'd like to talk about it, but expecting folk to just drop what they're doing (which by the sounds of it you haven't considered at all) to respond to your immediate need is a bit off.

At least you switch your phone off if you're busy. That's a sign you're engaged.

FWIW, if I'm with someone and their phone goes I have absolutely no issue with them saying "Do you mind if I take this call?". I find it far ruder if they are sitting reading/sending a text while we're talking. Another reason why I'd phone with important info. rather than text.

I like managers who insist on being called with bad news, presumably so they can run your voice through their incredible bullshit detector and find out if you're lying.

Even better if they never pick up their phone because they're far too busy, but expect you to take the phone with you to the lavvy.

14 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

At least you switch your phone off if you're busy. That's a sign you're engaged.

FWIW, if I'm with someone and their phone goes I have absolutely no issue with them saying "Do you mind if I take this call?". I find it far ruder if they are sitting reading/sending a text while we're talking. Another reason why I'd phone with important info. rather than text.

Well aye, you say you're calling with important information, but that's relative and highly subjective.  Also, do you need someone's phone to be off to know that they're engaged? Surely a phone ringing out tells you that they're too occupied and engaged to answer the call.