World Cup 2026

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

Correct decision. The Germany World Cup was much better than the South African one.

Aye, but presumably the Germans were just heavier on the backhanders, rather than FIFA playing it safe.

The multi-national bids are becoming really quite mental, and it's likely to be the end of tournaments having a tangible local flavour. There's the possibility of a west/central African bid centred around Cameroon, and involving three or four other nations which, frankly, I quite fancy the sound of, although it'll never happen.

There's the possibility of a west/central African bid centred around Cameroon, and involving three or four other nations which, frankly, I quite fancy the sound of, although it'll never happen.

Were there not a lot of deaths at a stadium when Cameron hosted the Cup of Nations not long ago? That'll add at least 10% to their backhander.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Were there not a lot of deaths at a stadium when Cameron hosted the Cup of Nations not long ago? That'll add at least 10% to their backhander.

Yeah, there was a crush outside one of their games, and some supporters died. Looks like it was just something thrown out by a Cameroonian presidential candidate who lost anyway, but perm any number from Cameroon/Nigeria/Angola/DR Congo/Congolese Republic/Gabon/CAR and it would be the most memorable World Cup we'd be likely to see again, for a variety of reasons!

But yeah, CONMEBOL looks the most cohesive and ought to appeal to hearts too. Plus, only one of the past twelve tournaments have been in South America so, putting aside Africa being sidelined yet again, they've a fair claim to say it's their turn. Both Mexico and America have had more World Cups in that timeframe, FFS!  :lol:

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

Guess they've figured out they aren't being awarded it anyway. Might as well throw in Yemen and Vietnam's 1975 squad too.

Vietnam was liberated in 1975 and has had zero internal disturbances since.

Your attachment to the busted flush, American puppet regime is noted. 

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'd like to see the CONMEBOL countries win it, with it being the 100th anniversary and everything. But I wouldn't be amazed if they go with the more boring option. Remember they voted for Germany ahead of South Africa.

Well they quite clearly didn't, as both Germany and South Africa hosted World Cups in consecutive order. 

In the vote for who would host the World Cup in 2006, they opted for Germany ahead of South Africa. So, yes, they did. They then changed the rules to ensure an African nation would host in 2010, effectively giving it to South Africa on a plate.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

So in no way did they 'reject' the boring option then, by literally guaranteeing Africa's first ever tournament. And their decision to pick Germany as well was of course entirely correct: the most efficient, entertaining and best-run tournament for competitors and fans of the 21st century.  Contrasting it with the stinking turd that was South Africa with vuvuzuelas everywhere and daily England v Algeria level dud games gives lie to the supposedly exciting choice. 

Thanks for playing anyway.

On 06/10/2022 at 00:44, Donathan said:

Apparently there’s also a joint bid from Egypt, Greece and Saudi Arabia 😂

When I first read that I thought that is absolutely mental.

But a quick squint at a map and all 3 countries are pretty close together. 

Less distance between venues  than USA /Canada / Mexico , Russia or Brazil. 

SA throwing money at sport these days so no surprise they are putting in a bid. 

Egypt and Greece are proper football mad countries but probably can’t host on their own. 

Certainty  an interesting one! 

The two things didn't happen simultaneously, it was the fallout and the accusations of corruption surrounding the Germany bid that made Blatter (who had always supported the South Africa bid) change the rules for voting on future World Cups. At the time South Africa was rejected there was definitely no guarantee they were getting the next one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2022 at 07:49, virginton said:

So in no way did they 'reject' the boring option then, by literally guaranteeing Africa's first ever tournament. And their decision to pick Germany as well was of course entirely correct: the most efficient, entertaining and best-run tournament for competitors and fans of the 21st century.  Contrasting it with the stinking turd that was South Africa with vuvuzuelas everywhere and daily England v Algeria level dud games gives lie to the supposedly exciting choice. 

Thanks for playing anyway.

I literally said they opted for Germany ahead of South Africa. Because... they opted for Germany ahead of South Africa. All the rest of what you've said is just drivel, as usual.

• 2 weeks later...

Just reading this thread back and not quite sure why the South Africa WC is being romanticized and being called an exciting bid, it was utter shite probably the worst WC I can remember and that's before you get into the ridiculous levels of corruption and disappearing money.

As for the next WC it'll be awarded to whoever has the fattest brown envelopes, that's the FIFA way.

Holding the tournament in Africa was clearly a more original and interesting prospect than hosting it in the sort of country that hosts World Cups all the time. The fact that it turned out to be mostly shit doesn't alter that. It was also the right thing to do, a "World" Cup shouldn't be the preserve of countries of the wealthy global North with the odd trip to Latin America. Hopefully Africa gets an Olympics at some point, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Even that wouldn't act as a tie-break, though. If each side won one game by the same score they'd all be tied on points, goals scored, and the head-to-head records would mean nobody could finish bottom.  

Fewest yellow cards is a daft idea, given the state of officiating and everything being called a foul........ and I don't even want to think about drawing lots.

What other options are there? Corners? Most minutes played with a lead? Fewest top-knots?

Or maybe most players wearing all black boots........ yeah, I'm going for that.