World Cup 2026

Kansas City is a terrible pick. The stadium is in the middle of nowhere with no transport links.

Denver would have been a much better choice, but I’m wondering if the altitude factor played a part in its exclusion.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Kansas City is a terrible pick. The stadium is in the middle of nowhere with no transport links.

Denver would have been a much better choice, but I’m wondering if the altitude factor played a part in its exclusion.

This is pretty much the case for all of them in US except Metlife Stadium, Levis, and Mercedes Benz Stadium.

6 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Piss off. Actually, it's a great pick, as it's a great soccer town that will support it way better than others. There's a reason we got it, as we laid out the red carpet and it was between us and Cincinnati. Denver was never a thought.

Middle of nowhere is laughable, as it's 15 minutes from downtown and in the suburb of Independence. Imagine the horror of having to take a bus or an Uber to Arrowhead.

2 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Piss off. Actually, it's a great pick, as it's a great soccer town that will support it way better than others. There's a reason we got it, as we laid out the red carpet and it was between us and Cincinnati. Denver was never a thought.

Middle of nowhere is laughable, as it's 15 minutes from downtown and in the suburb of Independence. Imagine the horror of having to take a bus or an Uber to Arrowhead.

Thanks for confirming that Arrowhead is in the middle of nowhere with no transport links.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

CF Montreal's stadium is literally right next to the Olympic Stadium, so I doubt they'd be able to use both in a bid. Quebec City might be a shout as a place that already has a decent sized college stadium, but it would need loads of work, as would plenty of the ones in Canada actually.

Would that matter if the games at the stadiums were scheduled on different days?

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

I was wondering how big these multi-country tournaments could get before they got too unwieldy, but then I remembered that we just had a European Championships spread across the whole continent  :unsure2:

Surely this must be on that limit?

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Another idea that went through my head was do something similar to what happens with the Rugby World Cup sometimes and have one country as the host and then add some grounds outside the country to make up the numbers.  Canada could have added Seattle and Detroit or something.

I think this is a great idea and could include some smaller countries who would never get a chance of hosting a big event like this. 

Did they need to include Mexico here and left a future Caribbean one a possibility?

58 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Would that matter if the games at the stadiums were scheduled on different days?

In theory no, but the obvious question would be "why do we need both then?". Obviously Qatar has thrown the rules out the window, but in general you've seen that two stadia in the same city are usually only picked if they're quite far apart - eg Stade de France (technically in Saint-Denis, but basically Paris) and the Parc des Princes.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Thanks for confirming that Arrowhead is in the middle of nowhere with no transport links.

Interesting definition of middle of nowhere. Guess you can take your complaints to Denver as a whole for not caring much about the sport and their city and state governments not caring about their bid as they weren't even close to being considered. And lord forbid you have to ride a bus.  

Of course the most important factor is fans actually attending games, something that rarely happens in Denver unless it's a Broncos game.

Arrowhead holds 70K, and the games we'll get are likely to be something along the lines of non-premier group matches and maybe a non-premier first-round knockout match, which means they'll need locals to fill up the stadium. That will happen in KC.

Edited by AmericanFan
word

Surely the biggest issue with an Australia/NZ bid would be the fact that the two countries aren’t part of the same confederation? AFAIK every World Cup joint bid that’s been launched before (including the two successful ones from Japan/Korea and USA/Canada/Mexico) have been involving only countries from a single confederation. 

37 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Surely the biggest issue with an Australia/NZ bid would be the fact that the two countries aren’t part of the same confederation? AFAIK every World Cup joint bid that’s been launched before (including the two successful ones from Japan/Korea and USA/Canada/Mexico) have been involving only countries from a single confederation. 

I actually think that could be it's strength.  Fifa are always keen to take the competition to new regions and that's the only way it could conceivably be held in the Oceania confederation.

40 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Usually would be an issue but no one gives a f**k about Oceania

Since streams of dubious legality became a thing, I've had an ambition to watch the Oceanic qualifiers, but I fucked it up again this time round. Not that it looks like I missed much.

I had a dream once that Vanuatu qualified, and I want to disavow myself of the notion that they're Brazil 1970 in waiting.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

They're hosting the Women's World Cup next year and it doesn't seem to have been an issue.