September 2022 Scotland squad

I’d like to see a back four tried as well. It’d put Tierney at LB and allow McTominay into midfield. I think it’d be good to see a three of McT, Gilmour and McGregor, followed by two of McGinn, Christie, Armstrong or Fraser and then Adams up front.

Also think it’s about time Morgan and Gauld got given a shout now that travelling from the states has eased up.

I think

Final prediction:

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon, John McLaughlin and Liam Kelly 

Central Defenders: Kieran Tierney, Grant Hanley, Scott McKenna, Jack Hendry, Murray Wallace and Declan Gallager 

Wing Backs: Matt Targett, Nathan Patterson, Aaron Hickey and Josh Doig

Central Midfielders: Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Billy Gilmour, Liam Henderson and Elliot Anderson

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers: John McGinn, Barrie McKay, Allan Forrest, Lewis Morgan, Ryan Gauld and Ewan Henderson 

Forwards: Oliver McBurnie, Che Adam, Oliver Burke, Lyndon Dykes, Jacob Brown 

scotland squad of 29 senior players

Edited by Craigieboy86

14 minutes ago, Craigieboy86 said:

Murray Wallace

Declan Gallager 

Matt Targett

Josh Doig

Liam Henderson

Elliot Anderson

Barrie McKay

Allan Forrest

Lewis Morgan

Ryan Gauld

Ewan Henderson 

Oliver McBurnie

Oliver Burke

I would be surprised if even 1 of these got called up. It will be something like

Gordon, McLaughlin, Kelly/Clark

Cooper, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Ralston, Taylor

Armstrong, Ferguson, Gilmour, Jack, McGinn, McGregor, McTominay, Turnbull, Christie, Campbell, McLean

Adams, Brown, Dykes, Shankland, Fraser

Thats a 28 man squad, probably 1 more midfielder to be added. Clarke picks from a settled group, I wouldn’t expect much change.

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

The back three is preferred mainly because it allows us to play Robertson and Tierney together. In a situation where one of them is unavailable, that doesn’t necessarily mean we can’t play a back three, but it means we don’t necessarily need to play a back three. Given Ukraine completely dominated the midfield battle at Hampden in June, I really think putting extra bodies in the middle of the park will be useful next week.

Gordon

Patterson-Hanley-McKenna-Tierney

McTominay-McGregor

Armstrong-McGinn-Christie

Adams

I really rate this. I'm not that crazy about the CB pairing, but we have slim pickings there for this game. 

I love a 4-5-1 and would be excited by this. I would stick Gilmour in there if he proves fit enough, as McGinn has been pish of late.

I just know Clarke will go for a 3-5-2, but if he does it'll be the same result as last time.

I really rate this. I'm not that crazy about the CB pairing, but we have slim pickings there for this game. 
I love a 4-5-1 and would be excited by this. I would stick Gilmour in there if he proves fit enough, as McGinn has been pish of late.
I just know Clarke will go for a 3-5-2, but if he does it'll be the same result as last time.
Ditto re the formation, and with Gilmour in instead of, perhaps, McGinn.

If we can't gain a degree of control in the midfield Vs ROI and Ukraine with McTominay, McGregor & Gilmour in there then we'd be as well packing it in.

Ferguson the only notable drop-out, aside from the injuries we already knew about. 

Porteous and Fraser the notable inclusions - the former a big surprise, the latter maybe less so. 

Not one to get excited about and form/game time is making it look a bit weak. 

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Ferguson the only notable drop-out, aside from the injuries we already knew about. 

Porteous and Fraser the notable inclusions - the former a big surprise, the latter maybe less so. 

Not one to get excited about and form/game time is making it look a bit weak. 

Was about to type the same thing. A lot of players in there not playing/not playing well which i think is a big worry. I know Clarke is very loyal to his squad of players and I don't mind that. But when does the time come when a player in form has to take the place of someone not playing/out of form? 

9 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

I see the usual crowd who think that a place the Scotland squad should be some kind of player of the week award are out in force.

