Striker Shortage

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Mildly excited that we seem to be on the verge of fast tracking 20 yr old Tommy Conway into the senior squad for the upcoming NL triple header. I know it's due to necessity, but it feels quite a progressive move, going for a promising youth as opposed to an older player "who can do a job".

I'll admit though that I don't know much about him or his style of play (Couldn't find a good compilation vid on YouTube either). Can anyone summarise?

P.S. Shankland must feel pretty low about being overlooked, even as a backup.

From what I have seen from his goals, highlights and my one Bristol City game this season, I can offer this:

He is a nuisance to defenders, doesn't give them a moment. Poacher type striker who won't take time in the box for extra touches or letting ball bounce. Sharp movement in the box. Good with his head and the kind of striker to thrive off good service from out wide. Not dissimilar to a prime Jordan Rhodes in a way. Confident lad.

From what I have seen from his goals, highlights and my one Bristol City game this season, I can offer this:
He is a nuisance to defenders, doesn't give them a moment. Poacher type striker who won't take time in the box for extra touches or letting ball bounce. Sharp movement in the box. Good with his head and the kind of striker to thrive off good service from out wide. Not dissimilar to a prime Jordan Rhodes in a way. Confident lad.
Cheers. The way he has emerged as an option so quickly did make me think of Rhodes. Hope - if he turns out to be decent - he is given a fair crack at playing for us. Never liked the way we managed to underutilize poachers like Rhodes and Boyd (noted that Boyd contributed largely to his underwhelming cap record).

3 weeks ago I'd have expected a Shankland call up. Unfortunately Hearts, and him, both hit poor form at a bad time.

Then again, as others have said, Scotland has a terrible record of calling up in-form strikers, Jordan Rhodes being the most egregious example.

I do think Shankland is a good option as he is apparently succeeding at playing up top on his own, which has been a criticism of his game in the past.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
2 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Cheers. The way he has emerged as an option so quickly did make me think of Rhodes. Hope - if he turns out to be decent - he is given a fair crack at playing for us. Never liked the way we managed to underutilize poachers like Rhodes and Boyd (noted that Boyd contributed largely to his underwhelming cap record).

The other thing worth noting is that for a 20 year old lad, he is very sure of himself, bit of a swagger and a confidence to him. When he is in interviews and doing press stuff, he isn't some camera shy awkward kid, he has a presence about him. I like that (I think)

I think what we’ve learned is that Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes are both perfectly viable options for us, just not on the pitch at the same time.

Dykes to chase goals from the bench and start in games against lesser opponents where he can turn half chances into goals. He’s our most prolific forward but we can’t really afford him in from the start in midfield battle games. Almost like a modern Kris Boyd.

Adams to hold the ball up for midfield runners and tire out defenders.

Stewart will be involved again if he remains prolific for Sunderland when back from injury.

None of them are a Schick or a Yaremchuk or a Mitrovic and none are even close to being a Haaland, but I think we can compete with those types of nations and achieve success without having one elite centre forward. Those three are all decent options and all have a role to play going forward. 

Edited by Donathan

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

I think what we’ve learned is that Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes are both perfectly viable options for us, just not on the pitch at the same time.

I'd say it's horses for courses and not a one size fits all solution. They worked well as a pair against England and away in Austria so they have proven they can be on the pitch at the same time and be effective. 

3 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I'd say it's horses for courses and not a one size fits all solution. They worked well as a pair against England and away in Austria so they have proven they can be on the pitch at the same time and be effective. 

The problem with them both together has been when Dykes has had balls shelled at him rather than us actually playing football.  That's clarke getting the tactics wrong when it's happened.

9 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

The problem with them both together has been when Dykes has had balls shelled at him rather than us actually playing football.  That's clarke getting the tactics wrong when it's happened.

Shame you don't have his phone number or you could have passed your tactical advice to him and I'm sure he would have appreciated that.

Playing two front men leaves us a man short in midfield. Playing two front men and three at the back leaves us two short in the midfield, especially without Tierney who covers every blade of grass.

There’s a reason 3-5-2 was an utter disaster against Ukraine. It worked at Wembley and in Vienna because Tierney was in the side to support the midfield and we were the underdogs both times and expected to play a counter attacking game. 

7 hours ago, 2426255 said:

Shame you don't have his phone number or you could have passed your tactical advice to him and I'm sure he would have appreciated that.

Aye, cool mate.  I'd imagine he's 100% happy we did that against Croatia and Ukraine given its success, so what do I know.

You really are a fud

29 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Aye, cool mate.  I'd imagine he's 100% happy we did that against Croatia and Ukraine given its success, so what do I know.

You really are a fud

You should have become a football manager. Missed your calling in life.

Che Adams reminds me a lot of Kenny Miller as a player. His work rate dropping down into midfield to get the ball, holding it up for runners and beating defenders for speed in behind is the reason why multiple managers preferred Miller over his peers James McFadden and Kris Boyd, and I think that’s exactly why we are seeing Adams preferred to the more prolific Lyndon Dykes.

Adams is pretty much the same height as Miller. Tall enough to win headers but not a “target man” as such. His 1-in-4 goal rate for Scotland is very similar to Miller’s. 

Che Adams reminds me a lot of Kenny Miller as a player. His work rate dropping down into midfield to get the ball, holding it up for runners and beating defenders for speed in behind is the reason why multiple managers preferred Miller over his peers James McFadden and Kris Boyd, and I think that’s exactly why we are seeing Adams preferred to the more prolific Lyndon Dykes.

Adams is pretty much the same height as Miller. Tall enough to win headers but not a “target man” as such. His 1-in-4 goal rate for Scotland is very similar to Miller’s. 
There are similarities in there, but Adams is twice the player Miller was. His touch and control are first rate. Just wish he was a bit more clinical and selfish tho.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:
4 hours ago, Donathan said:

There are similarities in there, but Adams is twice the player Miller was. His touch and control are first rate. Just wish he was a bit more clinical and selfish tho.

I think this isn't an entirely fair comparison. Miller developed a much more balanced game as he got older, but Adams seems the more natural striker, whereas I always felt Miller did most of his best work outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2022 at 16:53, DavidMcG said:

Talk about damning with faint praise.