1st 11 come September

On 14/06/2022 at 23:40, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Other than Tierney, a happy Fraser, a re-energised Forrest, and a fit-again Nisbet, there are no obvious players missing?  I doubt anyone has time to demand a call up from outwith the call ups for 2022.

We're you blootered when you wrote this? He's shite and has the heart of a pea.

A fit again Forrest and a happy Fraser would be smashing. We could play my beloved 4-5-1.

(Homer Simpson drooling gif)

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2022 at 17:40, General dissaray said:

Charlton Athletic are in league one terrible standard he isn't Scotland class never was never will be

Hoho! You don't like someone else other than yourself touting random (usually shite) Scots from the English lower leagues then? I'd be spitting feathers too at the thought of someone jumping ahead of Maxwell Blackpool in the queue.

4 hours ago, Scumjob said:

Hoho! You don't like someone else other than yourself touting random (usually shite) Scots from the English lower leagues then? I'd be spitting feathers too at the thought of someone jumping ahead of Maxwell Blackpool in the queue.

When I mentioned Maxwell he was playing every week in the league above,that is the difference untill the injury massive difference 

Guest Livi1

I think going to a back 4 gets the best out of our squad    

Gordon

Patterson Souttar McKenna Robbo

Tierney

McTominay Gilmour MacGregor 

McGinn

Adams/Stewart

4/1/3/1/1

Could play Turnbull instead of McGregor, I’m hoping Turnbull will start to take over from McGregor in the near future.

Tierney as a holding/defensive midfielder, since I think he could adapt and play the position well. But I’d be willing to try Campbell or Ferguson in there. It’s a position that we are weak in. But I think Tierney is capable of playing the role to a high standard. 

Just now, Livi1 said:

I think going to a back 4 gets the best out of our squad    

Gordon

Patterson Souttar McKenna Robbo

Tierney

McTominay Gilmour MacGregor 

McGinn

Adams/Stewart

4/1/3/1/1

Could play Turnbull instead of McGregor, I’m hoping Turnbull will start to take over from McGregor in the near future.

Tierney as a holding/defensive midfielder, since I think he could adapt and play the position well. But I’d be willing to try Campbell or Ferguson in there. It’s a position that we are weak in. But I think Tierney is capable of playing the role to a high standard. 

I dont really disagree with this line up and approach, but would find it hard to put Tierney into that position unless he was showing he can do it at club level.

Like you tho I could see him playing there very well and could be another good solution for us with Robertson and Tierney.

Clarke has shown he is willing to think outside the box with regards to positions of players. So perhaps its possible he would try it.

Guest Livi1
45 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I dont really disagree with this line up and approach, but would find it hard to put Tierney into that position unless he was showing he can do it at club level.

Like you tho I could see him playing there very well and could be another good solution for us with Robertson and Tierney.

Clarke has shown he is willing to think outside the box with regards to positions of players. So perhaps its possible he would try it.

I think Tierney is one of those players that can play a number of positions well. I think he just has a very good reading of the game, a high football IQ, and is technically a very good footballer. He’s played left-centre half for Arsenal and Scotland and he adjusted pretty quickly, I think he could play as a holding midfielder/ defensive midfielder and it wouldn’t take him long to adjust. 
It would also allow McTominay to play his natural position, which he never does for club or country. Unlike Tierney, McTominay, in my opinion, should only play as a box-box midfielder, he can’t play multiple positions. But given the chance, I think he could be a very good box-box midfielder. It’s a shame for him that’s he’s never allowed to play his natural role for Man Utd or Scotland. 

I see everyone that's posted a preferred XI to date picked John Souttar. We had the chance to see alternatives across the back-three over the course of the June international window which was a bit of a bonus and gives a better idea going forward what our options are.

I think if everyone is injury free the preferred three central defenders are McTominay-Hanley-Tierney and I definitely like that set up, but you'd have to go back to the Poland friendly to see that starting combination and I believe you'd have to go back all the way to Euro 2020 to see that combination start a competitive game due primarily to injury and suspension. 

On 03/07/2022 at 18:17, Livi1 said:

I think Tierney is one of those players that can play a number of positions well. I think he just has a very good reading of the game, a high football IQ, and is technically a very good footballer. He’s played left-centre half for Arsenal and Scotland and he adjusted pretty quickly, I think he could play as a holding midfielder/ defensive midfielder and it wouldn’t take him long to adjust. 

Tierney played a few games in centre mid for Celtic. I think he was playing in midfield when he spanked in that worldy v Kilmarnock. I think he ended a few games at left wing as well?

Guest Livi1
On 05/07/2022 at 13:42, Loominous said:

I see everyone that's posted a preferred XI to date picked John Souttar. We had the chance to see alternatives across the back-three over the course of the June international window which was a bit of a bonus and gives a better idea going forward what our options are.

I think if everyone is injury free the preferred three central defenders are McTominay-Hanley-Tierney and I definitely like that set up, but you'd have to go back to the Poland friendly to see that starting combination and I believe you'd have to go back all the way to Euro 2020 to see that combination start a competitive game due primarily to injury and suspension. 

I think we need to get away from the back 3 as our main formation. There maybe times to use it. Against very good teams, tricky away ties etc. But I think we should be transitioning to a back 4. In my opinion our main strength is in midfield, if the correct balance can be achieved. By playing 3/5 at the back we are trying much too hard to shore up the weakest aspect of our team, instead of playing to our strengths.

Edited by Livi1

Tierney os the main man for me we are so much better when he is on the park. That said he is one of those players who is consistently injured for whatever reason.  So we need to find a formation and style which will work without him so we don't collapse in a heap when he doesn't play and as above pushing him into a sweeper type role might be one system that works. 

Tierney os the main man for me we are so much better when he is on the park. That said he is one of those players who is consistently injured for whatever reason.  So we need to find a formation and style which will work without him so we don't collapse in a heap when he doesn't play and as above pushing him into a sweeper type role might be one system that works. 
I agree with the strategy, definitely, but I don't think Tierney is quite the permacrock we're making him out to be.

I know that, circa 2018/2019, he did have a spell of something like 2 full years of missing international matches due to various injuries. But since then, by and large, he's been available for us for the majority of Clarke's reign.
He's been injured at two really important and inconvenient times (opener at the Euros and Ukraine playoff), and it's perhaps the magnitude of those games (and how much his absence f*cked us) that perpetuates the "he's always injured" thinking.

But again, yes, let's find a system that isn't so easily undone with the absence of one player.

I said years ago Tierney was our best player. Not many on here agreed, everyone does now.

And for a permacrock he's played 350 games aged 25. That's outstanding.

The only problem is Celtic didn't look after him when he was a kid. There's been a legacy from that.

Not convinced adopting a 4atb will be the solution everyone seems to think it will be. We played nearly 90 minutes across three games of the June window with 4atb - mostly when we were forced into taking risks in an attempt to get back into the game which for me tells its own story. I put the combinations used below. 

image.png.aec4d9e27e541f13cf7a15bbb62128cf.png

Steve Clarke obviously still thinks it's too big a risk to play 4atb with our current list of centre-backs which is no change from the original reasoning for moving to 3atb in the first instance and looking at our options it's hard to disagree.

Edited by 2426255