SJFA members in the West

Looks like it's going to be a bigger competition this year then. Watching the pyramid cheerleaders squirm about it is the best part.

Bit surprised about Darvel but reckon they are listening to their long term, traditional fans who know what the Junior cup meant to the village. Have a feeling there may be an ex committee man who has influenced the decision and wouldn't be shocked if he's back in the fold soon. 😉

19 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

SJC or Strathclyde Demolitions Cup? Doubt that was a difficult decision. If the HL, LL and EoS don't want to do a national cup for whatever reason, those that do might as well get on with it.

Ask Drumchapel if SDC was a good decision to be in last season.

2 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

I've always been very pro-pyramid (grew up listening to a former Bo'ness FC fan waxing lyrical about their first division season in the 1920s that could never happen again) but this junior vs senior stuff leaves me cold. Why not take the best of what both grades had to offer and build something better for all rather than rejecting a competition with so much history behind it?

Drumchapel could also access the big Scottish Cup through the SJC or through licensing so what's so special about having an opportunity to rattle 13 goals past Nithsdale Wanderers in what's supposed to be a big showcase event? Maybe the SJC is something the newcomers to the WoS will look at seriously as well? Campbeltown had junior cup entries back in the day that drew large crowds when they made it through to the later rounds.

Hopefully the EoS won't be so obstructive this season if clubs in the east want to participate again but they'll probably need a new set of officeholders for attitudes to shift, unfortunately. A national cup for the pyramid would be a positive development but some people don't seem to be able to move beyond trbalism over grades.

34 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

The extreme examples don't really aid anything. Just as pointing to the 4 clubs out of 100+ that make up the SJC get prize money gives a misleading take on things.

The SJC and SCC need merged/replaced. Right now it looks like the WoSFL will lose at least 4 Saturdays spread across August-October when there will be mass participation in both. When it really should just be the two dates.

27 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I've always been very pro-pyramid (grew up listening to a former Bo'ness FC fan waxing lyrical about their first division season in the 1920s that could never happen again) but this junior vs senior stuff leaves me cold. Why not take the best of what both grades had to offer and build something better for all rather than rejecting a competition with so much history behind it?

Drumchapel could also access the big Scottish Cup through the SJC or through licensing so what's so special about having an opportunity to rattle 13 goals past Nithsdale Wanderers in what's supposed to be a big showcase event? Maybe the SJC is something the newcomers to the WoS will look at seriously as well? Campbeltown had junior cup entries back in the day that drew large crowds when they made it through to the later rounds.

Hopefully the EoS won't be so obstructive this season if clubs in the east want to participate again but they'll probably need a new set of officeholders for attitudes to shift, unfortunately. A national cup for the pyramid would be a positive development but some people don't seem to be able to move beyond trbalism over grades.

I was responding to your post comparing SJC and SDC. Vast number of clubs in both competitions would've made nothing out of them - as usual. Drumchapel don't ( I know they have plans to upgrade DD ) a compliant ground so other than sharing a compliant ground and going through quite a rigorous process - they didn't have licence route to Scottish Cup immediately. Also does SJC still have a place in Scottish Cup ?? I didnt think it did tbh. Even so - SDC was an easier route id've said and The Drum have a big day to look forward to. 

I'm keen on a National tournament at tier 5 and below but there's swathes of clubs that wouldn't trust SJFA to run a bath. If Northern and East Clubs don't want to know then its not National. If SJFA weren't near it & there was decent sponsorship then maybe these clubs would be interested - esp if early rounds were regionalised. Who to run it ? Not Lowland League anyway ... possibly a joint East / West / North committee? As for the trophy - use the current Junior Cup its beautiful. Or give it to Talbot in perpetuity and get another one. South Challenge Cup is a joke in terms of finances. WOS Cup was a laughing stock this year due to time of final and withdrawals. So cups need sorting. A competition run in co-operation with and including all the leagues can be incorporated into the season much better. It does need sorted

26 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The extreme examples don't really aid anything. Just as pointing to the 4 clubs out of 100+ that make up the SJC get prize money gives a misleading take on things.

