Striker Shortage

3 minutes ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Anderson, Doak, Wilson will follow Gilmour for senior squad to English Premiers League

They might ready in senior squad at English Premier League

I don't think you have any evidence that they will.Plenty off others have failed U23 football at Liverpool who are Scottish

Absolutely none off them been signed for first team the reality is Anderson will get loaned,as for other two there far to young for first team football 

Easy to criticise 'lack of talent' for strikers in this case or any other position.

Look across British football - whether the EPL or SPL, teams are still importing foreign players than developing their own - in Scotland we dont even see much of teams buying or taking youngsters from lower league clubs any more.

The low quantity of indigenous players at club sides is ultimately the issue and leave whoever the manager is a limited stock to pick from.

15 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Easy to criticise 'lack of talent' for strikers in this case or any other position.

Look across British football - whether the EPL or SPL, teams are still importing foreign players than developing their own - in Scotland we dont even see much of teams buying or taking youngsters from lower league clubs any more.

The low quantity of indigenous players at club sides is ultimately the issue and leave whoever the manager is a limited stock to pick from.

Not to worry - there are three Premiership squads in the Lowland League this season, and some of their players are Scots.

2 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Are there any 10 goal a season EFL Championship strikers with a Scottish granny? 

That’s our next hope.

If that's the criteria then it would make Chris Martin pretty much our first choice striker based on last season.

I think it's fairly stark that the top attacking prospects I am aware of, certainly in terms of hype, are all 16 (Rory Wilson, Rory MacLeod, Ben Doak). We don't seem to have any breaking through in the 19-21 age bracket that look on the verge of something special. The closest we have is probably Mebude at City (18), but he is about a million miles from the City first team.

Depressing really, in 2027 we might still be having the same conversation as we hope one of the aforementioned 16 year olds can start to break into senior football.

I think it's fairly stark that the top attacking prospects I am aware of, certainly in terms of hype, are all 16 (Rory Wilson, Rory MacLeod, Ben Doak). We don't seem to have any breaking through in the 19-21 age bracket that look on the verge of something special. The closest we have is probably Mebude at City (18), but he is about a million miles from the City first team.
Depressing really, in 2027 we might still be having the same conversation as we hope one of the aforementioned 16 year olds can start to break into senior football.

Gilmour, Hickey and Patterson are all in the 19-21 age bracket. Calvin Ramsey too, who will most likely be going to Liverpool to be part of the first team squad.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Gilmour, Hickey and Patterson are all in the 19-21 age bracket. Calvin Ramsey too, who will most likely be going to Liverpool to be part of the first team squad.

Sure, but this thread is about strikers. All those I have mentioned are either strikers or similar (Doaks and Mebude more inside forwards I believe). That is the gap we have, strikers/attackers in the age bracket of all those you mention.

4 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Is Project Brave still on the go? That’ll surely produce some decent forwards. Job done.

Another part of the ongoing scheme to hand the keys to Celtgers and hope they have Scottish football's best interests at heart.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

There's been a pattern of Scottish managers failing to pick Scottish in form strikers.

Kris Boyd only got 18 caps and there's a high probability he'd have scored in that norway game if he played instead of Iwelumo. Might have kept him around longer. 

Jordan Rhodes (14), Mccormack (13) , Griffiths (22) all had crazy scoring sprees at club level and all had bitty international runs. 2 of the top 5 English championship strikers of all time there. 

Could argue a lot of these guys were goalscorers only and didn't give enough to the team elsewhere and that's why we always called up the likes of Miller, and now Dykes and adams, guys who will put a serious shift in but won't get the goal return.

I think adams in particular will be around for a while as first choice striker but be interesting to see if Stewart does well with the step up to championship.

5 minutes ago, PrestersKTID said:

There's been a pattern of Scottish managers failing to pick Scottish in form strikers.

Kris Boyd only got 18 caps and there's a high probability he'd have scored in that norway game if he played instead of Iwelumo. Might have kept him around longer. 

Probably wouldn't have created the chance tho'. IIRC it was a double sub with Fletcher and Iwelumo coming on and they linked up well as sorta, joint target men, and had Norway rattled until Iwelumo missed that sitter. Iwelumo was also on a really good scoring streak at the time as well