Happy Fathers day

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there.  I hope you've all enjoyed your day.  Never take the love of your dad or your children to you as a dad for granted but at the same time I feel it's sometimes underrated. 

:)

A poignant one for me this year, in what is almost certainly my last with my old man. We visited him and he was having a good day. It was great. 

But when I look at friends and family many people are in situations not ideal. A family member lost his dad unexpectedly last year, so this was his first year without his dad. My wife is estranged from her dad (he is estranged from all of his kids) but she made an effort for me. And then of course there are all the guys out there who, for whatever reason, cannot see their kids on father's day. That must be very tough. 

Also, Father's Day falls on different days in different countries. When I lived in Sweden I remember passing a shop full of Father's Day stuff. Realising it must be coming up soon, I picked up a card and posted it home to my dad (I thought he would appreciate a Swedish Father's Day card). He was pretty confused when receiving a card he couldn't read or understand in the middle of October from me. 

I got 2 pairs of socks, 2 mugs, 2 boxes of chocolates, a wash bag with smelly stuff in it, a pair of coasters, a tee shirt and two apple turnovers, so I thought I didn't do too bad.

Youngest stepdaughter asked me on Saturday "Do you like apple turnovers?, I said "Yes", when she landed in I was mightily disappointed she had no apple turnovers with her, (I had forgotten about Father's Day), however, I said nothing.

I, of course, got them yesterday.

Went for a decent run in the car and walks with the other half yesterday, largely for us to escape Father's Day stuff as she still struggles with it three years after her dad died relatively young.

That "cause if there's somebody..." father's day advert that's been on constantly sets her off every time.

As for me, I've never bothered with Father's Day since my dad emigrated Down Under when I was 16.  Been all sorts of family politics since then, and although we occasionally chat away on the phone and meet up when he's over here every five years or so, I've never bothered with even a card.

Edited by Hedgecutter

23 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I got 2 pairs of socks, 2 mugs, 2 boxes of chocolates, a wash bag with smelly stuff in it, a pair of coasters, a tee shirt and two apple turnovers, so I thought I didn't do too bad.

Youngest stepdaughter asked me on Saturday "Do you like apple turnovers?, I said "Yes", when she landed in I was mightily disappointed she had no apple turnovers with her, (I had forgotten about Father's Day), however, I said nothing.

I, of course, got them yesterday.

Iced apple turnovers, or covered in sugar?