The SJC and SCC need merged/replaced. Right now it looks like the WoSFL will lose at least 4 Saturdays spread across August-October when there will be mass participation in both. When it really should just be the two dates.

Hardly extreme. They benefited greatly from a competition that only had around 15 or 16 teams in ? ( sorry if that's way out ). Their only realistic way into Scottish Cup in a hurry. See my post above. Cups need sorted - its who runs it that's the problem I guess. 

1 minute ago, BANKIEBILL said:

Hardly extreme. They benefited greatly from a competition that only had around 15 or 16 teams in ? ( sorry if that's way out ). Their only realistic way into Scottish Cup in a hurry. See my post above. Cups need sorted - its who runs it that's the problem I guess. 

Technically it is as the only reason they got into the Scottish Cup was winning the subsequent Cup Winners Shield. If you combined the Strathclyde/Alex Jack/Alba Cup participants think it would have been 50+.

The South Challenge Cip is ran by a competition committee of 8 members. Two each from the WoSFL/EoSFL/SoSFL/SLFL. It would be easy enough to do something similar with the 8 pyramid leagues sending one rep each and an independent to split any ties.

Or you know have the SFA handle it. Hampden final. A live draw on their social media roughly every other month. I mean they already do the discipline for the SCC.

Said before call it the Scottish Open Cup and anyone in the pyramid leagues is invited to take part. Which gets around the issue of Highland League clubs not interested but wanting it to be a national competition. Puts the blame on them opting out.

The Scottish junior cup will have to be renamed because it's not all areas of Scotland that play in it anymore so it's misleading ?maybe they could call it The West North cup . It's just like the South challenge cup can't be named the non league Scottish cup.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Technically it is as the only reason they got into the Scottish Cup was winning the subsequent Cup Winners Shield. If you combined the Strathclyde/Alex Jack/Alba Cup participants think it would have been 50+.

The South Challenge Cip is ran by a competition committee of 8 members. Two each from the WoSFL/EoSFL/SoSFL/SLFL. It would be easy enough to do something similar with the 8 pyramid leagues sending one rep each and an independent to split any ties.

Or you know have the SFA handle it. Hampden final. A live draw on their social media roughly every other month. I mean they already do the discipline for the SCC.

Said before call it the Scottish Open Cup and anyone in the pyramid leagues is invited to take part. Which gets around the issue of Highland League clubs not interested but wanting it to be a national competition. Puts the blame on them opting out.

I'd be good with that tbh. It should be played at Hampden and as an SFA tournament - free to host. 

For those not keeping up this is the state of play thus far re: SJFA membership. Will try & keep this updated upon any further news.

Rejoined

Bellshill Athletic*
Darvel
Royal Albert
Rutherglen Glencairn

Resigned

None

Unknown

Forth
Neilston
Port Glasgow
Vale Of Clyde

* posted on here with no official source as of yet

30 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They don't want to be involved in running another competition. Other than providing referees.

21 minutes ago, wow-wee said:

The Scottish junior cup will have to be renamed...

The east region still participates as the Midlands League so this isn't even particularly good flame bait. 

42 minutes ago, BANKIEBILL said:

...but there's swathes of clubs that wouldn't trust SJFA to run a bath...

Tom Johnston has retired and everybody is in the pyramid now meaning the SJC has no replays and doesn't take priority over league fixtures so I'm not sure there's really any rational reason for concern over that at this point. There's much more reason in the here and now to be concerned about how the Lowland League is handling issues like colt teams and relegation.

The only way to get a proper Tier 5 and below national cup is for the SFA to run it. The East clubs see the SJFA as a very West oriented organisation. It’s time to lay the junior cup to rest, let it be a historical icon, not a competition that loses value every season it is played. 

2 hours ago, South_Pride said:

The only way to get a proper Tier 5 and below national cup is for the SFA to run it. The East clubs see the SJFA as a very West oriented organisation. It’s time to lay the junior cup to rest, let it be a historical icon, not a competition that loses value every season it is played. 

But it’s gaining value next year.