Broxburn Athletic

9 minutes ago, RobM said:

Anyway Broxburn's thread, should show them some respect and leave them to it.  Good luck to the ex-Burgh boys over there, except against us obviously.

Darren D already on the scoresheet against Bo’ness on Saturday👍

On 16/07/2022 at 20:08, Deanburn Dave said:

Connor Wallace is still really slow with his decision making when he has the ball. Thinks about throwing it to 5 different players before he does anything. It used to frustrate the BU fans when he was our back up keeper.

Wasn’t at the game on Saturday so can’t comment on it.

Think the comment above is harsh on the lad as he has been one of the most consistent performers over the last 4/5 years.  Didn’t have the best season last year as was plagued by injury but now just returning to fitness so good to see he has re-signed.

All the best to Bo’ness for the upcoming season 👍

I think you will be challenging this season,once you get some cb back and a settled team. The new players brought in have created competition for places and will make sure everyone knows they have to play well to stay in the team.

• 2 weeks later...

Two games in and four points is not a bad return, considering the injury situation.

Unconvincing at VOL and a shade fortunate to pick up a point last night in a very entertaining game.  In saying that when we went 2-1 up there only looked like one winner.  Fair play to Musselburgh for coming back strongly in the last 20 minutes or so.

Still don’t think we know what the best 11 is or what formation suits us best.  

Always going to be a bit of a hit and miss start with the number of new players being brought in, but hopefully we will gel as the season goes on.

Mon the Brox 🇵🇪🇵🇱🇮🇩

A draw was definitely a fair result,  but the couple of chances Musselburgh had at the end, they musy be wondering how they never got the 3 points. Especially the effort off the line right at death!

Two sides with a lot of new signings for the season... and it showed. Both had periods of good possession and knocked it about nicely  interspersed with both giving the ball away quite cheaply.

Both sides have strikers that are going to get plenty goals this season, but all the scoring last night came from lapses at  the back.

Two sides that definitely look like they'll improve as the season goes on and new signings gel together. 

Broxburn will be disappointed to have not seen it out at 2-1... you feel once the team settles 3 points like that will come.

Similarly, Musselburgh probably can't believe they didn't snatch it at the end... again once their side settles down, that's something they can put right going forward. 

I think comfortably top half finishes for both... maybe just a little too much rebuilding for both in the summer to push for promotion this season... but still a lot of football before any silly predictions like that should be made!

Onto the 'Burn derby at the weekend!

1-1 draw in the Burn Derby

Broxburn still look like the are  bedding in the new signings which just left some of their play a little disjointed.

Very fortunate Broxburn goal to take the lead... a clear handball in the build up that I think everyone except the officials saw! Still, play to the whistle and it was a good finish from the edge of the box.

But if I was Blackburn, I'd be raging!

Equaliser was sloppy. Poor underhit pass out from the Broxburn goalie which the Blackburn forwards were all over. Just as the defender got to it, striker tackled him which saw the ball ricochet off the woodwork. Just as it looked like Broxburn had got away with it, the man in support followed up and got just enough on a shot to squeeze past the keeper.

Broxburn kept bombing up and down the wings with no reward, anything they got into the box was well dealt with by Blackburn defence. The one clear chance they made, just fell to the wrong man who smashed a shot against a defender... had it just gone more towards Errol Douglas, surely he'd have made sure. The big striker won a lot of ball, but was lacking in support which meant Broxburn never really got into an attacking stride.

A silly red card for 2nd booking near the end for Gillan and Blackburn nearly took advantage, I think everyone thought they'd scored a last minute winner with a great turn and shot on the angle, but it went just wide.

A draw was maybe just about right on the day as very little between the sides in what was a pretty entertaining match.

Edited by Jordi1977

2 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Broxburn still look like the are still bedding in the new signings which just left some of their play a little disjointed.

Very fortunate Broxburn goal to take the lead... a clear handball in the build up that I think everyone except the officials saw! Still, play to the whistle and it was a good finish from the edge of the box.

Equaliser was sloppy. Poor underhit pass out from the Broxburn goalie which the Blackburn forwards were all over it. Just as the defender got to it, striker tackled him which saw the ball ricochet off the woodwork. Just as it looked like Broxburn had got away with it, the man in support followed up and got just enough on it to squeeze past the keeper.

Broxburn kept bombing up and down the wings with no reward, anything they got into the box was well dealt with by Blackburn defence. The one clear chance they made, just fell to the wrong man who smashed a shot against a defender... had it just gone more towards Errol Douglas, surely he'd have made sure. The big striker won a lot of ball, but was lacking in support which meant Broxburn never really got into an attacking stride.

