World Cup 2026

I read the other day that Edmonton is out and Vancouver is in.  Could Canada hold it alone?  Even if not, giving the World Cup to Mexico for a third time is a nonsense.  Get Mexico binned and add Montreal, Calgary and Winnipeg.

1 minute ago, Highland Capital said:

I read the other day that Edmonton is out and Vancouver is in.  Could Canada hold it alone?  Even if not, giving the World Cup to Mexico for a third time is a nonsense.  Get Mexico binned and add Montreal, Calgary and Winnipeg.

FIFA right now:

season 7 simpsons GIF

Just thinking there what could've happened had Canada bid alone.  Going from seeing what stadia they have: BMO Field and Rogers Centre in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Regina (who applied for the United 2026 bid), Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa brings us up to ten.  Maybe add a second in Montreal (the ground CF Montreal play is just under 20,000 so would need to be expanded).  It could probably do with a couple more.  There are grounds elsewhere but are nowhere near big enough - I see the Canada team were meant to play a game in Victoria but in a pretty small stadium.

Would've been nice to see a Canada solo World Cup but oh well.

Probably because 1986 was the first one I remember, and Brazil 1970 being THE iconic team, I'd take them all being played in Mexico.

Hopefully the TV stations put on a fuzzy CRT filter and give the commentary team old muffled microphones that sound like they're transmitting from the moon.

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Probably because 1986 was the first one I remember, and Brazil 1970 being THE iconic team, I'd take them all being played in Mexico.

Hopefully the TV stations put on a fuzzy CRT filter and give the commentary team old muffled microphones that sound like they're transmitting from the moon.

Mexico weren't even meant to have that World Cup - it was given to Colombia but it was cancelled.  I think given Canada have never held it before they should get a bit more of the pie over those who've held it before.

Mexico weren't even meant to have that World Cup - it was given to Colombia but it was cancelled.  I think given Canada have never held it before they should get a bit more of the pie over those who've held it before.

Aye, bit shite that FIFA have never given Colombia another shot. Although, for some reason I'd thought they couldn't host it due to an earthquake, but I'm reading now that they couldn't afford it anyway.

Mid-Eighties cartel Colombia would have been another tremendous venue for FIFA to throw a World Cup. Maybe Escobar could have provided security.

10 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, bit shite that FIFA have never given Colombia another shot. Although, for some reason I'd thought they couldn't host it due to an earthquake, but I'm reading now that they couldn't afford it anyway.

Mid-Eighties cartel Colombia would have been another tremendous venue for FIFA to throw a World Cup. Maybe Escobar could have provided security.

There are plans for a Colombia-Ecuador-Peru joint bid for 2034 I think.  

There are plans for a Colombia-Ecuador-Peru joint bid for 2034 I think.  

Sounds fun. I'd rather they roped Venezuela into that too, as I'm desperate to see the full house of CONMEBOL countries at the finals. But, yeah, if economics fucked Colombia before, Venezuela's out of the question.

I was wondering how big these multi-country tournaments could get before they got too unwieldy, but then I remembered that we just had a European Championships spread across the whole continent  :unsure2:

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Just thinking there what could've happened had Canada bid alone.  Going from seeing what stadia they have: BMO Field and Rogers Centre in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Regina (who applied for the United 2026 bid), Winnipeg, Hamilton and Ottawa brings us up to ten.  Maybe add a second in Montreal (the ground CF Montreal play is just under 20,000 so would need to be expanded).  It could probably do with a couple more.  There are grounds elsewhere but are nowhere near big enough - I see the Canada team were meant to play a game in Victoria but in a pretty small stadium.

Would've been nice to see a Canada solo World Cup but oh well.

CF Montreal's stadium is literally right next to the Olympic Stadium, so I doubt they'd be able to use both in a bid. Quebec City might be a shout as a place that already has a decent sized college stadium, but it would need loads of work, as would plenty of the ones in Canada actually.

42 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

CF Montreal's stadium is literally right next to the Olympic Stadium, so I doubt they'd be able to use both in a bid. Quebec City might be a shout as a place that already has a decent sized college stadium, but it would need loads of work, as would plenty of the ones in Canada actually.

From what I can see, in terms of capacity, Canada has seven stadiums already that are over 30,000 seats and that's not including BMO so they'd have a good starting point.  Ottawa and Hamilton are both 24,000 so again a good starting point but would need some expansion.  I see Moncton, New Brunswick has also held a full Canada international and did have plans for expansion.  It's not inconceivable that they couldn't have found a way to hold it alone and it's a shame to see them as essentially a token add-on to the USA bid.

Another idea that went through my head was do something similar to what happens with the Rugby World Cup sometimes and have one country as the host and then add some grounds outside the country to make up the numbers.  Canada could have added Seattle and Detroit or something.

Edited by Highland Capital

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Australia's got tae be due a go soon. Maybe tack on NZ for a coupla stadiums if needed.

Australia bid for 2022 and have enough infrastructure to hold it tomorrow.  FIFA like taking the World Cup to new areas and given it's being expanded to 48 teams you'd imagine a joint-bid with NZ would get a lot of traction.  From the Wikipedia entry for the stadia planned for 2022, you can imagine they'd keep all the planned ones, scrap the proposed new stadium outside Sydney, add a second stadium in Melbourne and then Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, maybe Hamilton and that great looking indoor stadium in Dunedin.  There's a second ground that could maybe be used in Auckland as well.

Some of the interested bidders are future World Cups are interesting - Kazakhstan and China are after 2030 (could imagine the latter getting it).  Some for 2034 are wild - Nigeria, Zimbabwe and a joint bid between Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.  I've wondered in the past if the United Arab Emirates would ever go for it.  You'd have imagined in the past that the UAE would've been a far more likely Middle Eastern host than Qatar.

1 hour ago, Highland Capital said:

Australia bid for 2022 and have enough infrastructure to hold it tomorrow.  FIFA like taking the World Cup to new areas and given it's being expanded to 48 teams you'd imagine a joint-bid with NZ would get a lot of traction.  From the Wikipedia entry for the stadia planned for 2022, you can imagine they'd keep all the planned ones, scrap the proposed new stadium outside Sydney, add a second stadium in Melbourne and then Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, maybe Hamilton and that great looking indoor stadium in Dunedin.  There's a second ground that could maybe be used in Auckland as well.

Some of the interested bidders are future World Cups are interesting - Kazakhstan and China are after 2030 (could imagine the latter getting it).  Some for 2034 are wild - Nigeria, Zimbabwe and a joint bid between Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.  I've wondered in the past if the United Arab Emirates would ever go for it.  You'd have imagined in the past that the UAE would've been a far more likely Middle Eastern host than Qatar.

A joint bid with Indonesia seems more likely apparently.

Edited by Ray Patterson