Dominic Hyam (Coventry)

Michael Rose (Coventry)

Kerr Smith (Aston Villa)

Ross Graham (Dundee Utd)

Charlie McArthur (Kilmarnock)

None off them are getting picked apart from a few young ones for u21 squad 

Kerr Smith is 17 miles to go before he even gets a look in at u21 level 

Edited by General dissaray

Again it's a shame Harry Souttar chose australia given he's 6 foot 5. He'd be a bit more commanding than Hanley. 

I'm not sure what or who is causing it. I don't think Hanley has a clue how to play as a 3, but that goes for the rest of them too.

31 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

they will follow Gilmour for senior squad to English Premiers League

They might ready in senior squad at English Premier League and Championship

3 minutes ago, Craigieboy86 said:

they will follow Gilmour for senior squad to English Premiers League

They might ready in senior squad at English Premier League and Championship

Nope most aren't good enough and there isn't for certainly that every 16 and 17 year olds are going to make it in the English Premiership just cos Billy Gilmour has had a loan

Again most Scottish boys at U23 level at Liverpool fail one is the St Johnstone left back Tony Gallacher 

Edited by General dissaray

14 minutes ago, red23 said:

I don't think Hanley has a clue how to play as a 3, but that goes for the rest of them too.

Probably due to the fact at club level most play 4 at the back. Throw into the mix the insistence of putting McT into the defence somewhere when he is clearly not a defender nor thinks like one, we are creating our own problems at times.

Opposition look at weaknesses - whether that be an inexperienced RB with player out of position inside him or a left side with similar imbalance. The inability to pick our strongest back line does not help for continuity only to then mix and match differing personnel while maintaining the formation they are not familiar enough with.

We all know why we have 5 so as to accommodate both KT & AR, but when one is missing we need to revert to 4.

It does look like Souttar is the best defender, with McKenna and Cooper closely behind. For everything Hanley was in 2021, his decision making this month has been alarmingly bad. 

Hendry looked particularly poor yesterday, but we might write that off as being played out of position. Left of a back three must be quite alien. Perhaps a bit more extreme, but we’ve seen how Robertson can’t play right back.

My first choice back three would be a combination of Tierney, Souttar, Cooper, and McKenna. I have no issue at all in Hanley and Hendry being called up, and hopefully next season Hendry continues to improve and Hanley regains his composure. Beyond that, perhaps Halkett may get a chance but the options elsewhere don’t yet look great.

Hickey is now surely Robertson’s understudy, with Ralston being back up to Patterson (assuming form, fitness, and game time). Having Taylor and O’Donnell as capable stand ins is useful, as is having Tierney, and McT’s flexibility (even if ideally it’s not used).

The next great hopes are presumably Doig and Ramsey, though Ashby may get Premier League time this season.

It would be nice if some our resources weren’t all in the full back area…

3 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Im sure you were actually tipping Hyam previously…

You were also suggesting Kal Naismith as a realistic shout.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

15 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Previously for back up for a friendly but we are covered the center backs we are using are the center backs we will be seeing for the foreseeable future 

Kal Naismith just joined Bristol City on £20 000 a week not bad at all for him his season at Luton has obviously benefited him financially 

16 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

It does look like Souttar is the best defender, with McKenna and Cooper closely behind. For everything Hanley was in 2021, his decision making this month has been alarmingly bad. 

Hendry looked particularly poor yesterday, but we might write that off as being played out of position. Left of a back three must be quite alien. Perhaps a bit more extreme, but we’ve seen how Robertson can’t play right back.

My first choice back three would be a combination of Tierney, Souttar, Cooper, and McKenna. I have no issue at all in Hanley and Hendry being called up, and hopefully next season Hendry continues to improve and Hanley regains his composure. Beyond that, perhaps Halkett may get a chance but the options elsewhere don’t yet look great.

Hickey is now surely Robertson’s understudy, with Ralston being back up to Patterson (assuming form, fitness, and game time). Having Taylor and O’Donnell as capable stand ins is useful, as is having Tierney, and McT’s flexibility (even if ideally it’s not used).

The next great hopes are presumably Doig and Ramsey, though Ashby may get Premier League time this season.

It would be nice if some our resources weren’t all in the full back area…

Doig possibly joining Bolonga when Hickey joins Arsenal hopefully tjat happens could be a great move for all concerned 

6 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Kal Naismith just joined Bristol City on £20 000 a week not bad at all for him his season at Luton has obviously benefited him financially 

Hold on, no one told me he was getting 20 grand PER WEEK!? He must be good enough then, get him capped!

On 15/06/2022 at 23:30, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Hendry looked particularly poor yesterday, but we might write that off as being played out of position. Left of a back three must be quite alien.

I re-watched his 1st half. I thought he had a good performance overall. Very good with the ball, assisting our left sided attacks although a little bit of a mixed night defensively - not terrible, some good and some bad. His performance with the ball was the closest I've seen one of our players replacing the Kieran Tierney role going forwards and I'd have no issue if he were asked to play the same role again in the future if needed.

Edited by 2426255

9 hours ago, 2426255 said:

I re-watched his 1st half. I thought he had a good performance overall. Very good with the ball, assisting our left sided attacks although a little bit of a mixed night defensively - not terrible, some good and some bad. His performance with the ball was the closest I've seen one of our players replacing the Kieran Tierney role going forwards and I'd have no issue if he were asked to play the same role again in the future if needed.

Perhaps, I was harsh, but I did sense his positioning was pretty wayward on a number of occasions. Similarly, Hanley missed or struggled with some hit-and-hope long balls.  For a team that lumped the ball long and ran at us, we seemed very vulnerable to fairly primitive tactics.

I'm prepared to write off the defensive frailties on the basis of 1) it was makeshift 2) it's Armenia away, and it happens 3) everyone's knackered, and 4) defending must be difficult when you're caught between having all the ball, and being countered on quickly

On 15/06/2022 at 23:56, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I for one am keen to see a back 3 of Naismith, Hyam and the mighty Elliot Philadelphia drive us forward in the future.

There's been lots of dissatisfaction surrounding our back three. A consensus seems to be building amongst fans and media that we need to change the personnel and/or change to a back four. I don't think the last international window in combination with our competitive fixtures in 2021 suggest that is a direction we will head.

image.thumb.png.3af86aba23390d73c7abe2477e43264d.png 

The three players above have been central to our team for a continued period of time. There isn't any evidence that John Souttar is ahead of Jack Hendry in the pecking order as a cover option. Things could change between now and September, but I don't imagine they will. I think Kieran Tierney, Grant Hanley and Scott McTominay will all start if available against Ukraine. 

On 26/06/2022 at 02:49, accies1874 said:

Jamie Hamilton was wearing a PSG trackie today. Might be worth keeping an eye on imo emoji102.png

Is he out of contract? I remember a bit of chat about some decent clubs at the start of the year but haven't heard anything since.