World Cup 2026

Disappointed that nashville never made the final list, nice city and stadium which is city center and highly accessible. Probably not much of a football(soccer) following in that part of the country but would have made for a good spectator experience.

Shame that we only got two venues, but Alberta's politicians (led by arrogant twit Jason Kenney) doomed Edmonton's chances with OTT demands to FIFA.

I'll definitely try to get tickets to at least one game.  Toronto, Boston, New York, and Philly are not too long of a drive

Edited by senorsoupe

They'd need to expand a lot of the stadiums to be able to do it themselves. After Sydney (x2), Melbourne (x2), Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide you've not got many other ones big enough. Newcastle maybe. Adding in Auckland and Wellington makes it a lot easier rather than chucking a fortune at white elephants in Wollongong or Cairns or wherever.

5 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Wouldn’t Australia have the infrastructure to host it themselves?

I would've said Australia doesn't have the required spread of cities to host a 48 team World Cup on their own. But now the Qatari shark has been jumped anything goes I suppose...

16 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They'd need to expand a lot of the stadiums to be able to do it themselves. After Sydney (x2), Melbourne (x2), Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide you've not got many other ones big enough. Newcastle maybe. Adding in Auckland and Wellington makes it a lot easier rather than chucking a fortune at white elephants in Wollongong or Cairns or wherever.

Going from WIkipedia, they currently have eight stadiums over 30,000 though granted three are in Melbourne.  Their 2022 World Cup bid had two in Sydney, a new stadium outside Sydney, the MCG, Brisbane, Geelong, a new stadium in Perth, Adelaide, an expanded Townsville, Canberra and Perth.  Since then AAMI Park has been built and there's also a few others that could be used that weren't included in the bid such as whatever the Telstra Dome is called now in Melbourne, The Gabba in Brisbane and the Sydney Cricket Ground.  The Adelaide United ground wasn't included or considered.  Even on the current infrastructure, they'd probably have enough to hold it now but with a bigger World Cup incoming they would need some expansions but they wouldn't be too far away.

5 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

Even if she had got it on target it looks like the keeper had it covered.

Aye, you'd imagine they'd have rehearsed him diving to the opposite side she was shooting at, so she sclaffed it even worse than it first appears.

I would quite like to see a opening ceremony shoot-out between American/Canadian/Mexican celebrities in 2026. I bet Salma Hayek takes a mean pelanty and, even if she doesn't, I'd be happy just watching the run-up.

Was just reading there in regards to other Canadian venues, the Olympic Stadium in Montreal pulled out voluntarily while TD Place in Ottawa and the Mosaic Stadium in Regina, Saskatchewan were both rejected in the first round.  The McMahon Stadium in Calgary was contacted about interest but didn't bid and nor did the Rogers Centre in Toronto or the Saputo Stadium in Montreal.  Would've been nice to have seen Quebec involved.

So again in regards to a solo Canadian bid, two in Toronto, two in Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Ottawa, Regina and Calgary could've been involved in the United 2026 bid.  That's nine grounds so if a couple more were added a Canada solo bid wouldn't have been inconceivable if Hamilton, Quebec City, Winnipeg and maybe one more place had been interested it could very much have happened. 

Edited by Highland Capital

12 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

A shoo in for the 100th anniversary. 

Not that it matters much, but it's probably close to CONMEBOL's "turn" too, considering they seem terrified to give Africa a proper shot, outside of the rehabilitated South.

At this stage, I think they're turning Morocco down just for the lulz.

Most African Nations Cups seem to have logistical issues of some sort, be it stadiums not built on time, a lack of suitable infrastructure or security concerns. Therefore hosting in Africa is always going to be considered a bit more of a risk.

Morocco would likely be fine, but they haven't even hosted the African Nations Cup since 1988 so they've not exactly proven their hosting capability above from a couple of Club World Cups nearly a decade ago.