September 2022 Scotland squad

13 hours ago, albagubrath said:

I would be surprised if even 1 of these got called up. It will be something like

Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly/Clark

Cooper, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Ralston, Taylor, Porteous

Armstrong, Ferguson, Gilmour, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Turnbull, Christie, Campbell, McLean

Adams, Brown, Dykes, Shankland, Fraser

Thats a 28 man squad, probably 1 more midfielder to be added. Clarke picks from a settled group, I wouldn’t expect much change.

I thought it was a larger squad being announced for some reason so fairly happy with my guesses! Porteous for Cooper maybe a slight surprise, is Cooper injured? I thought Shankland would get in as 4th forward but Christie has been included there instead which, on checking, he has in the past too. Campbell and Ferguson ware two of the least experienced midfielders in the squad and Ferguson has yet to establish himself in Italy.

I'd say it's a good squad though, not much to really argue about.

Pretty chuffed with that squad. Good to see proven quality coming back in (Fraser), and the squad otherwise remaining stable (glossing over Porteus).

That's one of the most reassuring things about Clarke - no chopping and changing willy nilly. I've long reckoned that was the only way we were ever going to develop a seasoned squad with something of a club mentality.

He's the first manager to do it this consistently since Craig Brown (tho you could argue Smith and McLeish 1 had short spells of good squad cohesion and consistency).

Then again, a run of poor results could change that narrative into the likes of "Dad's Army", "Clarke's too loyal, get the kids in" and all that gubbins.

If Robertson being out doesn’t push Clarke to play a back four then I don’t know what to say. The back three failed in June against both of our opponents this month.

We have no time to implement a completely new formation. We’ve spent two years working on the back 3/5 and we probably have one training session before the Ukraine game where all players will be fully available given that a good few of them are playing on Sunday.

We have no time to implement a completely new formation. We’ve spent two years working on the back 3/5 and we probably have one training session before the Ukraine game where all players will be fully available given that a good few of them are playing on Sunday.

There's also the fact that a back four probably means Tierney at LB with two centre-backs next to him, rather than Tierney at LCB with two centre-backs next to him. There's more of an argument for the switch with Tierney out than there is with Robertson out. At least the likes of Taylor and Hickey are like-for-like swaps for Robertson positionally, even if they're not as good.

21 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

From what I've seen so far this season, Porteous has been absolutrely dreadful for Hibs.

Aside from him, the squad actually looks ok to me.

He’s been dreadful all season. Surprised he’s called up. 

48 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Then again, a run of poor results could change that narrative into the likes of "Dad's Army", "Clarke's too loyal, get the kids in" and all that gubbins.

Absolutely agree that consistency is key with us. Cant see that particular narrative being a thing though; Hanley is the oldest outfielder at 30.

1 hour ago, lubo_blaha said:

I don't subscribe particularly to formations and won't labor that point but if you want to look at it that way then there is a building picture that Steve Clarke will only go to a back-4 if he feels the risk is worth the reward.

The only occasions I recall us using a back-4 since 2019 was when our hand was forced into taking more risks:

• Second half in Tel Aviv against Israel when we were losing 0-1.
  • After 55 minutes In Glasgow against Ukraine when we were losing 0-2.
  • After 58 minutes in Dublin against Ireland when we were losing 0-3.

It's not heaps of evidence, but it's a trend. I'm not saying we won't see it, but the likelihood is if we do see it we will be chasing the game.

There is enough flexibility within the players to adapt in game in any case so (a) I don't think the starting shape is too important and (b) if we need to start like that or make adjustments in that regard I wouldn't see it as an issue.

Edited by 2426255

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Has Porteous really been that bad? genuine question as I haven't seen one HIbs game.

Its unlikely he will play , Mctominay or Hendry at RCB, Hanley in the middle and McKenna or TIerney at LCB means he will very much be back up. 

Was absolutely dreadful against St Mirren and in the league cup games, but he's played well in all the other league games imo. 

His ball retention hasn't been great but I think Johnson has been telling him to take more risks with his passing. 

The red card that got us the win against Killie came from a lovely ball he played in over the top to Boyle. 

13 minutes ago, F_T_Y said:

Utterly uninspiring, much like the manager.

Is Jacob brown scoring goals for fun that we don't know about.

No Barrie McKay either, a player that will actually take players on and pick out a pass.

Brown has scored the same number of goals as McKay this season (2), at arguably a better level.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Has Porteous really been that bad? genuine question as I haven't seen one HIbs game.

Its unlikely he will play , Mctominay or Hendry at RCB, Hanley in the middle and McKenna or TIerney at LCB means he will very much be back up. 

He’s not been like breathtakingly bad but there has been a drop off compared to normal, possibly due to uncertainty with his contract expiring in the summer.

He still does his usual good passing out of defence and riling up opposition and fans which some like and some don’t but usually we’d get a bombscare conceding of possession or losing his man once every 10-15 games but it’s been happening more often this season.

His best game so far this season was on Saturday against Kilmarnock in fairness to him.

As you say, it’s unlikely he’ll play, but a bunch of idiots on Twitter crying over who our 9th choice defender will be always entertaining.

20 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

Absolutely no suprises in the Scotland squad,don't know if that is a good or a bad thing

On one hand it just shows how difficult it is to get into squad

On another hand maybe he is being a bit to loyal to a few older heads that might be past there best no extermination in midfield when there is good options

You're talking about Allan Campbell, aren't you.......