Spartans Season 22-23

Hoofhearted

30 minutes ago, PossilYM said:

The Lowland league needs a strong Albion Rovers.

Five "Lanarkshire" clubs on the modern boundaries next season plus one of the gruesome twosome B teams playing in Airdrie means they will have plenty of relatively local games.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Five "Lanarkshire" clubs on the modern boundaries next season plus one of the gruesome twosome B teams playing in Airdrie means they will have plenty of relatively local games.

Funny you say gruesome but outside of P&B my next stop for info on non league football in Scotland is Follow Follow.

Strange that.

Congratulations Spartans!

I managed to get along to this sell out match! For all the chat about Albion Rovers finishing bottom with a record points tally and being much better than previous bottom sides... today they were poor. Really poor. Spartans never really looked under much threat and were far superior in the middle of the park without actually playing all that well themselves. 

Spartans REALLY need a striker if they are to do anything in league 2 next season. In two matches against Rovers, Henderson has offered nothing (well, except a well struck penalty this afternoon).

Other than that, they are a solid side and when the game opened up a bit with Rovers going for it, they opened them up 2 or 3 times and really got at them, especially down the left wing.... but all chances created were wasted. Armstrong, Wright and Tapping are all quality and easily League 2 standard from today's showing. 

For Rovers, Bevan was the stand out. Arguably best player on the park today and he certainly understood how big the game was. At 1-0 he was the only one driving at the Spartans defence and forced a tremendous save from Spartans keeper with a great effort from distance... the only real chance Rovers had.

In the end, Spartans were better and deserved the win. But I think even all the Spartans fans felt for the one Rovers official who was going round the pitch all game and was in tears at the end. He'll be there next season and I hope someone got him a drink after the game.

Hearty congratulations to Spartans.

Had he lived to see it Wheelie Jim would doubtless be a proud man tonight. Most of the kids at Cliftonhill today mustn't even have been born when he passed away, but the facility many of them use and which has facilitated their adult team's promotion depended in great part upon his effort, and has been added to since. I know he was very disappointed when Spartans missed election to SFL in 2008 but 15yrs later they have won it by onfield endeavour. There will have been others like him 'been & gone' but Jim came to mind for me this evening.

image.png.86341a20c087ae95281ee32ab5ce6e16.png

4 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Never figured out if it's Rangers fans that like their local team or non leaguers that follow Rangers.

My grandfather always used to say he supported Rangers, Linfield and Bo'ness United in increasing order of Protestantism. Mainly aiming for three red dots in quick succession from vikingtòn with that but think FF is just a reflection of how people from an Orange background tend to view the world. Having a big team and a wee team is very much normal.

15 minutes ago, WC Boggs said:

Congratulations Spartans you've earned your chance in League 2.  Albion Rovers join East Stirling, Berwick, Brechin and Cowdenbeath. Gone but not forgotten and still alive and kicking. 

Stenhousrmuir must be feeling lonely.

Congrats to Spartans on their long awaited promotion. 

Hopefully the good people of Sparta will come out in numbers to follow you on your new adventure.

Oh yeah, can you take the b teams with you please and lose them somewhere isolated before you reach your destination.

Congrats to Spartans. Worthy winners. However much of a faff it is to make it happen, that level of Scottish Football is slowly but surely freshening up a bit with the sides going up and coming down in the last few years. Long may it continue.

Great stuff Spartans.  Delighted for Dougie and his coaching staff...and medic man Craig.

A lesson for so many other teams.  Things didn't seem to be progressing as they'd like with no promotion over the years....but perseverance, trust and loyalty has seen the job done.  I can't think of any team in any of the leagues that would have given Dougie the time he has been given, to get this right.  All the others would have had him relieved of his position years ago.

Well done Spartans.

1 hour ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

Great stuff Spartans.  Delighted for Dougie and his coaching staff...and medic man Craig.

A lesson for so many other teams.  Things didn't seem to be progressing as they'd like with no promotion over the years....but perseverance, trust and loyalty has seen the job done.  I can't think of any team in any of the leagues that would have given Dougie the time he has been given, to get this right.  All the others would have had him relieved of his position years ago.

Well done Spartans.

Very true a lot of clubs may have been fun ho and made a change , would have been a bit more different with him being charge of the day to day running of the academy.

Well done to him and Spartans anyway seems a decent guy.

Thanks to all who sent congratulations. I didn't want to come on last week and preempt anything.

We have achieved 3 4 of 5 objectives. 

Play off - tick

Lowland League- tick

HL play off - tbc tick

Club 42 play off - tbc  tick

South Challenge Cup tbc

Just the 1 to go.

3 hours ago, PossilYM said:

Believe Spartans won the South of Scotland Challenge Cup. 

They did indeed, after dominating the first half, particularly after the opening goal.  It could/should have been about 6-0 at HT as Spartans hit both posts and the bar and should have scored with another couple of  chances.

The second half was pretty poor from both teams as Spartans was content to play their disciplined low risk football (they are not a great watch). Drumchapel for their part huffed and puffed but their late goal was just a consolation.