Must be tiring getting so upset about who gets to sit on the bench or in the stand for the national team.

This. I’m not saying the squad is great by an stretch, however if we do get pumped, I doubt the likes of Barry McKay would drastically change it. Now that’s not to say I’m not a fan of say McKay and that I wouldn’t be for the squad getting freshened up a wee bit but I get Clarkes selection. Defence however is a massive concern.

Based on Clarkes previous line ups etc I’d go- Gordon, Patterson, Hendry, Hanley, Tierney, Hickey, McGregor, McTominay, McGinn, Dykes, Adams. 

I’d imagine the line up will be very like this with Gilmour, Christie, Armstrong, Jack and Fraser contenders to be involved. 

18 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Was about to type the same thing. A lot of players in there not playing/not playing well which i think is a big worry. I know Clarke is very loyal to his squad of players and I don't mind that. But when does the time come when a player in form has to take the place of someone not playing/out of form? 

You constantly hear all this about there being the same squad of players and so on, but from that list above only about half of them are absolute fixtures in every single squad.

Kelly and McLaughlin are two of six or seven goalkeepers that have been used, and both have been in and out recently. Patterson, Hickey and Ralston are all relatively new to the squad, Porteous is uncapped and has only been in twice before, Gilmour and Turnbull only made their debuts after being named in the Euros squad barely over a year ago, Brown has been with the squad for less than a year and Fraser is in and out of it.

He's only been the manager for three years and there are only 10 players in this squad who were in his first one.

It depends on the player(s) but I think you need some fresh options on top of the current ones when there are issues like this. I'm genuinely struggling for names but I'd have picked McKay and looked around for a CB and Gilmour/Jack alternative. It wouldn't necessarily be to replace them, but it's left us with a few areas where folk either aren't playing or aren't playing well and there's no alternative.

You constantly hear all this about there being the same squad of players and so on, but from that list above only about half of them are absolute fixtures in every single squad.
Kelly and McLaughlin are two of six or seven goalkeepers that have been used, and both have been in and out recently. Patterson, Hickey and Ralston are all relatively new to the squad, Porteous is uncapped and has only been in twice before, Gilmour and Turnbull only made their debuts after being named in the Euros squad barely over a year ago, Brown has been with the squad for less than a year and Fraser is in and out of it.
He's only been the manager for three years and there are only 10 players in this squad who were in his first one.

Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson are all absolute fixtures. McLaughlin kind of is too but the backup goalkeepers a bit more fluid and Clarke's picked pretty much the only three he can at the moment.

I agree that he's done well introducing players over time - the team we'll field against Ukraine will be much better than the one we did against Cyprus at Hampden - but I still think there's room for a couple of new faces when you're coming off the back of a poor run of performances and players struggling at club level.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson are all absolute fixtures.

They are fixtures now, but I was more meaning from a bigger picture point of view of the sort of loyalty to the same group of guys. You can't simply be chopping and changing every single squad if some of the better players are having a few less minutes. If anything I'm actually a bit disappointed that someone like Ferguson is out this time, because it feels like the sort of guy you'd want to keep around and who can definitely contribute a 15 minutes here or there, especially if you're holding on to a lead.

Quite happy with that, pleasantly surprised with Fraser, thought he was done under Clarke. Not sure we will deviate away from the 3-5-2, if we do then what do we then do when Robertson is back fit, cant keep flitting back and forward between systems especially with so little time on the training pitch.

We are absolutely daffy ducked if something happens to Adams.

Looks about right to me as well. 

I wouldn't have objected to Barrie Mackay being included but as we have Christie, Turnbull, McGinn, Armstrong and Fraser who can play in attacking midfield roles then I doubt there would be much chance of him being involved and it's just a similar scenario to when Ryan Gauld was being clamoured after.

I sometimes wonder if people just get bored of the same group of players and it's more about new shiny toys. Buzzing that Ryan Fraser is back in. It's been a year since Declan Gallagher has been selected so I'd say he's history now and looks like the beginning of the end for Stephen O'Donnell too.

Edited by 2426255