A silly red card for 2nd booking near the end for Gillan and Blackburn nearly took advantage, I think everyone thought they'd scored a last minute winner with a great turn and shot on the angle, but it went just wide.

A draw was maybe just about right on the day as very little between the sides in what was a pretty entertaining match.

The ref DID see it and told the Blackburn players that he had read the new handball rule and because it came off the Broxburn player onto his own hand it WASN'T a handball .... I think he might be wrong on that!

10 minutes ago, PastyMan said:

The ref DID see it and told the Blackburn players that he had read the new handball rule and because it came off the Broxburn player onto his own hand it WASN'T a handball .... I think he might be wrong on that!

That's a very interesting interpretation....

And if correct, clearly a perfectly worked traing ground move from Broxburn!!

Think if I was Blackburn, I'd be even more raging with that explanation...

More points dropped. Could of easily been 0 points today. But not all doom and gloom. Players to come back will help and some more games to gel in the new players we can get better. When we do get Erroll a bit of service I can see him finding Downie and that could be a great forward partnership. Here's hoping anyway

2 hours ago, Jordi1977 said:

Broxburn still look like the are  bedding in the new signings which just left some of their play a little disjointed.

Equaliser was sloppy. Poor underhit pass out from the Broxburn goalie which the Blackburn forwards were all over. Just as the defender got to it, striker tackled him which saw the ball ricochet off the woodwork. Just as it looked like Broxburn had got away with it, the man in support followed up and got just enough on a shot to squeeze past the keeper.

Fair assessment of the game, but not the Blackburn goal although it was sloppy.  

Pass to defender was fine but he miscontolled it and his pass back to the keeper was a hospital ball.  The GK’s clearance was blocked onto the bar.  It falls to a Blackburn player 8 yards out who fires home off the keeper who is a bit unlucky not to keep it out.

Pity for the defender, who I thought was outstanding today.

A pretty scrappy game IMO, not helped by the strong wind blowing down the pitch. Draw a fair result with Broxburn being better first half, Blackburn better second.

I didn't see the handball for the Broxburn goal, and don't ask me what the rules are these days, so I'll pass on that. Our equaliser was as pointed out, a bit of a howler for the Brox defence, but we'll take it. Could/should have won it at the end when a 3 on 1 break saw the square ball for our two unmarked in the middle just overhit.

Should set things up nicely for the Scottish.

24 minutes ago, Blowin In the Wind said:

Pass to defender was fine but he miscontolled it and his pass back to the keeper was a hospital ball.  The GK’s clearance was blocked onto the bar.  It falls to a Blackburn player 8 yards out who fires home off the keeper who is a bit unlucky not to keep it out.

Ahhh fair enough, from where I was it looked like the initial pass out was a little off, which caused it all to unfold. Keeper definitely made a decent effort to keep the final shot out, may have even got a touch on it? But it just seemed to swueeze past him.

Either way it's 100% the sort of thing Broxburn need to address and cut out if they want to get a run together...

I predict some work on playing out from the back and seeing games out in the next few training sessions!

41 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

Ahhh fair enough, from where I was it looked like the initial pass out was a little off, which caused it all to unfold. Keeper definitely made a decent effort to keep the final shot out, may have even got a touch on it? But it just seemed to swueeze past him.

Either way it's 100% the sort of thing Broxburn need to address and cut out if they want to get a run together...

I predict some work on playing out from the back and seeing games out in the next few training sessions!

Yes not helped that our two best ball playing centre half are injured.  

Think they are trying to play the modern way out from the back, but you have to have the players to do it 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Another tough one next week up in Perth, plus a banana skin cup tie midweek.

49 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

A pretty scrappy game IMO, not helped by the strong wind blowing down the pitch. Draw a fair result with Broxburn being better first half, Blackburn better second.

I didn't see the handball for the Broxburn goal, and don't ask me what the rules are these days, so I'll pass on that. Our equaliser was as pointed out, a bit of a howler for the Brox defence, but we'll take it. Could/should have won it at the end when a 3 on 1 break saw the square ball for our two unmarked in the middle just overhit.

Should set things up nicely for the Scottish.

Yes definitely handball but don’t know what the rule is this week!!!

The ex-Blackburn defender did really well on the 3 on 1 break to hold his position.  As you say Blackburn could have won it at the death.