September 2022 Scotland squad

13 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Also, more often than not we don’t play three CBs at all. We play one CB, an out of position LB and an out of position CM. 

Irrelevant and childish. We play with three CBs, regardless of if two of them often play a different role for their clubs.

Also, if 3 at the back is to accommodate Tierney and Robertson, why do we still play it when one of them is missing?

We play that way because we have mediocre CBs and that's the best way to protect them.

The bottom line is that there was more than one reason that contributed to the change of system in 2020. It's not just about getting our best players into the team which is clearly also a primary part of the rationale. So it's not nonsense. @Donathan

Maybe the reason I went to a back to a three was to make us more solid initially as much as it was about getting Kieran and Andy Robertson in the same team. The back three has worked all right for us. It was about finding a way that could give us a platform in games and allow us to express our talent.

Steve Clarke

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/steve-clarke-fires-back-craig-27172542

I don't know how many times I have to repeat the same things which is why I keep a list of quotes. 😅

Edited by 2426255

In the Jake Humphrey podcast, Clarke said something like he knew he needed to go with a three after Russia away. We played two CBs in the next three games but we really didn't have any options then. Devlin and Findlay started one game, Gallagher and McKenna the other two but I'm not sure about the bench options.

It's a bit 2018 to say it's just to fit in Robertson and Tierney but having both makes it work much, much better.

Just now, 2426255 said:

The relentless clamor for a change to 4atb is tedious. It's always a stick dragged out before games.

"Crossing my fingers we see a back-4 but old Stevie will probably stick to his defensive 5 at the back system" 😄

I actually like the back three when Tierney and Robertson are both available and on form but in the absence of the latter, I think we need to go to a “you score 4, we score 5” approach for these games.

6 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I actually like the back three when Tierney and Robertson are both available and on form but in the absence of the latter, I think we need to go to a “you score 4, we score 5” approach for these games.

Our strikers aren’t good enough for that though. Part of the problem is that we still lack goals/ability to be clinical enough. 

41 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

What on earth would possess you to think this squad of players could score 5 against any sort of decent team? Our attacking players aren't dynamic enough for that to be realistic prospect.

It’s a euphemism for playing attacking football. I don’t actually think we are going to win 5-4.

14 hours ago, General dissaray said:

Cos he is a hammer thrower that can't pass or bring the ball out from the back

And he only got 15 games for them last year hardly Scotland material 

It would be a backwards step at least someone like Porteous is consistent and plays every week love or loath him

Can see him one day playing abroad in Italy maybe couldn't ever imagine Lindsay playing there 

A sensible post.

Who are you and what have you done with @General dissaray?

4 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Said it many times before if McTominay cant get into the Scotland midfield he should be benched. The idea that we persist with formations just to shoe-horn him in because or Man Utd #Barclays doesnt help us.

The very obvious problem when we play a 'real' CB at right side of defence is that we become very defensive.  We don't need three CBs when in possession, and that's where Tierney and McTominay make a big difference.  They drive forward, break the lines and become auxiliary midfielders.

Tierney's ability to drive out may or may not be hampered by a missing Robertson, but McTominay with Patterson does offer a very effective balance.

And we don't persist with formations just to fit in McTominay.  In an ideal world, Souttar would be at RCB but he's injured.  Therefore it's either McTominay or Hendry.

We could switch to 4atb, but that's a fairly academic discussion if SC is wedded to the current arrangement. 

Edit: I also agree with the other sentiments - we simply don't have strong CBs.  Even Shane Duffy is a level above what we have.  3atb is a decent balance, so long as we don't end up as a back 5 - which happened against Ukraine...

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

12 hours ago, Donathan said:

we know in the past Clarke has brought unofficial squad members along to train with the squad, acclimate them into the camp and be readily available as emergency cover, so maybe that's happening again this time.

I'm probably just suffering from brain fog, but I can't remember Clarke doing this? I remember it being done with previous managers but not SC. 

What on earth would possess you to think this squad of players could score 5 against any sort of decent team? Our attacking players aren't dynamic enough for that to be realistic prospect.
Couldn't agree more, as much as I'd like to disagree and say we're well capable of rattling in 5+ on command. We're generally poor at capitalising on goalscoring opportunities in all but minnow matches. When did we last score more than 3 vs a non San Marino type team? Albania maybe? But then they're just a level above minnow.

Edit: just saw @Donathon 's reply that he was just using a figure of speech. Fair dos. Edited by Gordopolis

52 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Couldn't agree more, as much as I'd like to disagree and say we're well capable of rattling in 5+ on command. We're generally poor at capitalising on goalscoring opportunities in all but minnow matches. When did we last score more than 3 vs a non San Marino type team? Albania maybe? But then they're just a level above minnow.

Edit: just saw @Donathon 's reply that he was just using a figure of speech. Fair dos.

Bulgaria maybe in Kirin cup?

7 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm probably just suffering from brain fog, but I can't remember Clarke doing this? I remember it being done with previous managers but not SC. 

During the summer when David Marshall abruptly retired in the middle of the international break, Robby McCrorie was called up, but he was actually already with the squad as he’d been brought along as an unofficial member. 

Taylor was very very good last night for Celtic, would imagine he will get the LWB position. Would keep Mctominay and Tierney either side of Hanley.

Only real dilemmas are does he go with two out and out strikers with Dykes and Adams or does a Fraser or Christie play in behind Adams.

McGregor, Gilmour deeper with McGinn in front.

55 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Taylor was very very good last night for Celtic, would imagine he will get the LWB position. Would keep Mctominay and Tierney either side of Hanley.

Only real dilemmas are does he go with two out and out strikers with Dykes and Adams or does a Fraser or Christie play in behind Adams.

McGregor, Gilmour deeper with McGinn in front.

Yea i agree. whenever i've saw Taylor this season I've been impressed. Ange seems to have brought him on a lot. For me - Gordon/ Mctominay,hanley,Tierney / Paterson,Gilmour,Mcgregor,Taylor / Mcginn, Fraser / Adams. 

Only concern is lack of minutes for a few. I'm sure Clarke will asses this in the days leading up. Obviously all naturally fit guys but match fitness is a totally different thing.