Striker Shortage

On 02/10/2022 at 20:36, Savage Henry said:

Talk about damning with faint praise.

Think you're looking too hard for negatives there. A prime Rhodes would absolutely be part of the full squad right now.

Edited by Gordopolis

5 hours ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Karlan Grant

Sam Gallagher

Jordan Rhodes

Karlan Grant hasnt said he wants to play for us. He would have been in a squad by now if he had.

Sam Gallagher switched to England when he was younger. Again, he'd have been in a squad by now if he was interested.

Jordan Rhodes has been pretty average for 5 or 6 years now and isnt the same striker he was. He'll also be 33 next time we play a meaningful game. Ship has sailed on him.

Big Daddy Dykes with QPR's two goals last night, including a late penalty (scored 3/3 since his miss for us). Given how streaky he is, hopefully this sparks a wee run for him.
He needed those goals at club level, I feel. Hopefully that sets him off on a run as you say.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s a shame that Ross Stewart is injured because the Turkey game would be a good opportunity for him. He’s the one striker we have that I think has the talent to force his way into the conversation with Dykes and Adams for a starting spot. 

It’s a shame that Ross Stewart is injured because the Turkey game would be a good opportunity for him. He’s the one striker we have that I think has the talent to force his way into the conversation with Dykes and Adams for a starting spot. 
Seems like he's been injured for ages

• 2 weeks later...

Last night has reiterated to me that this is a big problem because, apart from Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams, we are really short on competent Strikers that can get goals etc. 

I think it's harsh to criticise Jacob Brown when he's had hardly any game time but tbh he didn't show anything last night.

God knows where we can turn to because we've tried: Oli Burke, Oli McBurnie, Lawrence Shankland etc who are not any better so apart from trying to convince players like Sam Gallagher and Karlan Grant to choose us (which is a no no imho) we are probably relying on youngsters stepping up to the plate, again, something that hasn't happened of late, even Hornby at Aberdeen wasn't really a roaring success!

12 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Last night has reiterated to me that this is a big problem because, apart from Lyndon Dykes and Che Adams, we are really short on competent Strikers that can get goals etc. 

I think it's harsh to criticise Jacob Brown when he's had hardly any game time but tbh he didn't show anything last night.

God knows where we can turn to because we've tried: Oli Burke, Oli McBurnie, Lawrence Shankland etc who are not any better so apart from trying to convince players like Sam Gallagher and Karlan Grant to choose us (which is a no no imho) we are probably relying on youngsters stepping up to the plate, again, something that hasn't happened of late, even Hornby at Aberdeen wasn't really a roaring success!

I can't say I've seen anything to suggest the two underlined are markedly better than the others you list. Neither will make a substantial difference to our forward talent. Neither is anywhere near the level of Adams who is our only top level striker. To be perfectly honest he is a slightly below average Premier League forward and even then looks night and day compared to the rest of the list, including (and I love the guy) Dykes.

We have to hope that one of our youth players is the real deal and can break through to be a top level forward in the Prem or another top 5 league. Until then we will keep using McGinn as a kind of second striker I would think.

Ross Stewart and Kevin Nisbet should be back from injury after the break and in contention for 3rd choice striker. Stewart looked good at Championship level prior to his injury and if he continues that form he's out of contract in the summer so could either get a decent move or worst case scenario he signs a new deal with Sunderland and plays week in week out in the Championship.

When we only play 1 of them most of the time anyway I'm not really sure it's much of a concern.

Conway I thought looked fine at u21 level last night but nowhere near ready for the first team and then behind him we're probably looking at Rory Wilson at Aston Villa.