Striker Shortage

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Probably wouldn't have created the chance tho'. IIRC it was a double sub with Fletcher and Iwelumo coming on and they linked up well as sorta, joint target men, and had Norway rattled until Iwelumo missed that sitter. Iwelumo was also on a really good scoring streak at the time as well

He was, think he had 15+ for wolves that year in championship but Boyd was getting that every season for 6/7 years. Think he had over 30 that season. Only 18 caps (7 goals) is poor when we were always crying out for goals.

Edited by PrestersKTID

The last decent striker Scotland produced was Ally McCoist 
Our inability to produce strikers is absolutly embarrassing 
It's been said before, but Miller's record stands close to McCoist's, and during our leanest years too (plus playing without a partner). Not saying he was a better striker, but he was pretty decent.

Had McFadden's career not disintegrated due to injury, I reckon they would have worked together for a few more years and we could have had the pair with 20+ goals each - which again would be decent (not amazing, just respectable at international level).

13 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

It's been said before, but Miller's record stands close to McCoist's, and during our leanest years too (plus playing without a partner). Not saying he was a better striker, but he was pretty decent.

Had McFadden's career not disintegrated due to injury, I reckon they would have worked together for a few more years and we could have had the pair with 20+ goals each - which again would be decent (not amazing, just respectable at international level).

Miller couldn't lace McCoists boots 

22 minutes ago, Binos said:

Miller couldn't lace McCoists boots 

True but he still was a very effective striker for Scotland. You don’t have to be top class to score at international level tbh, the likes of Healy and Lafferty for NI being examples.

10 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Embarrassing to who exactly?

Every Scotland fan and Scottish football in general 

Look at the output of players from,  for instance,  Portugal over the same period 

1 hour ago, Binos said:

Every Scotland fan and Scottish football in general 

Look at the output of players from,  for instance,  Portugal over the same period 

Haha, be embarrassed if you want but I can't be embarrassed over something I have no control over.

Portugal has twice our population of course, and a notorious issue with producing good centre forwards (something Ronaldo became later in his career.)

Helder Postiga had 71 caps for them and the dreadful Eder scored their winner in the Euros. Poor example to choose.

I expect you will have a lot more to be embarrassed about personally, don't worry about the things you can't control.

Not having the revisionist stuff about Boyd.

It's been said before that he was just a flat track bully for Rangers and wasn't trusted against decent teams.

Also during that Norway game we were just pumping balls up to Faddy to compete with their massive CH (the 2m tall chap at Fulham whose name I forget) so we needed a physical striker (certainly not KB) or one with touch and mobility (defo not KB). Iwelumo and Fletcher were absolutely the right picks. Iwelumo scores that 99 times out if 100. It can happen to anyone.

We often played one up top, which is why Rhodes (most of whose goals were penalties iirc) wasn't picked.

Boyd's attitude was a disgrace and is, so far, the only Scotland player I've ever booed.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Haha, be embarrassed if you want but I can't be embarrassed over something I have no control over.

Portugal has twice our population of course, and a notorious issue with producing good centre forwards (something Ronaldo became later in his career.)

Helder Postiga had 71 caps for them and the dreadful Eder scored their winner in the Euros. Poor example to choose.

I expect you will have a lot more to be embarrassed about personally, don't worry about the things you can't control.

Yes it has twice the population 

So we should have produced half of the numbers of quality players 

But we haven't 

In fact we haven't produced a striker of any note in twenty/thirty years!

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

We used to produce these players and everyone marvelled at our output 

Now we create a few full backs,  a few hard working midfielders

No creative players,  no goal scorers 

Things we used to be famed for 

How else can modern day youth development be described in this country than embarrassing

We often played one up top, which is why Rhodes (most of whose goals were penalties iirc) wasn't picked.

Not sure what you mean by this? All three of Rhodes' Scotland goals were from open play.
At club level I think he was a regular penalty taker, but they didn't account for an abnormal portion of his domestic goal haul (certainly no more than any other penalty taking CF).

16 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Not sure what you mean by this? All three of Rhodes' Scotland goals were from open play.
At club level I think he was a regular penalty taker, but they didn't account for an abnormal portion of his domestic goal haul (certainly no more than any other penalty taking CF).

I wasn't talking about his Scotland goals, but I remember at the time there were cries to have him included when he was scoring goals (in a front two) that around half, possibly more, were pelanties.

Either way, I'm still not sure about him. On the one hand, he looked sharp when he came on for us against (I think) Macedonia and nearly scored, on the other hand he wasn't particularly useful as a hold-up man/channel runner which is what Levein preferred at the time. 

He did seem to acquire a "king ower the watter" status the more he didn't play.

I wasn't talking about his Scotland goals, but I remember at the time there were cries to have him included when he was scoring goals (in a front two) that around half, possibly more, were pelanties.
Either way, I'm still not sure about him. On the one hand, he looked sharp when he came on for us against (I think) Macedonia and nearly scored, on the other hand he wasn't particularly useful as a hold-up man/channel runner which is what Levein preferred at the time. 
He did seem to acquire a "king ower the watter" status the more he didn't play.
Agree on all of this apart from the pelanties - half or more of his goals from the pelanty spot doesn't sound right at all.
Off to check...

Update: yeah, only 16 of his 222 career goals to date have been pens, with 4 or 5 a season thru those golden years of 2012-2016: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jordan-rhodes/elfmetertore/spieler/48950

Consider yourself *very* lucky not to get a red dot for getting Scotland wrong [emoji18]